Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by gmt4
How long until others announce the same thing? DL, AA, B6, WN, F9, NK? UA can't be alone in the pain.
BA has recently announced ~30% reduction. They will all join the rest of the herd soon.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
UA employees, before deciding what to do, read up on the WARN act. It will likely be triggered in every major UA office.
While this is good advice in general, notification in July of a layoff on October 1 appears to be within both the spirit and the letter of the law.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by username
I too don't understand why people would voluntarily leave if there is no severance package and no unemployment. What is the incentive?
Smart people would only voluntarily leave if they have a new job.

While airlines certainly have a lot of very specialized jobs, they also have people who can easily use their skills in other industries.

Obviously, Flight Attendants and Pilots aren't likely to easily find a new job before October. But, ramp workers might be able to find a job in logistics. Ticket/gate agents might be able to find customer service positions. And employees at the call centers might (rather easily) find work at other call centers.

Stuff like that.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think that even outside of the airlines this world is about to enter a period of economic feudalism the like we have never seen, and certainly never experienced, before. These are dark times.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Am I the only person to find the use of the term "separation" here cringeworthy? Why this continual obsession with mis-using longish words in corporate speak in the US nowadays?
strickerj likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
There was an article this morning about 30% pilot reductions. This quote from UA's Chief Pilot was disturbing:

“This displacement bid aligns pilot staffing to a schedule reduction of around 30%, yet our schedule in May, and our expected schedule for June, is reduced by 90%. No one knows when travel demand will return, so unfortunately, the results of this displacement are likely to be a baseline from which future displacements are conducted.”

Is he saying pilot reductions will be proportional to schedule reductions? If that's true for other functions (FAs, mechanics, etc.) then UA might go from 100,000 employees on Jan 1, to 10,000 employees on Oct 1? That would be a tragedy.
We discussed this before. It is not a directly proportional relationship to the entire workforce.

If the zero-demand/zero-revenue environment is still the case in October, we are looking at a collapse of the global economy and most assuredly the end of the line for most airlines.

At this point, 30% cut (2020 vs. 2019) is the target for most airlines, but this is definitely a “plan for the worst, hope for the best” scenario. 6 weeks ago, a transient 70% demand drop was a worst-case estimate. It’s incredible to consider the speed and intensity with which this situation evolved.
tuolumne and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
considering the age of the FA's

Vol separations may make sense for UA.. They last went into bankruptcy in 2002, when their pension plan was replaced with a savings plan. That helps explain why I see so many FA's working who are over age 65. Withour a pension, the main incentive to continue workig is/was the travel benefits. The value of this benefit has been significantly reduced, so why not separate?
Old May 5, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Smart people would only voluntarily leave if they have a new job.

While airlines certainly have a lot of very specialized jobs, they also have people who can easily use their skills in other industries.

Obviously, Flight Attendants and Pilots aren't likely to easily find a new job before October. But, ramp workers might be able to find a job in logistics. Ticket/gate agents might be able to find customer service positions. And employees at the call centers might (rather easily) find work at other call centers.

Stuff like that.
Youre assuming companies are hiring. At 25% unemployment, I don’t think finding a new job is possible for significant numbers of UA employees.
BearX220 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Wow. This is horrible news. I feel so bad for all those United employees who have to find new jobs. United must really for fast that things are going to be bad if their laying off 30% of employees. What if things get a lot better much faster. What will United do. Let’s hope their like a whether man.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So we taxpayers gave United, and other carriers, billions in bailout money with the result being a massive cut in service and coverage and a plan to decimate the workforce the moment the no-layoff restriction is lifted at midnight Sept 30?

I think we've been taken for a ride on this deal - the bailout should have required an immediate layoff so people could collect unemployment with the $600 subsidy today through end of July and regular unemployment through end of the year, with a requirement for 75% or better payroll restoration no later than January 1, 2021, or the government would assume full equity ownership of the carrier until the loan was paid back. What idiot inked this dumb arrangement?

Unless we see a big bounce back in the economy within 30-45 days, which is unlikely, I am hopeful the morons in Washington will extent that $600 through end of the year. It can make a huge difference for people who are laid off in an industry where finding replacement work is not easy.
That is true with all of the stimulus programs: a one-time $1,200 payment, the $600/week extra PUA for a few months, super limited/restricted PPP, and the nearly nonexistent EIDL and it's ghost-sibling, the EIDL advance. The American government cannot afford to keep band-aiding these massive wounds indefinitely. And they surely can't prop up United or any airline until the goalpost of having a cure/vaccine is hit ...if it's even possible. And this disaster is not just with the travel industry: it is wide and deep across most. {removing OMNI topics} there's only so many levers you can pull when the economy is effectively shut down indefinitely.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2020 at 10:24 am Reason: removing OMNI topics
Old May 5, 2020, 8:18 am

After 20 years of feeling like I've been hanging on by my fingertips I can honestly say I'm done. I've elected Voluntary Separation taking the severance and looking forward to doing something else. I put my resume out yesterday and have two interviews tomorrow. I'm looking forward to my next chapter.
BearX220, cruisr, tuolumne and 5 others like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COGal
After 20 years of feeling like I've been hanging on by my fingertips I can honestly say I'm done. I've elected Voluntary Separation taking the severance and looking forward to doing something else. I put my resume out yesterday and have two interviews tomorrow. I'm looking forward to my next chapter.
Good luck to you & your future!

Originally Posted by username
I too don't understand why people would voluntarily leave if there is no severance package and no unemployment. What is the incentive?.
It serves as a reality-check for people to take control of their own destiny rather than wait for someone else to make the decision for them. If you were considering a new career or going back to school for an education in something different, it may be a better to plan that route now rather than wait until October when it may be too late to enroll in or try something new. If someone was on the fence about whether or not their job was viable, now would be a good time to update the resume and get it out there now; that would give you at least 4-5 months lead ahead of the inevitable downsizing coming in the fall.

And even if there was significant "voluntary separation", they'll still need to make even more significant job cuts if demand remains non-existent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2020 at 8:54 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 5, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Wow. This is horrible news. I feel so bad for all those United employees who have to find new jobs. United must really for fast that things are going to be bad if their laying off 30% of employees. What if things get a lot better much faster. What will United do. Let’s hope their like a whether man.
I think over the last few years, the amount of money/cash UA was making, they were literally creating/making new positions left and right. I believe they've become way to heavy in Sr Managers and above. I will always believe in great opportunities for a company, one still needs to look at are we making positions just because or do we get a good ROI on this position.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by emma dog
Youre assuming companies are hiring. At 25% unemployment, I don’t think finding a new job is possible for significant numbers of UA employees.
This. A lot of people are out of work right now, and while the service industry has been hardest hit, it's starting to hit a lot of people. I know someone whose husband works for GE and they're laying off a significant number of people in the engineering department apparently (with more to come in the summer). Universities/schools are suffering, hospitals are laying off tons of people, etc. More and more people starting to get impacted.

There's a reason experts predict a double-digit unemployment rate (11-16%) into 2021.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I think over the last few years, the amount of money/cash UA was making, they were literally creating/making new positions left and right. I believe they've become way to heavy in Sr Managers and above. I will always believe in great opportunities for a company, one still needs to look at are we making positions just because or do we get a good ROI on this position.
Saw this report from Reuters, United Airlines to cut 30% of management in October, preparing pilot changes too: company memos
United Airlines Holdings Inc (UAL.O) plans to cut at least 3,400 management and administrative positions in October as the coronavirus pandemic crushes air travel demand,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.