FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United email from mid March 2020 re restricted boarding on Israel bound flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016916-united-email-mid-march-2020-re-restricted-boarding-israel-bound-flight.html)

LDC12002 May 1, 2020 11:10 am

United email from mid March 2020 re restricted boarding on Israel bound flight

I received email from United around 4 days before a March 20 scheduled flight to Israel. Email informed me that my family (7 people) would not be allowed on plane unless we had proof of place to quarantine in Israel for 14 days. Trip was only 11 days and we obviously had no place to stay for quarantine. Email indicated that we could apply for refund if unable to use tickets by one year from purchase (which would be July 2020). Unfortunately I cannot find that email (must have accidentally erased it) and am unable to retrieve it. Other people must have received the same email and I would appreciate getting copy to bolster my claim for refund from United.

WineCountryUA May 1, 2020 11:36 am

Welcome to FT!, LDC12002

This may not qualify for a full refund but rather future credit. You will need to call to see but if UA operates the flight, then the normal refund rules do not apply. The access / entry problems you have may not qualify for a refund but a credit instead. UA will provide transportation (at this time), it is up to you to be eligible for entry and not qualifying or not being what you want is "your problem."

So call and see what UA is offering.

SteveHK May 1, 2020 11:38 am

Fun story: in early March I few to TLV only to be denied entry because I had been in Italy 6 days earlier. Got to fly right back to EWR on the same plane I came in on. UGHH that was a LONG day.

Had Polaris going there, but only got PP on the return.

Moral of the story: be sure you know the rules before you go!

LDC12002 May 1, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks. I have appealed to United and am waiting. However, I would like to see the copy of the email as I immediately canceled flight after seeing it and was certain that it had said that refund was available.

WineCountryUA May 1, 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by LDC12002 (Post 32341484)
Thanks. I have appealed to United and am waiting. ...

How, by email? Best to go to an agent - phone or twitter. Very poor success rate via email / website.

Originally Posted by LDC12002 (Post 32341484)
and was certain that it had said that refund was available.

And not "credit"?

keisari May 1, 2020 5:40 pm

WineCountryUA
United is still flying from EWR to TLV one flight a day only

WineCountryUA May 1, 2020 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by LDC12002 (Post 32341019)
I received email from United around 4 days before a March 20 scheduled flight to Israel.....

Assume you properly cancelled the trip, it should be showing as a Cancelled trip in My Trips. What options are showing there?

If you were offered a refund, why do you not request a refund when you canceled the flight?

Originally Posted by LDC12002 (Post 32341019)
. ... if unable to use tickets by one year from purchase (which would be July 2020). .....

BTW, UA has extended all pre-3 March 2020 purchased tickets to have a 2-year life and if a refund is not available you can present convert the canceled flight to a 2-year Electronic Ticket credit and another year to take the trip. -- so as much as into April of 2023.

LDC12002 May 2, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks. I did appeal by phone.

My reading of the email led me to believe that it would be an automatic refund. When I received that portion of the ticket price that corresponded to payment for the upgraded seats but did not receive the rest of the ticket price, I then called United and was informed that I had to actually request refund for the rest of the ticket price by one year from date of purchase - July 21, 2020.