FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's dubious cleaning procedure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016799-uas-dubious-cleaning-procedure.html)

narvik Apr 30, 20 8:00 am

UA's dubious cleaning procedure
 
I was shocked to see this, ESPECIALLY as it's so recent:
United is touting their great procedures in cleaning the planes (from https://hub.united.com/united-corona...5397564.html):

"Ensuring our aircraft cleaning standards meet, and in many cases, exceed CDC guidelines. Our aircraft are cleaned at a variety of touchpoints throughout the day. The cleaning procedure for flights includes a thorough wipe down using an effective, high-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaning of lavatories, galleys, tray tables, window shades and armrests."

Just be aware that if any of the employees cleaning the plane have COVID-19 they'll be spreading it on all surfaces. Absolutely no physical distancing, and no one is wearing masks :mad::confused::td: (they are wearing gloves for some strange reason though, as it wouldn't help COVID-19 from spreading or infecting the workers):

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0e6f6563a2.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f9e47f5109.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ea1015eb06.png

The above pics are screen-grabs from United's YouTube video posted on April 24, 2020:

EWR764 Apr 30, 20 8:04 am

I believe this video was filmed in early April, before widespread acceptance of masks-at-all-times guidance.

Still, a bit of a mixed message now.

narvik Apr 30, 20 8:09 am


Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32337221)
I believe this video was filmed in early April, before widespread acceptance of masks-at-all-times guidance.

Still, a bit of a mixed message now.

No kidding!
Should be taken down IMMEDIATELY and if they choose to do so, re-shoot with the help of an expert's advice (who is knowledgeable in regards to the spreading of this disease).
And by the way, in early April it was already well-know that masks help and gloves do not!

These two are about 0.5m apart and facing each other with no masks! THAT is ridiculous for anything published after January this year having to do with "promote social distancing in the air and on the ground" <--- that quote is from the SAME web page!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d8c27b72b2.png

AirbusFan2B Apr 30, 20 8:15 am

Itís a profound messaging blunder and doesnít inspire confidence that UA leadership has the required acumen to navigate this pandemic. Itís a liability exposure of huge proportion. I feel sorry for those workers as theyíre so exposed.

EWR764 Apr 30, 20 9:00 am


Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 32337246)
It’s a profound messaging blunder and doesn’t inspire confidence that UA leadership has the required acumen to navigate this pandemic. It’s a liability exposure of huge proportion. I feel sorry for those workers as they’re so exposed.

From a liability perspective, not exactly, but is it any surprise that United's messaging is disjointed?

You'll find similar transgressions in most corporate videos of this kind, especially those hastily produced a month or so ago in the midst of the demand collapse.

clubord Apr 30, 20 9:48 am

Iíve been flying quite a bit lately, Iíve never seen both the airplanes and the airports so clean...ever.

Out of my Element Apr 30, 20 12:33 pm

The gloves are to protect them from caustic chemicals. I have no answers for the rest of the issues

GuyIncognito Apr 30, 20 1:05 pm

How about "empowering" the flight attendants to wipe down some of the common touch points (doors, bathroom counters) during the flight?

FlyngSvyr Apr 30, 20 1:17 pm


Originally Posted by GuyIncognito (Post 32338165)
How about "empowering" the flight attendants to wipe down some of the common touch points (doors, bathroom counters) during the flight?

The FA's are part of the cleaning process now. I have seen a FA touch up the FC lav recently & I have talked to FA's & they are doing some form of cleaning on the ground. Especially on "turns" or connections where cleaners would not normally enter the planes.

chipmaster Apr 30, 20 5:52 pm

Easy to fingerpoint, but I'm sure that your trip from home to do daily things versus flying will find you encountering far more high risk situations.

Clearly UA could clean up their marketing as well, but is this a surprise, LOL

Nagasaki Joe Apr 30, 20 9:03 pm


Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32337221)
I believe this video was filmed in early April, before widespread acceptance of masks-at-all-times guidance.

Still, a bit of a mixed message now.

Good point. As late as the end of March (possibly even a little later), the WHO was advising that masks were useless against COVID-19 and they advised not to wear them.
I'm not sure how the science suddenly changed, but now the WHO recommends everyone wear masks. So yes, not good messaging, but the time of the photo may give the answer.

bhunt Apr 30, 20 9:38 pm


Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe (Post 32339380)
Good point. As late as the end of March (possibly even a little later), the WHO was advising that masks were useless against COVID-19 and they advised not to wear them.
I'm not sure how the science suddenly changed, but now the WHO recommends everyone wear masks. So yes, not good messaging, but the time of the photo may give the answer.

Most people dont understand how masks and respirators work.

Best thing to keep you from breathing in particles is an N95 respirator that seals tightly on your face. 2 problems with these. 1. People dont adjust the metal bands around nose to make air tight. 2. If you have Covid should not wear these because valve on mask blows your particles out.

Surgical mask: They are actually designed to keep the person wearing it from contaminating sterile environment. Not as good as an N95 but will effectively keep most particles out.

Bandana and other cloth. Same as Surgical mask keeps you from spreading covid more then protecting you from getting covid.

ryman554 May 1, 20 8:52 am


Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 32339427)
Most people dont understand how masks and respirators work.

Best thing to keep you from breathing in particles is an N95 respirator that seals tightly on your face. 2 problems with these. 1. People dont adjust the metal bands around nose to make air tight. 2. If you have Covid should not wear these because valve on mask blows your particles out.

Surgical mask: They are actually designed to keep the person wearing it from contaminating sterile environment. Not as good as an N95 but will effectively keep most particles out.

Bandana and other cloth. Same as Surgical mask keeps you from spreading covid more then protecting you from getting covid.

+1.

Masks aren't to prevent you from getting sick. They are to prevent you from getting others sick. This is crucially important for asymptomatic folks.

Wash your hands before putting your fingers in places if you don't want to get sick. Or wear gloves and then wash your hands.

TBD May 1, 20 9:33 am

We all know these procedures are a huge improvement over what we had before. We also know that no procedure will remove all personal risk. It seems entirely possible that disinfectant remains on surfaces for a minute until it dries and therefore it is also possible that the crews' masks have -zero- impact on your personal risk.

Excoriate United (and others) all you want for what you perceive as the wrong move. Unless you're a microbiologist or epidemiologist, you aren't really qualified to evaluate the situation in the first place.

Mama May 1, 20 1:55 pm


Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr (Post 32338206)
The FA's are part of the cleaning process now. I have seen a FA touch up the FC lav recently & I have talked to FA's & they are doing some form of cleaning on the ground. Especially on "turns" or connections where cleaners would not normally enter the planes.

So I was correct all along. United's FA did not clean toilets in first, business, or economy (before COVID-19), because it was not their job.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:10 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.