Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will the "investment" to earn UA MMer and higher have been worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will the "investment" to earn UA MMer and higher have been worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In what timeframe? The fact that United has removed valuable benefits from MM in the past speaks for itself.
You mean the gifted RPUs?

FWIW - UA also gives you the companion status as an exchange.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
If anything, I expect MM status to be worth more. We all know virtually no one is flying right now, and that will probably continue for several months. After we get back to a "new normal", most likely fewer people will be flying than in the past. I just think too many businesses and workers have gotten used to teleworking and will accept going forward that much of what used to require travel can still be accomplished without travel. (I'm saying this as someone whose success in my careers have largely been based on building and maintaining personal relationships, which I think will ALWAYS require in-person interaction.)

Given that fewer people will be traveling, and people will be traveling less, the accumulation of FFMs will slow down. Whatever models United had for how many people would cross each MM threshold each year are now out the window--it's going to be MUCH less. As such, I think those who meet those thresholds will be treated with more respect and, hopefully, benefits. After all, loyalty to a single airline now should be seen as more valuable than ever.
Dromomaniac and CIT85 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:24 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by zrs70
Flew for years and reached 2MM a couple of years ago. Was elated to be set for life.

But the game will change, and status may not mean the same thing. The airline will change. The program will change. What will MM status look like moving forward?
Since MM (currently?) maps to Premier tiers, the real question is what will happen with the Premier tiers going forward.

As a 2MM I viewed the transition to PlusPoints as a plus as a 2MM Platinum can now redeem those for 1 W > J GPU vs only have two RPUs. OTOH the loss of fee-free awards at the Plat level was disappointing but do not see that as a MM problem, rather it's a Platinum problem.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
"Worth it" viewed as an investment where the money you spent in the past to fly those miles will bring you something with even greater value in the future? Not going to happen.

"Worth it" viewed as experiences where you flew all over the world during times when borders were open; and were able to sample cuisine, culture, and see things that are no longer possible to visit? To borrow from the old Master Card commercial - Priceless.

If you take a really generic figure of $.10 per qualifying mile, which is a lowball amount, you spent at least $200,000 to accumulate those 2 Million miles. United Airlines will not be compensating you anywhere near that amount in future benefits. That much is certain.

But I sincerely hope you have amazing memories, photos, and stories that make each one of those miles flown worth every penny. I'm only at half your miles flown, but don't regret any of them, even if United folds tomorrow and they become "worthless."
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I think the biggest devaluation for MM is the new *A lounge restriction policy that keeps people out unless you're flying *A that day. Before this year, any *A could go to any lounge overseas...or any international lounge domestically. For me, the lifetime *A gold+ perk was the biggest benefit lost.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think the biggest devaluation for MM is the new *A lounge restriction policy that keeps people out unless you're flying *A that day. Before this year, any *A could go to any lounge overseas...or any international lounge domestically. ....
Believe you are confusing the UC member access policy and the *A lounge access policy.

A* lounge access policy has always required a same day departure BP for *G. It is the United Club members that previously had not required a Same Day BP, that is now required since Nov 2019.
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2020 at 9:59 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by J.Edward
As a 2MM I viewed the transition to PlusPoints as a plus as a 2MM Platinum can now redeem those for 1 W > J GPU vs only have two RPUs.
This is the part I am confused.

Before PlusPoints, MM do not receive any RPUs/GPUs unless they actually flew the required distance. But based on what UA has said so far, any respective tiers will receive respective PlusPoints.

So does that mean a 3MM can get 320 PlusPoints each year without flying?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Q:
Will the investment to earn MM and higher have been worth it?

A:
No
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I did everything I could to take advantage of the merger and the short term opportunity to get it; and I did.

I certainly think MM status is "nice". One of the bloggers suggested getting infected with COVID (hopefully letting it pass) and then taking advantage of rock bottom fares... I suppose it could be done, but I come back to the same answer I have for earning status these days. (And I used to MR all the time, but that was > a decade ago). Spending money for nebulous benefits does not make sense. ITs great if you earn on OPM, and its probably OK if you top off a status with a MR. IF you're going de novo for status, it doesn't make sense. F and J are generally cheap enough (for the purposes of leisure travel, which is what most people are earning to get benefit from) that you can just BUY what you want, cheaper than earning the status where you get a shot at winning an occasional upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you're viewing it as an investment, then no. Never was.

If you're viewing it as an incidental perk of things you would have done anyway, then sure.
cricketer, UA_Flyer, CIT85 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I’ve always considered ‘status’ a nice perk. I need to fly for work and for me at least, schedule, connections and comfort are more important than cost. I may be using some OPM but it’s my butt in the seat week in and week out. MM status allows me to shop around and not be concerned about retaining status and I still find myself on UA most of the time. With all the changes, cuts and reductions being able to gift co-equal status to my +1 is the most important right now.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; May 25, 2020 at 5:15 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
.... One of the bloggers suggested getting infected with COVID (hopefully letting it pass) and then taking advantage of rock bottom fares....
Seriously? Which blogger?
Meanwhile how many others will he infect while he goes around licking subway poles.
Sounds like a perfect Darwin Award contestant.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
My 2MM status came with my own money being spent and body having to endure the experience.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
To me, it was an investment each year to make 1k and/or fly UA enough to get at least premier exec because I wanted the perks and to be treated well during IRROPS, boarding, upgrades, and on board. I do admit, though, that premier exec for life was a nice carrot that I had in mind as I picked UA over AA and did BIS miles vs credit card like you could on AA and CO -- their programs weren't as nice as UA's for lifetime status. Flying those years when I flew a lot, I felt I was treated pretty well. Knocking us pm-UA MM down below the CO flyers really stung, but also delivered the message loud and clear. *A gold, E+ seats, sometimes a free checked bag are worth something, but unless you are really close or live in a captive hub, i'm not sure I would try for MM now like i did before.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I’ve always considered ‘status’ a nice perk. I need to fly for work and for me at least, schedule, connections and comfort are more important than cost. I may be using some OPM but it’s my but in the seat week in and week out. MM status allows me to shop around and not be concerned about retaining status and I still find myself on UA most of the time. With all the changes, cuts and reductions being able to gift co-equal status to my +1 is the most important right now.
That describes me up to about October/November 2019!
It changed then, and will likely continue so after flights resume.

1K was fantastic while the benefits were fantastic. Some GREAT memories and flights with UA!

Then I was proud to save the company some $$$ by not flying direct and choosing non-UA airlines.
It was less convenient as far as routing was concerned, but guaranteed J seating (no GPU lottery), better service, and the added benefit of exploring new locations (at the connection cities), and the savings easily made up for growing frustrations with sticking with UA.
UA_Flyer and Dublin_rfk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.