Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Can a pax with a pet buy a seat for the pet? In just Y or also in C or F?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:22 pm

We have had to ship our pets as cargo coming into and now going out of Hawaii. The animal cargo is not like our luggage, they do take really good care of them. They are stricter with temps (how long the animals stay on the tarmac, kennel requirements) It's really not as bad as it seems. Both of our dogs, the cat (via Northwest back in 06) and our parrot via Delta also in 06) all did great. Yes, it is more expensive, but to me, it is worth it knowing they are cared for differently then my suitcase. But the cost has definately increased (especially if you send them unaccompanied) We are paying more than double this time around.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
No more quarantine if you do the right paperwork. Direct release at neighbor islands. We take our two dogs home to Maui in August. Almost could not do it. Going Boise-SFO-Maui. Now that they are checked at cargo, cargo does not open until 5:30AM. Can't take 5:30AM flight to SFO. Next flight to Maui is 11AM but it is Boise-LAX-Maui. Went to book it and the LAX-Maui flight was originally Continental flight and we could not combine UA and C flights for cargo until Nov. 2012. After an email to BOI station manager, he agreed to open cargo at 4AM on our flight day so we could check the dogs at cargo and still make the 5:30 AM flight. THANK YOU UNITED FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!! One of the good changes since the merger.
Aloha

Originally Posted by Brasila
Just curious. How are you able to get around Hawaii's strict animal quarantine rules? I have never seen a cat or dog on an inbound Hawaii flight.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
TATL Pet in cabin policy on UA

Does anyone know what the current policy is for in cabin pet travel (5pd doggy) to Europe (MXP) on UA please? Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Location: Kapalua, Maui- just paradise and Sun Valley, Idaho!!
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K .96MM (1MM this year-humm)
Not sure as I take my two little "Boys" as cargo from Hawaii to main land. Here is United's number for PetSafe 800-575-3335 and ask them. I'm sure they or will point you in the right direction. Be prepared fro a long hold time when you call Petsafe. My last couple of times was 30 and 45 minutes. Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Does anyone know what the current policy is for in cabin pet travel (5pd doggy) to Europe (MXP) on UA please? Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold, Avis First
My wife and I just flew on UA 908 from ORD to AMS. We brought the dogs this time as we were moving. Small dogs (under 12 or 13 lbs I believe was the weight, but I've never actually had them check) that are in a soft carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you are fine. We each flew with one small dog so not an issue. Remember to call before hand to register the dog on the flight with you. There will also be a $125 fee in each direction. The pet also counts as one of your carryo-ns so keep that in mind.

Save yourself a headache and fly E or E+ no matter what anyone tells you. The dogs have to be kept under the seat in front of you and with the new lie flats there isn't an under seat space in first or business. Not all of the customer service agents you'll speak to have caught up on the difference.

You have to have a certificate from your vet no more than 10 days old certifying that they are current with their rabies shot and are healthy to fly. Check with the customs for the country you are entering for what requirements they may have outside of this form. There were a whole slew of them for the Netherlands and they had to be stamped by the USDA as certified so do your homework upfront and save your puppy a trip to quarantine.

Originally Posted by lapeter
Not sure as I take my two little "Boys" as cargo from Hawaii to main land. Here is United's number for PetSafe 800-575-3335 and ask them. I'm sure they or will point you in the right direction. Be prepared fro a long hold time when you call Petsafe. My last couple of times was 30 and 45 minutes. Good Luck!!
Ditto on the long hold times for pet safe. Make sure you say in cabin pet when you call or you will wait for a long time to be redirected.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 13, 2012 at 11:30 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by GrandDaddyLongLegs
My wife and I just flew on UA 908 from ORD to AMS. We brought the dogs this time as we were moving. Small dogs (under 12 or 13 lbs I believe was the weight, but I've never actually had them check) that are in a soft carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you are fine. We each flew with one small dog so not an issue. Remember to call before hand to register the dog on the flight with you. There will also be a $125 fee in each direction. The pet also counts as one of your carryo-ns so keep that in mind.

Save yourself a headache and fly E or E+ no matter what anyone tells you. The dogs have to be kept under the seat in front of you and with the new lie flats there isn't an under seat space in first or business. Not all of the customer service agents you'll speak to have caught up on the difference.

You have to have a certificate from your vet no more than 10 days old certifying that they are current with their rabies shot and are healthy to fly. Check with the customs for the country you are entering for what requirements they may have outside of this form. There were a whole slew of them for the Netherlands and they had to be stamped by the USDA as certified so do your homework upfront and save your puppy a trip to quarantine.

Ditto on the long hold times for pet safe. Make sure you say in cabin pet when you call or you will wait for a long time to be redirected.
VERY helpful, thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:06 pm

Bringing home two little birds I bought. Question?

Quick question. I purchased a couple of very small birds (finches) and was wondering if there is anyway around paying the $125 fee to bring them on the plane with me on my trip home? That seems pretty high considering the travel case they are flying in is no bigger than a woman's purse.

Anyway to use miles to get a seat for them (since its only 10,000 for a one way seat)?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:31 pm

God I hope they don't allow this... (unless they are silent birds)

I was on a flight a few weeks back, and a cat was meowing incessantly. It was worse than a baby crying...

A bird tweeting the whole flight would be too much... (And, as we all know, birds are the only things that can tweet on UA flights! )
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In-cabin pets
United allows domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and birds to be carried in the aircraft cabin on most flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125.00 service charge each way ($250.00 for roundtrip travel). For travel exclusively on United Express by Silver Airways, the in-cabin pet service charge is $50.00 each way ($100.00 for roundtrip travel). Pets can be booked online or by calling United Reservations for assistance.
Purchasing an "extraseat" will not bypass the need to pay the in-cabin pet fee.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:47 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
God I hope they don't allow this... (unless they are silent birds)

I was on a flight a few weeks back, and a cat was meowing incessantly. It was worse than a baby crying...

A bird tweeting the whole flight would be too much... (And, as we all know, birds are the only things that can tweet on UA flights! )
well unless you are on P.S....
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Dog as Travel Companion - Stupid?

I do a lot of international travel and have been thinking about getting a small dog as a travel partner. Does anyone have any experience with this? I knew someone who did a RT TPAC every month and always traveled with a dog in the cabin. Assuming the vaccination/quarantine issue can be solved, I was wondering.

1. Can you take a small dog as cabin baggage in UA on GF.

2. Will the FAs allow the dog to share the seat during the flight or do they have to be in some kind of carrying case on the floor throughout the flight?

3. How do you handle bio-breaks for a dog on the plane.

4. Will UA allows dogs in an IFL?

5. Am I totally out of mind to think this could possibly work?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The are many restrictions on entry of animals from the USA into other countries as you moted
Originally Posted by 5khours
...Assuming the vaccination/quarantine issue can be solved, I was wondering.
also what will you do with the animal if you have to go into a place of business.

Beleive the new pod seats do not allow for animal carrier into the cabin.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
I do a lot of international travel and have been thinking about getting a small dog as a travel partner. . .
You may want to consider a human companion too. . . Unlike small dogs, they can talk and bring you water. You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to accompany you on a paid int'l itinerary.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:27 pm

.... 1. Can you take a small dog as cabin baggage in UA on GF. ...
this and other questions are covered in In-cabin pets
Pets are not permitted in United First, United Global First, United BusinessFirst or United Business on Boeing 747, 757, 767 or 777 aircraft due to inadequate storage space under the seat.
.... 2. Will the FAs allow the dog to share the seat during the flight or do they have to be in some kind of carrying case on the floor throughout the flight? ...
Pet must remain in the kennel at all times while on board the aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.