Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

Your fee for the pet does provide you with a benefit as I have been informed by others on this forum that if it is between me and the pet boarding the plane it will be the pet that gets preference.
No. Being denied boarding would be due to a medical condition which precludes you from flying safely and comfortably. Re-accomodating you on a flight that doesn't present an allergen is the solution offered to you. The pet fee has nothing to do with this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:39 pm

As someone with allergies to animal dander I like this rule. If I see an animal on a flight I make sure to enquire of the GA if the animal is seated near me, and if so then I ask to be moved. Most of the time I am in the FC cabin and the pet is way in the back in E-. I was seated in E+ (earlier this year) where someone with a pet was put in the bulkhead seat and had to be moved and was moved next to me by the FA (although I was not paying attention) and I did not realize until during take-off hen I started wheezing and my eyes started running. The pax with the pet told me there was no way her animal caused that reaction - fantastic, yes my eyes just start running and I start wheezing all of a sudden but it is not caused by your animal - irrespective I asked the FA to be moved once we were in the air and the FA told me I needed to sit in my assigned seat - I questioned why the pax with the pet was not in their assigned seat (to be told they could not sit in their assigned bulkhead seat) and so they found a seat further back for me. Yes, animals come before people on United (well at least that was my experience on that flight) so not feeling sorry for you about this rule about no CPU.

Your fee for the pet does provide you with a benefit as I have been informed by others on this forum that if it is between me and the pet boarding the plane it will be the pet that gets preference.
What medicine do you take when you have this reaction?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
What medicine do you take when you have this reaction?
Ventolin for the wheezing to open the airpassages.

For the sneezing and runny nose, a tissue. Since it is an allergy it will stop when I get away from the animal and that part is not life threatening.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
No. Being denied boarding would be due to a medical condition which precludes you from flying safely and comfortably. Re-accomodating you on a flight that doesn't present an allergen is the solution offered to you. The pet fee has nothing to do with this.
I am the one that would need to be moved to an alternative flight, not the pet. Therefore, the pet has priority over me as they get to stay on the scheduled flight, as I understand the scenario.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2018 at 8:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

I am the one that would need to be moved to an alternative flight, not the pet. Therefore, the pet has priority over me as they get to stay on the scheduled flight, as I understand the scenario.
Tomato/Tomatoe. Still, the "pet fee" is not what is driving this. I get from your perspective they have priority over you, however in practice and policy, that's not what is happening. You are removed from the flight due to a health issue. That's the action being taken to ensure you are comfortable and safe. Taking the pax with the pet and the pet off to accommodate someone else's medication condition is not a solution the airline is going to provide.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the many changes in policy of pet travel, have archive older posts in this archive thread.
The active thread is Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.