Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Removes *A Partner Award Chart (appears initial 10% bump starting 1 July 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
As I said, it was announced last year when they removed the award chart for UA as of November 15. While they said that partner award amounts were not changing for the time being, I considered it obvious that they would eventually be increased, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
I do take issue with the fact that UA would at least not give some advance notice - much lees any notice at all!
Stating back in November that partner awards were not changing "for the time being" and now this overnight downgrade, just doesn't cut it IMHO.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
I do take issue with the fact that UA would at least not give some advance notice - much lees any notice at all!
Stating back in November that partner awards were not changing "for the time being" and now this overnight downgrade, just doesn't cut it IMHO.
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion. "For the time being," to me, indicated "these will change." And, keep in mind, the switch to dynamic pricing in the first place was also overnight -- boom, there was no cap for flights after November 15. They did notify people, but they didn't provide people any time to make bookings before the charts went away.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by cfischer
what irks me is the 'no warning' piece. Completely inconsistent with prior increases and ... still no Email from UA about this change. They way UA conducts business these days is just not what it used to be. Sad.
Would a warning matter? No matter what you are going to be upset. I understand being frustrated and and I am about other devaluations but I’m not sure a warning would have mattered.

Im sick with with whatever this new UA is, and more upset with myself that I didn’t put points to use last month.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Why would hitting it make any difference?
UA has already screwed over lifetime MM, lifetime club, and lifetime silverwings before.

UA's word is meaningless.
Apparently UA managed to convince a judge that words can be broken without any consequences. I think the abrupt change in the UAMP program just after a recent revamp says all that needs to be said about UA.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
One of the benefits of booking award travel was the ability to change itineraries at a nominal $$ cost and equivalent miles (based on availability.) Well this benefit is basically lost with dynamic award pricing because you won’t know what the future mileage charge will be for the same city pairs, class of service, and award redemption level. 😡

SL
coolbeans202 and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Of course this is dynamic pricing. Same flight, different dates, different price = dynamic pricing. There's nothing for *A to be "ready" for. Ever since they added the 2500/3500 booking surcharge for close-in awards to partner itineraries, it's been clear that UA had the ability to charge more points than the chart suggested; that's the only readiness required. Pricing doesn't have to be tied to the cash price or inventory levels to be dynamic -- it just has to change based upon some factor.

As I said, it was announced last year when they removed the award chart for UA as of November 15. While they said that partner award amounts were not changing for the time being, I considered it obvious that they would eventually be increased, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm reminded of the recent topic about whether or not this was a good time to use award miles. It is always a good time to use award miles, because they depreciate constantly. This is just another example of that. I'm not happy that the prices are changing, but I'm certainly not surprised.
You may call it dynamic pricing, but it is not. Dynamic pricing is one that fluctuates over time based on a number of parameters, which is not the case here at all. It's a plain an simple devaluation.
leoo likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
You may call it dynamic pricing, but it is not. Dynamic pricing is one that fluctuates over time based on a number of parameters, which is not the case here at all. It's a plain an simple devaluation.
Agreed.

Dynamic pricing, which DL excels at, spits out a different mileage price for every flight based on price.

This is just UA deleting charts so that they can devalue without needing to let us know about it.

Really glad we just gave $5B to bail them out.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dynamic pricing is a devaluation. The idea that people were somehow going to be able to get a better deal from dynamic pricing never made any sense and was never a possibility. When you see those deep discounts on award tickets that other carriers tout -- cash prices are usually pretty low too.

Anyway, when UA goes in and makes it worse, by raising the prices even further on some itineraries, then you'll agree that it's dynamic pricing?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Apparently UA managed to convince a judge that words can be broken without any consequences.
No - UA convinced Judges in multiple trials that the courts don't have jurisdiction and airlines are mostly exempt from state consumer protections.

On the flip side - I just don't see why this is such a big deal given how easily miles are accrued. Everyone knew this was coming. It is what it is.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
On the flip side - I just don't see why this is such a big deal given how easily miles are accrued. Everyone knew this was coming. It is what it is.
Yeah, miles are relatively easy to earn (compared to AA), but only if you stick to UR and never use an MP credit card.
You'd think given how expensive awards are these days, their new Visa Infinite card would have some good earning rates. Instead it is completely underwhelming.
lsquare and cuthroat like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
No - UA convinced Judges in multiple trials that the courts don't have jurisdiction and airlines are mostly exempt from state consumer protections.

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-b...rship-program/

Judge Hamilton: To understand the difference between lifetime and fingers crossed? That lifetime doesn’t mean lifetime?

United: That lifetime means lifetime unless…

Judge Wood: Unless we change our mind.

Judge Hamilton: Unless we change our mind.

United: Yes, that’s exactly right. That’s the case.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blug
Yeah, miles are relatively easy to earn (compared to AA), but only if you stick to UR and never use an MP credit card.
You'd think given how expensive awards are these days, their new Visa Infinite card would have some good earning rates. Instead it is completely underwhelming.
Agreed. With this devaluation, I can't imagine this being a good thing for Chase. As consumers get better educated on this matter, they may avoid Chase UA cards if the value isn't there.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
For premium cabin, this looks like it's only applied if there is no partner segment in coach in the same region. In other words, even one partner coach segment should keep it at the old rate.

Any counterexamples?
I think I've got two counter examples:
EDI-ZRH in J on LX
ZRH-LAX in J on LX
Still pricing at 70k post 7/1

EDI-BRU in Y on SN
BRU-ZRH in J on LX
ZRH-LAX in J on LX
Pricing at 77k post 7/1

I'm also seeing
EDI-FRA in J on LH
FRA-SFO in J on UA
SFO-LAX in Y on UA
Pricing at 66k post 7/1 which makes no sense (10% increase over what it was earlier in the week and the longhaul is on UA)

All three of these are on the same date in July
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:25 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
There are some counter examples for USA-China itinerary with ANA segments. SFO-NRT-CTU with ANA operating both segments or only NRT-CTU segment will cost 35K, and the same for SFO-DEN-NRT-CTU/SFO-LAX-NRT-CTU with ANA operating NRT-CTU segment; however, SFO-LAX-NRT-CTU will cost 38.5K if ANA operating both LAX-NRT and NRT-CTU segments. This oddity only appears to be with ANA. For itinerary with segments operated by other Asian carriers like Asiana, Air China, Singapore.... it is a consistent 10% increase.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I think I've got two counter examples:
i checked some dates for NYC-BKK in J and saw a handful of one way awards at the previous 90k level. The vast majority though were at the newly inflated 99k level.

At the new award level (and the nominal 2cpm cost) it is more cost effective to book a r/t revenue ticket and earn some miles while you are at it. You do lose the easy change of itinerary functionality though.

SL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.