FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016578-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively-archive.html)

MARIOCASTRO777 Jun 22, 2012 5:03 am

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}

Hello I have a question I am wait listed on a domestic flight for an upgrade I am a 1k and using a regional upgrade.
How do they clear when a seat is avaliable first the people on the waitlist or the complementary upgrade to elites
Basically what is better to stay in the list or drop the list and see to get an upgrade via complementary upgrades for 1K
Thank you

sbm12 Jun 22, 2012 5:45 am

Having the RPU on the record prioritizes you above CPUs.

MARIOCASTRO777 Jun 22, 2012 6:02 am

That is great thank you so I will stay with the Regional.
Who has more prioraty regional or global upgrades when they are on a domestic flight waitlist.
Thank you for all your help I still have 4 SWU I will not use them what can I do ?

eleeut Jun 22, 2012 6:11 am

don't change. i believe RPUs are same priority as GPU, so switching wouldn't improve your situation.

chinatraderjmr Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am

You may not clear like you should on an RPU (automatically). Very important you check R availability every day. If you see R is available, CALL res and have them either force it manually, or take out your RPU request and then put it right back. SHARES does not clear upgrades the way UA used to. They "say" there is a sweep. But when? Daily, weekly, monthly? If R is avail it should be yours w a GPU/RPU

MARIOCASTRO777 Jun 22, 2012 6:40 am

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}

Thank you then what can I do with 4 Global upgrades

Sterndogg Jun 22, 2012 7:57 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18800512)
You may not clear like you should on an RPU (automatically). Very important you check R availability every day. If you see R is available, CALL res and have them either force it manually, or take out your RPU request and then put it right back. SHARES does not clear upgrades the way UA used to. They "say" there is a sweep. But when? Daily, weekly, monthly? If R is avail it should be yours w a GPU/RPU

Very true and I've had to do that twice since 3/3.

Amazing and let's hope this is for the long haul but was waitlisted for an IAH-BOS using a regional for next week and received an email this morning that the waitlist upgrade cleared - never received an email like that before aside from the sporadic UDU email back in the day.

sbm12 Jun 22, 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18800512)
They "say" there is a sweep. But when?

Actually, for RPU/GPU clearance there is no sweep process. It is supposed to be handled immediately when the inventory is released by RM. There were definitely issues with one of the systems not handling it properly but I believe those are mostly resolved at this point.

chinatraderjmr Jun 22, 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18801105)
Actually, for RPU/GPU clearance there is no sweep process. It is supposed to be handled immediately when the inventory is released by RM. There were definitely issues with one of the systems not handling it properly but I believe those are mostly resolved at this point.

But in "real time". If a NF/NC became available, UA used to apply it directly to the wait list. It never went into availability, even for a second unless there was no wait list. You say it's been resolved. Is it working like pmUA used to do it?

sbm12 Jun 22, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18801427)
But in "real time". If a NF/NC became available, UA used to apply it directly to the wait list. It never went into availability, even for a second unless there was no wait list. You say it's been resolved. Is it working like pmUA used to do it?

It is supposed to be. Basically there is a process which is supposed to run as RM opens up those buckets and checks to see if there are any pending waitlists. Last I heard it was functional and they had addressed a few problems it was having. That said, I haven't had any personal experience in the past couple weeks.

channa Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18801441)
It is supposed to be. Basically there is a process which is supposed to run as RM opens up those buckets and checks to see if there are any pending waitlists. Last I heard it was functional and they had addressed a few problems it was having. That said, I haven't had any personal experience in the past couple weeks.

What if RM doesn't open up the buckets (i.e., someone cancels and the space goes back to R1)?

The problem with CO's design is they don't always cover all the possible scenarios. PMUA's design was a true, real-time waitlist. As soon as the space opened, for whatever reason, it cleared the next person.

sbm12 Jun 22, 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18801494)
What if RM doesn't open up the buckets (i.e., someone cancels and the space goes back to R1)?

:confused:

In what world does someone canceling an award immediately see the inventory go back into public availability versus operating under the same formulae and considerations as the rest of the RM process??

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18801494)
As soon as the space opened, for whatever reason, it cleared the next person.

And my understanding is that the current system is designed the same way.

I really do love reading about how the company hasn't considered things which don't actually happen as a means to fabricate differences between systems which don't actually exist.

jacroweORD Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am

have R=1 on pending flt and am in the window for a CPU...no upgrade as of yet...

mysteries of the upgrade process..sure not like it used to be..could count on it like clockwork when the window opened.

channa Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18801649)
:confused:

In what world does someone canceling an award immediately see the inventory go back into public availability versus operating under the same formulae and considerations as the rest of the RM process??

And my understanding is that the current system is designed the same way.

If you're saying that's part of the same process, that's great. I've seen things go back immediately to inventory on several occasions.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18801649)
I really do love reading about how the company hasn't considered things which don't actually happen as a means to fabricate differences between systems which don't actually exist.

We've seen a number of examples post-3/3 where they have not taken scenarios into consideration that have stalled their rudimentary business processes.

Given the quality we've seen from this technology group in the past few months, questioning whether they've accounted for various scenarios is perfectly legitimate.

TIMOS Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18801441)

I've had to cal and manually clear upgrades on 6 ps sectors since 3/3

The last being about a week ago.
The problem is not fixed!