FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Curious why United still flying to and from Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016497-curious-why-united-still-flying-australia.html)

evecolorado Apr 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Curious why United still flying to and from Australia

Hope this doesn't sound judgmental, it's pure curiosity, but I wonder why United still has daily flights to Australia. Might people still be being repatriated? Cargo? Mail? Other reasons? I've been checking as I've got a return flight to Sydney scheduled for August and if I flew now (even if I were allowed on the plane), my vacation would be spent in a hotel in self-isolation!

Currently:

Australia: Travel restrictions

Travelers are not allowed to transit through or enter Australia, except for those listed below:
  • Nationals of Australia and their immediate family members
  • Permanent residents of Australia and their immediate family members
  • Nationals of New Zealand residing in Australia
  • Airline crew
  • Diplomats accredited to Australia and currently residing in Australia, and their immediate family members
  • Nationals of Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States), Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa (American), Solomon Isl., Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu when they are transiting through Australia to their home country
All travelers are required to self-isolate for 14 days from their arrival into Australia. If their duration of stay is less than 14 days, they must self-isolate for the entire duration of stay.
Please be aware that from midnight Friday, April 3, 2020, domestic and international arrivals will be required to pay for their accommodation and food (which could amount to AUD $2,500 per room).

garykung Apr 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Military.

Most of UA's current international destinations have U.S. military personnel stationed in those countries (not including Marine Guards from any diplomatic posts).

UA_Flyer Apr 25, 2020 7:41 pm

NASA has tracking stations in Australia with operations. Government related travels.

I would jump on the SFO-SYD if I could for work, but being an American, I am not able to get in regardless of quarantine.

BlueZebra Apr 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Possibly cargo. Mail. And are these flights subject to the bailout rules on requiring at least some flights, based on the number of normal flights?. Australians returning down under?

All of these possible reasons have been discussed here.

jsloan Apr 25, 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra (Post 32324959)
And are these flights subject to the bailout rules on requiring at least some flights, based on the number of normal flights?.

No. Those rules only apply to domestic destinations.

anniegray Apr 26, 2020 2:25 am

A lot of it is cargo

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 2:49 am

Cargo, military, diplomatic/governmental, repatriation either way, and some essential travel.

sannmann Apr 26, 2020 5:14 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32324881)
Military.

Most of UA's current international destinations have U.S. military personnel stationed in those countries (not including Marine Guards from any diplomatic posts).

Secretary Esper signed a stop movement order through June 30.

Often1 Apr 26, 2020 7:18 am

Cargo, cargo & cargo.

There is close to zero government (military + civilian) travel at this point. The exception in the OZ entry (as well as US) are simply to permit the travel should it be essential.

gmt4 Apr 26, 2020 7:30 am

Cargo and (limited) pax. UA is the only airline on the SFO-SYD route, QF isn't flying international at the moment so there is a large cargo gap.

UA has even been flying 2x daily for a while 1 Cargo, 1 Pax (+cargo). https://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KSFO/YSSY

Thew1961 Apr 26, 2020 11:53 am

I also really don't understand it. As for my point of view, it's irresponsible. For example, the UAE do really nothing to stop it inside the country. They closed everything only for 5-7 days. Now people can go easily outside and relax. At the time when people are dying everywhere.

seanp7 Apr 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thew1961 (Post 32326303)
I also really don't understand it. As for my point of view, it's irresponsible. For example, the UAE do really nothing to stop it inside the country. They closed everything only for 5-7 days. Now people can go easily outside and relax. At the time when people are dying everywhere.

There are entire threads in OMNI where you can debate the morality of it.

As others have mentioned, cargo is a big part of it. I'm glad the option is there - my father is sick in Australia and if I need to go home quickly, UA would be able to take me.

FlyerBeek Apr 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 32325597)
Secretary Esper signed a stop movement order through June 30.

That doesn't mean the military isn't traveling commercially for mission-essential travel. Lots of exemptions in that stop movement order (including any travel required for Global Force Management activities), and even non-exempt restricted travel can be waived at just the one-star level.

-FlyerBeek

lhrsfo Apr 26, 2020 3:02 pm

By the same reckoning, why is UA flying internationally at all, as the US is restricting entry to non-citizens/residents. It’s all down to cargo and travel by people with dual status.

sannmann Apr 26, 2020 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 32326381)
That doesn't mean the military isn't traveling commercially for mission-essential travel. Lots of exemptions in that stop movement order (including any travel required for Global Force Management activities), and even non-exempt restricted travel can be waived at just the one-star level.

-FlyerBeek

Yes, but SecDef issued a stop movement order. Travel is discouraged. Exemptions must be justified.