Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Curious why United still flying to and from Australia

Curious why United still flying to and from Australia

Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sannmann
Yes, but SecDef issued a stop movement order. Travel is discouraged. Exemptions must be justified.
Then Cargo. Also - there is JDF Pine Gap as well.

In short - it is easier and cheaper to utilize UA than sending a C-130 or similar transport aircraft.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
There's also a handful of exceptions on compassionate grounds too.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...neral/12182724
Old May 1, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: United 1K
Drastic Change in Arrival Times in SYD

I've traveled to Sydney on United on and off for over fifteen years. I just noticed a drastic change in the arrival times. Before, flights would leave the US around 11 pm and you would arrive in SYD around 7 am two days later. Now, it appears that departures from SFO leave around 11:15 am and arrive in SYD the next day at 7:10 pm. The departure times in SYD have not changed, so this means that the planes stay overnight in SYD, which I would imagine cost the airline money, but perhaps no longer in this COVID-19 world. I had a non-refundable ticket paid for June, and since this change is over six hours difference, I would be eligible for a refund. Just wanted everyone to be aware.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Perhaps due to deep cleaning protocol it needs to sit on the ground longer
Old May 2, 2020, 4:55 am

I assume anywhere they are flying is because of the below

1) still demand (unlikely)
2) will cost them more to not fly (contract, slots, etc)
3) mail and cargo contracts
Old May 2, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Yeah/ I mean the fact they're running a second flight that they don't normally run ( UA 2812 ), which is empty of pax.... means its all cargo.

It's kind of fun though, because you can see what seats are blocked by default on every flight if you look at the seatmap for 2812.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Cargo, and incremental pax traffic, as United is currently the only airline flying at all between the USA and Australia, and the only passenger flight between AU and North America.

There are also all-cargo LAX-SYD flights.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Luv-2-Travel
Now, it appears that departures from SFO leave around 11:15 am and arrive in SYD the next day at 7:10 pm.
That's a schedule change I wish could stick but won't because of connections when things get more normal. Such an easier flight to take daytime - board near lunchtime - take a nap - land for late dinner - be able to check in for hotel - go to sleep.

The only time I fly to Hawaiian is when I go to SYD as they have a similar schedule when it is running
Old May 2, 2020, 5:52 pm

Was scheduled to fly MEL-SFO in August. Just saw the schedule update and that flight (UA 61) now says in my reservation:

This flight segment is cancelled or not confirmed.

It seems there is no UA metal out of MEL within at least days of that departure and I was not re-booked on another flight. So I will assume that UA is suspending all MEL service for August. Time to call for a refund unless the agents try to force me on to a QF flight connection through SYD that leaves within 6 hours of original departure?
Old May 2, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raidersfan1
Was scheduled to fly MEL-SFO in August. Just saw the schedule update and that flight (UA 61) now says in my reservation:

It seems there is no UA metal out of MEL within at least days of that departure and I was not re-booked on another flight. So I will assume that UA is suspending all MEL service for August. Time to call for a refund unless the agents try to force me on to a QF flight connection through SYD that leaves within 6 hours of original departure?
Given the current covid-19 pandemic and continuing deaths/infection rates in USA IMHO cannot see the Australian government allowing entry from USA this calendar year, unless an Au citizen/resident or a specific exemption.
On current rules you would need to do 14 days isolation in Sydney, before going to Melbourne.
Will be flights SYD-MEL, but only 1(?) per day now. In August would expect many more, but not at August 2019 levels

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
USA 184.19 deaths per million (and not slowing down much)
Canada 79.38 deaths per million
Australia 3.53 deaths per million (and slowing down. Few new cases per day)
New Zealand 3.94 deaths per million (and slowing down. Few new cases per day)

Edit
From another thread:--> Odds of an Australia trip 28 June 2020

Originally Posted by IMOA
Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
This indeed is a depressing thought. In January of this year we plonked down a substantial sum in airfare for travel in late November-December of this year on Qantas to/within AU from the US for a special anniversary trip. I do hope things improve enough in 7 plus months for us to actually go.
Coming from the US I don’t like your chances. I expect that NZ and pacific islands will be first in and then next will be asian countries with a good track record like Taiwan and Hong Kong. US is currently one of the epicentre’s and is opening up long before it is under control so will probably get second, third and fourth waves. To get to Australia in november, i.e. before realistic chance of a vaccine or effective treatment, you will need to have pretty much eradicated the virus from your shores and have no open borders with countries that haven’t. Chances of the US being there would probably be 10% at best.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 2, 2020 at 7:02 pm Reason: fixing link
Old May 2, 2020, 7:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raidersfan1

UA is only offering service to SYD in the near term / summer.

If you prefer a refund, that is the way I would start the conversion.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Given the current covid-19 pandemic and continuing deaths/infection rates in USA IMHO cannot see the Australian government allowing entry from USA this calendar year,...
The OP is asking about MEL--> SFO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.