Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small Aircraft in the mid to late 90s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Possibly a Saab 340?

I remember flying one of those on CoEx from, I think, Pittsburgh to Newark. I remember it was pretty unique since the back wall of the plane was 4-across. Thought that was a pretty cozy configuration at the time.... was very very grateful for my single seat on the port side.

Lots of those little planes back then - the Beechcrafts, and EMB-120's, and Saabs... I don't miss any of 'em.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I flew the J31’s often in the mid 90’s (on TWA Express) from St. Louis to Joplin.

HATED those planes. They seemed to go out of their way to find air pockets. People around me often got sick.

That wing thing that ran throug the center of the cabin, necessitating stepping over it to get from back to front...

The tight seat pitch.

With regard to the comment above about security ... In the late 80;s, I worked for an airline in Nantucket. At the time, the rule was that if a flight had fewer than 30 seats, it didn’t require security. If the flights arrived into an airport within their security area, we would then do security locally. If the flight came into an airport outside the secure area, we didn’t do security. It was really a flawed system!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Possibly a Saab 340?
Oh, I think I flew them too.
When did United [Express] get rid of those?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Possibly a Saab 340?...
OP seemed to suggest no FA, which means less than 20 passenger seats. The Saab 340 was 30+ seater
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OP seemed to suggest no FA, which means less than 20 passenger seats. The Saab 340 was 30+ seater
It also sounds like a Dash-8, which had the 5-wide bench seats on the rear bulkhead. The middle seat as the end of the aisle so by the far the most legroom of any seat in the sky.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...da_Dash_81.php

https://prijet.com/img/aircraft/Dash-8-100-int.jpg
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by catocony
It also sounds like a Dash-8, which had the 5-wide bench seats on the rear bulkhead. The middle seat as the end of the aisle so by the far the most legroom of any seat in the sky.
Also 30+ (37) seater and required a single FA.
Plus had a cockpit bulkhead.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by UAzip
The 19-seater Jetstreams had miserable 28-inch pitch. I think I only ever took one once
Well, it was an improvement over the Metroliners it replaced. Then the CRJ-200 came along and everybody was so happy to be on a real jet! LOL
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
IIRC, the DeHavilland Twin Otter may also fit the OP's description.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The FA part is interesting - in my (possibly faulty) recollection there was an FA seated front left, but she didn't move out of her seat, she reached into the cockpit so the pilot(s) had first choice from the basket of biscuits, then it was passed around, she didn't come down the aisle with them.

I did have a look at the JS41 today, that doesn't seem a million miles away but seems too big. I've spent a lot of the day looking at interior pictures and seeing how they fit onto my memories, nothing quite fits which probably means my memories are faulty. JS31 is probably the closest so far, I don't think it was a Twin Otter (I've flown on both types recently).
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The FA part is interesting - in my (possibly faulty) recollection there was an FA seated front left, but she didn't move out of her seat, she reached into the cockpit so the pilot(s) had first choice from the basket of biscuits, then it was passed around, she didn't come down the aisle with them.
Okay, that sounds like the Brazilia.

bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:29 pm

UX at Dulles had a number of small Jetstream models in use. I used to fly them occasionally. No FAs, no door to the cockpit, and you had to step over the wingbox to get to the forward seats. US Air had BC 1900s - the flying box. I flew on Dornier 228s as well. None of them had FAs.

I can't recall when they were discontinued. I do know that at at least one airport - Santa Fe - we did no actual security check to get on one, on a flight to Denver. I guess the assumption at the time was, who cares. I vaguely recall something similar going from Omaha to Kansas City on a USAir puddle jumper back when they had a bunch of subsidized flights out of KC to a bunch of small airports in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. No metal detector or anything. I had a flight out of Monterey CA once when the one metal detector was broken so they just made us make our beepers go off.

Pre 9/11, security was pretty reasonable. Nothing like when I was a kid and there were no metal detectors anywhere and you boarded planes like you would a train today. You have a ticket for the flight, that's all they cared about. No ID, no metal detector, no bag search. They didn't care.
Last time I flew on Kenmore Air (seaplane service to San Juan Island), several years ago, there was no security check, certainly not at the floating docks on the islands. Of course, hijacking a small De Havilland sea plane won't get one very far...
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
UX at Dulles had a number of small Jetstream models in use. I used to fly them occasionally. No FAs, no door to the cockpit, and you had to step over the wingbox to get to the forward seats. US Air had BC 1900s - the flying box. I flew on Dornier 228s as well. None of them had FAs.

I can't recall when they were discontinued. I do know that at at least one airport - Santa Fe - we did no actual security check to get on one, on a flight to Denver. I guess the assumption at the time was, who cares. I vaguely recall something similar going from Omaha to Kansas City on a USAir puddle jumper back when they had a bunch of subsidized flights out of KC to a bunch of small airports in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. No metal detector or anything. I had a flight out of Monterey CA once when the one metal detector was broken so they just made us make our beepers go off.

Pre 9/11, security was pretty reasonable. Nothing like when I was a kid and there were no metal detectors anywhere and you boarded planes like you would a train today. You have a ticket for the flight, that's all they cared about. No ID, no metal detector, no bag search. They didn't care.
Not sure how the arrangement was but you could book those US Air turboprop planes from the smaller cities around Kansas City on United tickets. Their pads where you deplaned were right outside of United gates on terminal A at MCI.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...da_Dash_81.php

https://prijet.com/img/aircraft/Dash-8-100-int.jpg
Have a few memories of flying on Dash-8s - way earlier I’m AC, but some memorable ones on UAX, too.

a couple of times I flew CVG-CLE, when that route still existed. Both times, there were less than 5 pax on the plane. in one instance, I was asked to sit in the back bench for weight.

then I remember doing YYZ-EWR on it too, and we were delayed due to MX. Finally, they announced that we would go, but there was a pressurization, issue, and so we had to fly below 10,000 feet. That was a long flight for that route.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Oh, I think I flew them too.
When did United [Express] get rid of those?
Not really sure; I was a pmCO flyer, pretty much exclusively. As I recall, the Saab-340's disappeared not too long after the UA-CO merger.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
No, I was on a regularly scheduled ~10-seater Honolulu-Molokai (Island Air?) in 2015 where I could reach the captain’s shoulder (and of course didn’t.) For UA, never saw anything without cabin door.
Maybe a Mokulele Cessna Caravan? I don’t recall Island Air running something that small (could be mistaken).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.