Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

With most of the country (and the world) in some degrees of lockdown, it does appear that there are people still flying UA (as evident by many posts here).

Curious who are these folks and what their line of work is so that they are exempt from the lockdown ... that's all
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
With most of the country (and the world) in some degrees of lockdown, it does appear that there are people still flying UA (as evident by many posts here).
Speak for yourself - it definitely feels like the volume of posts here has decreased over the past several weeks, particularly outside of COVID-19-related posts.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I bought 4 properties in Las Vegas in 2009 during the housing bust. Kept a condo at Las Vegas Country Club for a 2nd home and the other 3 are rentals. I have to go to LV in May to beat my tenants. Only kidding - I actually proactively gave them 30-40% rent cuts for April May. One is “The Official Elvis Impersonator of the City of Las Vegas” another is the sound engineer for the Coliseum. They have zero work.

It’ll be interesting to see how I will get there. UA on some days runs only a two stop option and a couple of 3 stops (eg Maui-Honolulu-Denver-LV )
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Speak for yourself - it definitely feels like the volume of posts here has decreased over the past several weeks, particularly outside of COVID-19-related posts.
Decreased, but that doesn't mean there are no posts involving present day travel
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If I could I would, but I'd be flying to Seattle, and where I'd be working is shut down until the end of April... also, getting out of Maine isn't exactly easy right now. Getting back is worse.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I will be back on flights as soon as it feels sensible to do so - 1) to re-ignite my passion; 2) to support the airline industry for the devastation they are going through.

Thank you to everyone fighting this battle, including airline crew and employees.
boeingair, tuolumne, big V and 4 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2020 at 11:38 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I would love to be flying right now, though as I’m considered an essential employee, I couldn’t imagine being responsible for spreading COVID to my co workers because I wanted to fly... I am certainly looking forward to the future when we return to some sense of normalcy so I can get back in the skies.
CO-PLAT and Zeeb like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:00 pm

I am not flying but will be on May 1 internationally. I am already looking at changing my tickets yet again. Will need to eventually return stateside
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I am not flying but will be on May 1 internationally. I am already looking at changing my tickets yet again. Will need to eventually return stateside
Not sure where you would be off to, but May 1 maybe a tad optimistic for international travel, especially if there are travel restrictions and/or border closure at the planned destination.

I would recommend re-evaluation closer to departure. Good luck.

I am hoping it would be sensible to travel by Memorial Day weekend - e.g. late May 2020, but okay to cancel if my intended travel would be detriment to myself and others.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not sure where you would be off to, but May 1 maybe a tad optimistic for international travel, especially if there are travel restrictions and/or border closure at the planned destination.

I would recommend re-evaluation closer to departure. Good luck.

I am hoping it would be sensible to travel by Memorial Day weekend - e.g. late May 2020, but okay to cancel if my intended travel would be detriment to myself and others.
We would be on one of the flights that UA is continuing to operate during April. We are hoping to return on the other side of the curve. The problem is transiting, which we are reasonably very concerned...
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Flew OGG_DEN on March 10. I need to get back to Hawaii at some point to run my enterprise there; but its all shut down anyway.... Im thinking my next flight will be mid Junish... but who knows. I am sitting on 3000 points for 2020. After 7 years as 1K, I may not make silver. C'est la vie.

edit: Just read the wiki. I guess Ill be 1K next year.

Last edited by denver19; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My last flight was third week of March.

I work at one of those "essential" companies. Originally had planned travel for end of March and April. That's now been moved to May. The later it gets moved, the more "essential" the trip becomes so it will be interesting to see what happens.

On the personal side, I have a medical procedure that I need to travel for that was scheduled for early April then got moved to late April. Before all this, my doctor told me it was "essential" to have it in early April, then they said it was less "essential" when they moved it. I imagine this works the same, the more it gets delayed, the more "essential" it becomes.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by eng3
My last flight was third week of March.

I work at one of those "essential" companies. Originally had planned travel for end of March and April. That's now been moved to May. The later it gets moved, the more "essential" the trip becomes so it will be interesting to see what happens.

On the personal side, I have a medical procedure that I need to travel for that was scheduled for early April then got moved to late April. Before all this, my doctor told me it was "essential" to have it in early April, then they said it was less "essential" when they moved it. I imagine this works the same, the more it gets delayed, the more "essential" it becomes.
Im in a similar boat and need to travel early May for a surgery that I’ve already put off once. Not exactly optional as my father ignored this and he passed away last year being stubborn.

Hopefully my business partner makes it back as I don’t want zero revenue while I’m away.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:03 pm

I have to fly tomorrow to LAX for a few days and the anxiety is already high. It was that or furlough. Sucks but billable hours.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: AS 75K
Have to get back to the mainland from Maui at some point by the end of April. I'm really not worried about the flight(s) with all the safety measures airlines are taking. Plus, with all my heightened awareness I bring things to wipe down things around me. Also, flights are so empty that it's probably safer than most other times I fly. How many times in the past have we all piled on a plane next to strangers with god knows what disease and sat inches from them without even thinking twice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.