Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely looking sparser now than say, a week ago.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FR24 put together a good presentation of the flights across the worlds in March v. April. Have a look here.

I've looked at several UA seatmaps at night as flights pass overhead and it's amazing to see 77Ws with 40 people or CR2 with five. Even stranger to see just three UA pax birds in the air during the late night hours when you'd normally see tons of redeye flights passing overhead.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:31 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FR24 put together a good presentation of the flights across the worlds in March v. April. Have a look here.
I'm not that familiar with FlightRadar. Are the blue planes cargo or government aircraft?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by st3
I'm not that familiar with FlightRadar. Are the blue planes cargo or government aircraft?
Blue are aircraft being tracked via satellite; more info: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/s...radar24-users/
st3 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Secondary screening as in pat downs? Or swabbing luggage interior?

Granted that TSA is stupid, but increasing touch points among persons in a pandemic seems crazy even for them.
Swabing, removing everything from screened luggage, rescanning everything and not just a secondary pat down but a complete second and at their demand In a private room with a second tsa in the room.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 10, 2020 at 10:36 pm Reason: TSA discussion best saved for Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
How reliable is it to take a flight the night before I need to be at my destination (in the morning)? I might need to fly in 2-3 weeks. I've been looking at flight status and notice some flights cancelled. Is UA cancelling flights that fall under a certain load threshold? I'm trying to determine if I should take an earlier flight that day or possibly an additional day earlier.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by eng3
How reliable is it to take a flight the night before I need to be at my destination (in the morning)? I might need to fly in 2-3 weeks. I've been looking at flight status and notice some flights cancelled. Is UA cancelling flights that fall under a certain load threshold? I'm trying to determine if I should take an earlier flight that day or possibly an additional day earlier.
I would definitely schedule a flight for earlier in the day you are traveling if you need to be their NLT than the next morning. Most schedule related cancellations are happening within 2-3 days of travel. You will get an email & notification on your phone if anything happens to your flight. It has happened to me several times & I had no problems rescheduling on my own or calling in for help rebooking.

If you get within 36 hours of your flight, you can be pretty confident that the schedule for the next day will fly as advertised. In that case, you can easily SDC your morning flight to a more convenient afternoon flight. Note that there are very few evening flights now.

Note: This all depends on your origin/destination. Hub to hub has more options and is more stable right now.
dorisrpas likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That's an impossible question to have an opinion. Even with more information on actual route doubt you can get a meaningful answer. Things are changing daily / weekly and what inferences one might have drawn a few weeks ago are meaningless today as well is today will be meaningless for a a few weeks out. UA is consolidating flights but actual selected flights depend on many factors besides the flight load. Getting sepecific aircraft to specific airports for future flights, same with crews, and then there may be a cargo or USPS contacts requirement or other factors we have no insight into. Plus there is the COVID-19 status that day at the various airports.

A day or two out and tracking recent results, then you might have a chance of making an informed guess. If you must be someplace, start with an earlier flight and hope something flies that day
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I would definitely schedule a flight for earlier in the day you are traveling if you need to be their NLT than the next morning. Most schedule related cancellations are happening within 2-3 days of travel. You will get an email & notification on your phone if anything happens to your flight. It has happened to me several times & I had no problems rescheduling on my own or calling in for help rebooking.

If you get within 36 hours of your flight, you can be pretty confident that the schedule for the next day will fly as advertised. In that case, you can easily SDC your morning flight to a more convenient afternoon flight. Note that there are very few evening flights now.

Note: This all depends on your origin/destination. Hub to hub has more options and is more stable right now.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A day or two out and tracking recent results, then you might have a chance of making an informed guess. If you must be someplace, start with an earlier flight and hope something flies that day
Thanks, that helps.
I'm flying PHL-ORD which has a morning and evening flight everyday. It seems to have flying every day for the past few days
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by random.parts
In AUS the usual exits where closed and they funnel you through a single door where someone ask you where you are coming from. I think National Guard, could be wrong.

I flew in after it was implemented. I had to explain to the guy that Washington DC (where I flew in from) is a completely separate thing from Washington state. Someone else had to come over and tell him they are different and let me pass through the exit.....

I think they take your info if coming from a travel restricted area, I was not.
Good grief, not knowing the difference between Washington state and Washington DC -- no doubt, if someone said they came from New Mexico, he would ask to see their passport!

Better approach is to say you are from the "District of Columbia," and hope that the TSA guy doesn't get that confused with the country Colombia...
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:46 pm

Who is still flying?

Birds?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
...no doubt, if someone said they came from New Mexico, he would ask to see their passport!...
I've witnessed that happen more than one in the US. Even once at a military base. Makes you wonder about the education system.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Personally I would plan to fly the day before, check flight status frequently and be prepared to for changes. Just plan on things being like the bad old days. Nothing is consistently open and security can be just as slow. On Saturday completed a simple RT that the outbound was changed the day before from an evening nonstop to an afternoon one stop and the return had @ 6 customers. And the Choo choo still stops at EWR.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by st3
Most of the stories I have found are people that contracted it overseas (or now domestically) and then brought it back.
Here in Vietnam we have had 2 instances of Vietnamese citizens contracting it abroad. 1 in Italy, and the other in South Korea, these 2 returning individuals managed to infect around 10 people each on their flights back - most of these infected were foreigners. They (the 2 Vietnamese ladies) then went on to infect multiple locals closely connected to them.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Usually the sequence of events is (i) they cancel the flight, automatically rebook something else, and leave a schedule change notice on the reservation; (ii) if the computer got confused and failed to rebook, it will leave the reservation in limbo (possibly showing only PHX-EWR) until you call them or; (iii) they call you any time before T-24h to ask what you want to do.

If the EWR-MAN flight is not officially cancelled yet, nothing for you to do but wait.
The routing has changed 4 times since I made my original post and as of last night, the EWR-MAN leg has disappeared altogether (as per ii above). I suspect that the next alteration (maybe tonight/tomorrow) will show a routing via Germany.
Plenty of time to go !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.