Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Thanks st530. All Now I don' have to post my pics

One thing I have noticed at some of the larger airports (IAD & BWI) is that they are closing down their economy lots & only leaving the parking garages near the terminal open. They are charging the cheaper economy lot prices for the normally expensive parking garage. It is only a matter of time before IAH figures this out & consolidates their parking operations. Right now they are keeping their shuttle bus drivers employed, which is a good thing.
These city operated airports that depend on the parking revenue to pay for operations and bonds going be in a world of hurt. I know MCI gets 50% of their revenue from parking.

Originally Posted by threeoh
My neighbors flew just a few days before our state got a stay-at-home order to go isolate with their daughter in the city she lives in to provide childcare to grandchild while daughter works from home, since the schools are closed.

Someone on another thread mentioned driving their daughter to a new job (in health care), then deciding to leave the car with her for a safer commute and flew home.

I imagine a fair number of people travelling for truly essential purposes, and a fair number violating the stay-at-home orders since there is essentially 0 enforcement unlike Europe.
Tried to fly home Saturday but nothing ended up going all the way from SFO to MCI. Booked a SFO-DEN-MAF?-IAH-MCI. One of the texas segments canceled so just rented a car in DEN and drove home.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2020 at 4:50 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st3
Exactly. I haven't seen any hard data so I wonder how many of the "travel related" cases were from transmission on an airplane? Most of the stories I have found are people that contracted it overseas (or now domestically) and then brought it back. Once that person steps off the plane they can bring it into an area that might have no/few cases.
This.

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I have said this elsewhere, but I will repeat it. I believe that being in an airport right now and flying on a plane is as "safe" a place to be as your local supermarket. You really have to have traveled in this time to understand what I am talking about.
The concern isn't so much being in the plane, see above.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by malgudi
This.

The concern isn't so much being in the plane, see above.
True, but that only applies IF one is carrying the virus. If one is NOT carrying the virus, then the act of flying from point A to point B is no different than driving to a supermarket, shopping & then driving home. Especially if the traveler basically shelters in place (at home or work) on either end of their travel. It is then a personal decision to expose oneself to a slightly increased chance of contracting the virus. And, while people still have the choice of free will to buy a ticket & travel on a plane, the FEAR of contracting the virus while flying is a real thing that is definitely keeping some people from traveling.

Your counter argument might be that we should assume that everyone has the virus and should act accordingly. Fortunately that is not the case & we the public are free to make informed decisions. I will stop there, as any further discussion is straying into OMNI. There are a multitude of threads on FT that you can go to and debate the merits of flying now.

If FT posters want to know what is going on in UA planes or terminals during this crisis, I can share my experiences. If they want to debate the merits of my (or anyone's) decision to fly, then I really have nothing more to say.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Last flight for work was two weeks ago and my next is personal (EWR-DEN-RAP). I'm the only one (willing and able) to pick up two great grandchildren in WY. Dad's working in communications industry and mom looks to be either on bed rest or hospitalized. Sure I could say 'road trip!' and do a 28 hour drive and then return with two small children. Yah right.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I'd love to go someplace where beaches, restaurants, and bars are still open.

With the caveat that I have to be able to get back with in a few days.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
At least UA is keeping some of its lounges open. AA has shut everything,
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkerci

Any ideas?
Not happening any time soon.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

Any ideas?
It is your choice, but most of us have bigger issues to worry about and being sensitive to the people and events around us.

As a suggestion:

Care for beaches in Georgia? but restaurants and bars are closed unless it is for take out:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/us/ty...pen/index.html
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer
Of course it's within your "rights" to do it.
Actually in the vast majority of U.S. states right now, it is illegal to travel for non-essential purposes.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Actually in the vast majority of U.S. states right now, it is illegal to travel for non-essential purposes.
??? Does that mean authorities at the airport will question each passenger as to the reason for their travel, and possibly deny them their right to fly? I must fly this Thurs EWR to ORD, do I have to prove why my travel is essential??? Nothing was listed when I purchased the ticket.

My reason, may not be considered essential, but family related. I am flying there to accompany home a family member who has severe anxiety. So not sure if that would raise a red flag, as I’m essentially flying there and back same day.

Last edited by mauld; Apr 6, 2020 at 4:51 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
??? Does that mean authorities at the airport will question each passenger as to the reason for their travel, and possibly deny them their right to fly? I must fly this Thurs EWR to ORD, do I have to prove why my travel is essential??? Nothing was listed when I purchased the ticket.
There doesn't appear to be any enforcement at this point at airports, no. Some states have begun roadside checks at state borders but it appears limited / haphazard at this point. The state is relying on people to follow the rules without police enforcement.

Here's the Illinois Stay At Home order for the ORD half of your trip: https://www2.illinois.gov/IISNews/21...Home_Order.pdf

"All travel, including, but not limited to, travel by automobile, motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, train, plane, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined herein, is prohibited."

Most other states have similar orders but may vary in the details.

Just because you aren't likely to get arrested doesn't mean you are "within your rights" to do something in violation of a legal public health order.

I'm interested to hear more from others on this thread about what essential reasons are keeping them flying. Essential work? Returning home? Caring for others?
Miggles likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In this thread asking people to post about their reasons to travel, please avoid personally directed comments on those reasons or you are likely to run afoul of the FT rules. In particular, any form of flying-shamming is not allowed. Including stating the poster is making a poor choice.

If we want to hear why some continue to fly then criticizing is not a way to encourage such posts and the rules state "Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated." If you can not do this, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
There doesn't appear to be any enforcement at this point at airports, no. Some states have begun roadside checks at state borders but it appears limited / haphazard at this point. The state is relying on people to follow the rules without police enforcement.

Here's the Illinois Stay At Home order for the ORD half of your trip: https://www2.illinois.gov/IISNews/21...Home_Order.pdf

"All travel, including, but not limited to, travel by automobile, motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, train, plane, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined herein, is prohibited."

Most other states have similar orders but may vary in the details.

Just because you aren't likely to get arrested doesn't mean you are "within your rights" to do something in violation of a legal public health order.

I'm interested to hear more from others on this thread about what essential reasons are keeping them flying. Essential work? Returning home? Caring for others?
Read the entire order you referenced & see what is permitted. I have read the Governors orders for many states & they are similar and all very liberal in what is considered "permitted" as far as activities and travel. Almost anything can be tied to something essential for travel purposes. Even IF they were checking peoples reason for travel in the ORD airport, the OP is traveling to "take care of others" which is a permitted activity under the Illinois order.

There is no doubt that the orders have been created to prevent large groups of people to congregate & spread the virus en masse. This has obviously had negative impacts to the types of businesses you would expect (restaurants, sporting events, the hospitality industry as a whole, etc). But things that can be done following social distancing guidelines (i.e., driving by yourself or with a family member in a car) are generally allowed. Section 14a permits travel for essential activities, which as I said can be tied to almost anything, and traveling on an airplane is still allowed as a mode of this essential travel.

Just pointing out that these are not martial law orders.
onthesam and tj.d like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any ideas?
My family has short term rental properties in Florida (mostly St. Augustine Beach), and my mom tells me that tenants in the ocean front houses are allowed to use the beach directly in front of them (some strange state or local law), but restaurants and bars are closed.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 7, 2020 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS
As UA cancelled all DEN-YYC flights, I’ll be doing a road trip. 4 days of driving for 5 days of work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.