Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Given the TSA reports showing less than 10% usual passenger volumes being screened, there must be a lot of empty planes up there...

I haven't been able to understand this either. Every once in a while in the last week or so I check FlighAware or FlightRadar24 and there are tons of planes flying. Maybe the maps aren't quite as dense as usual but the volume of planes in the air certainly doesn't seem to match the dire headlines about 90% of (passenger) flights being grounded.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
I haven't been able to understand this either. Every once in a while in the last week or so I check FlighAware or FlightRadar24 and there are tons of planes flying. Maybe the maps aren't quite as dense as usual but the volume of planes in the air certainly doesn't seem to match the dire headlines about 90% of (passenger) flights being grounded.
But do you know what that map used to look like? I have no idea.

I do know UA's schedule is far far below normal capacity. I roughly estimate hub-hub flights are in the 10-20% range.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a friend who due to work is flying weekly IAH > LBB. The route has gone to 1 or 2x daily (from ~5) and he says the flights have had anywhere from 4 to 10 people on them.

Assuming this was always served by an ERJ145 prior (it wasn't - sometimes mainline, sometims 175) and taking his highest estimate, that's 10 folks twice daily so flying 20 people total for what used to be 250 seats. Assuming the flights were 80% full before, that is a 90% reduction in passengers served.

Obviously very anecdotal but I think a 90% reduction in passengers (not passenger flights) could be accurate.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
This was a screen shot I took a few min ago at noon US EST.

Surprised to see that many flights and wonder about loads of the passenger flights:

Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
But do you know what that map used to look like? I have no idea.
Yes, roughly. I never studied it THAT closely but on a quick glance at the whole country looks *about* the same, maybe a little less congested now but not by much.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
Yes, roughly. I never studied it THAT closely but on a quick glance at the whole country looks *about* the same, maybe a little less congested now but not by much.
Agreed. Collectively, US airlines have stated they have reduced US scheduled flights approximately 60%. Hard to reconcile that.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Will be grounded until I can go to a foreign country and not have to spend 2 weeks in quarantine upon arrival.
alggag likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
r
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Agreed. Collectively, US airlines have stated they have reduced US scheduled flights approximately 60%. Hard to reconcile that.
Those maps posted are just graphic representations of a moment in time with oversized icons. Unless someone is willing to do more research into actual filed flight plans per day vs. the same time last year, I am willing to accept the US airlines word on the % of flights reduced. One other thing to consider is that the "flying day" has generally been compressed. There are not as many options for the flights leaving @ 5:30 a.m or 8-9 p.m. So a snapshot @ noon may look like a full sky, but take one @ 8 am & 6 pm to see what it looks like

The only anecdotal evidence I need to support the airlines #'s are the MANY unused planes I see parked on taxiways & unused gates @ the airport, as well as the very reduced options when I book a flight from A to B. There are clearly less planes in the sky.
SteveHK and onthesam like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
One other thing to consider is that the "flying day" has generally been compressed. There are not as many options for the flights leaving @ 5:30 a.m or 8-9 p.m. So a snapshot @ noon may look like a full sky, but take one @ 8 am & 6 pm to see what it looks like.
That's a good point. I generally only look during the day as a quick diversion from some work misery or other at my desk.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:51 pm

Got back from LAX Tuesday night so just ended day 1 of quarantine (mandatory 14 day quarantine in Texas). Avg incubation period to show symptoms is 5 days and up to 14. High anxiety while counting down days. Was extra careful with masks and cleanliness with constant hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.. hopefully it pays off.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Obviously very anecdotal but I think a 90% reduction in passengers (not passenger flights) could be accurate.
closer to 95% lately.

https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Do employees count in TSA numbers? Flights I have been has been more non-Rev then travelers.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by bhunt
Do employees count in TSA numbers? Flights I have been has been more non-Rev then travelers.

yes. at the bottom of the link it states it includes Known Crewmember numbers, which would be pilots and flight attendants.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Greetings: I need a plan B from SFO-IAD non stop ... UA 653 seem to fit the bill for this weekend.

How can I check to see which day is best ( seat spacing) to plan and book the fly ? It seem only saver or F seat available and I may have to take saver seat.

TIA,
-cc-
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are still lots of flights in the air because airlines are supposed to maintain at least minimum service as part of CARES Act. There are also tons of other flights still operating - e.g. freight, charter, private, ferry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.