Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by artvandalay
No one flying now can allege they feel "perfectly safe." UA is doing everything they can to insure flying is as "safe" as possible.
I do feel safe though. I'll hit 75K on UA next WED since MAR and I am feeling safer and safer with every flight. Not one of the FAs that I see regularly has gotten this thing so I can only assume that the prevention protocols are working well. Also, the restaurants that I frequent on my business trips have had no reportable cases.
I do have to get tested regularly as a condition of my contracts and have been quarantined twice for false positive PCR tests, so I now have no confidence in the tests.
SFO 1K, SPN Lifer, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Not at all? You feel perfectly safe?
Don't think I ever feel "perfectly safe"! A lot can go wrong in life but I accept the risk..

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I do feel safe though. I'll hit 75K on UA next WED since MAR and I am feeling safer and safer with every flight. Not one of the FAs that I see regularly has gotten this thing so I can only assume that the prevention protocols are working well.
My thoughts as well.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:15 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I do feel safe though. I'll hit 75K on UA next WED since MAR and I am feeling safer and safer with every flight. Not one of the FAs that I see regularly has gotten this thing so I can only assume that the prevention protocols are working well. Also, the restaurants that I frequent on my business trips have had no reportable cases.
I do have to get tested regularly as a condition of my contracts and have been quarantined twice for false positive PCR tests, so I now have no confidence in the tests.
False positives because you tested negative for Ab afterwards?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekwang
I am flying mostly for dental/medical appointments in the SF Bay Area. Won’t really travel in any meaningful way until ‘21 when I fly to re-qualify for 1K.
Long way to go for a dental appt
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by wunderpit
False positives because you tested negative for Ab afterwards?
In both cases I was asymptomatic at the time of the test, awaiting the results before I could start my job. Once I got the results, they put me into a quarantine facility (i.e. a comfortable hotel with staff monitoring me so I didn't leave the room) and collected my vitals for several days. In one case, after 4 days asymptomatic, they retested me with the PCR (nasal swab) test and it came up negative, so I was able start the job. On another contract, they didn't retest until 7 days in quarantine with the same result. I've asked various doctors what could be going on and they said that maybe I had been exposed multiple times and had residual viral particles in my bloodstream which the PCR test, being very sensitive, would yield a positive response to. However, the net takeaway from all of this, IMO, is that asymptomatic testing is nearly useless.
They did try a viral culture test on me too and that failed as well, showing I was, in fact, not infected.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 7, 2020 at 7:10 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:48 am

Flew for the first time during COVID recently, to see family outdoors before it gets cold. I had the option of UA, DL, and WN non-stops.

I went with WN because (1) guaranteed empty middles and (2) open seating: I boarded late and picked a seat as far from others as possible, and where those near me looked like they had high mask compliance.

I did consider UA First with a 2-1 configuration, I would have snagged a seat on the 1 side. Probably would have been happy with that but it was $500 more expensive and didn't want to book into Y and risk a full flight with no choice of seatmate.

Also WN had two flights daily on my route and UA was 4x per week, so WN had more options if the flight was cancelled.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Month after month after month of being grounded had me literally and mentally down, so I decided that Sept. 11 was a better day than most to get back on a plane. I only made that decision two days before, which allowed me to book flights on this out-and-back itinerary with a high degree of confidence that I'd have personal space, either via upgrades clearing or by virtue of Y being mostly empty. My upgrades not only cleared but did so early enough to give me a choice of seats in the A side of an E170 and then a CR550. (Pandemic-travel FYI: 4A on the CR550 is fantastic for social distancing, with a closet across the aisle and a good eight feet separating you from the first row of E+.) The flights all seemed fine, with everybody around me wearing masks except to drink or eat and, also important, not talking. And all the airports involved were empty as well. I would fly again without feeling too uneasy; as with commercial aviation in general, the bigger risk would probably involve whatever I did before and after the flight.
RNE and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This past weekend I took a quick weekend trip to Den. My first trip since COVID. All 4 of my flights were pretty full, flight crews were friendly and there were no passengers objecting to or debating the mask requirement. The one thing I noticed was that the boarding process seemed to change between my outbound and return trips. Outbound(JAX-IAD-DEN) on Friday the flights boarded with the usual group of pre-boarders then by rows back to front with no specific mentioning of 1st class passengers. Yesterday on the return(DEN-IAD-JAX) 1st class passengers were called after the pre-board group then rows.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I am on an AA flight right now, PHL-PHX’ then onto LAX, then back to PHL. Also did PHL-LAX-PHL over the Fourth of July on AA, primarily because my flight $ credits on AA is larger in amount than the one on UA, due to my having to cancel a bunch of booked flights in March and April.

I will be back on UA in a few weeks - can’t wait!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sapguy

I will be back on UA in a few weeks - can’t wait!
Don't get too excited, unless you are doing premium transcon, UA F on all other flights is pretty weak with service limited to drinks and snack boxes, though to be fair still much better than DL's water and snacks without even providing ice.
RNE and chemengin like this.

Last edited by fly747first; Sep 14, 2020 at 7:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been on some full/pretty full flights with UA and already as a 1K in/out of SFO upgrades are not guaranteed; been several down on the list at time of departure. Having trouble getting family PP upgrades even on relatively short domestic hops booked weeks out.

If you're a gold getting upgrades right now, enjoy it while it lasts!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:23 pm

This will be the first time in 20 years that I have not flown on United and will be the first time in over 25 years that I have not flown on any airline. In the past 20 years, I have flown exclusively on United (as a 1K), with the occasional flight on a Star Alliance partner, and pretty much only international flights. For the last several years, the only time I am on a domestic flight is when I fly from my home airport to a hub to catch my international flight. Since my usual destinations are generally not allowing entry to Americans, with few exceptions, and that I don’t want to have to waste time in quarantine, I have no idea when I’ll be getting on a plane again. It’s really depressing to not be able to fly to my usual international destinations, but eagerly awaiting when their borders open again.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Taking my first flight since February HNL-SFO-LAS on Oct 22. LAS-SFO Nov 1. SFO-HNL Nov 3.

When you live on a 40x18 mile island - sometimes you need to get away. My timing is simply I can test to avoid quarantine upon arrival back to Hawaii which I could not stay at home 14 days previously. Will ramp up monthly trips while I can test out of quarantine. I give the program 50/50 to make it to the end of the year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Taking our first flight in December to SAT (yeah I know, the drive from Houston is 3 hrs, but I’d rather be flying). Last trip was a ski trip to Colorado in early March before everything shut down. So happy we got to do that trip, since it was my daughter’s first time skiing. I remember walking through DEN airport seeing a couple of people with masks, but that was far from the norm at the time. Both United Clubs were open...
Have another one planned in March for our annual ski trip, this time to SLC. I do not travel for work.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
I finally broke down. We're headed to CZM this week for our 20th anniversary (with kids in tow this time).

We went to SLC (from Reno) for a single overnight about 2 months ago. Everyone was towing the line so we felt reasonably safe.

Flights out and in are pretty empty so we're hoping for the same.

This should have been behind us a long time ago. Will report back after the trip...
RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.