Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flying tomorrow on EWR-PWM because it is far cheaper than renting a car from 2 weeks out of NYC and driving up. Buying up to F in the E175 was worth it - think it was less than $70 a person.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
UA lost a DEN-BOS roundtrip, as I feel slightly better doing a DL connection with middle seats blocked than a nonstop in a packed-to-the-gills plane.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:03 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
UA lost a DEN-BOS roundtrip, as I feel slightly better doing a DL connection with middle seats blocked than a nonstop in a packed-to-the-gills plane.
I have an LAX>CVG coming up, which DL has a non-stop with all the empty middles. The debate for me is the fact that I have done zero business with Delta, yet thousands of dollars tied up in UA...
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm self-employed and have several extremely urgent staffing issues to address in CA, which simply cannot be done over Zoom. Sadly, though, I'm not allowed into the country, so I'm forced to reduce significantly my operations (that makes it sound way too grand!) in the USA until I'm permitted to enter the country. I would be willing to make the trip, in a Polaris seat, but that option simply isn't open to me.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wunderpit
I have an LAX>CVG coming up, which DL has a non-stop with all the empty middles. The debate for me is the fact that I have done zero business with Delta, yet thousands of dollars tied up in UA...
Unsure what you mean by thousands of dollars "tied up." If already spent, it's already spent. If you have thousands of dollars of credit with UA, I recommend using it for an F ticket - at least you'll have a bit more isolation. Of course, if it's 2x2 domestic F, there will be somebody next to you in your F row. (On DL, there won't be.)

If you're talking "loyalty," understand that perks on the flight itself are essentially gone. Any meals/drinks will be highly limited and presented to you in a Ziploc bag.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
just did a BOS-DEN roundtrip. Plane was ~50% full both ways; no one appeared to be middle-seat booked that they didn't want.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Imstevek
just did a BOS-DEN roundtrip. Plane was ~50% full both ways; no one appeared to be middle-seat booked that they didn't want.
That's good - but DL guarantees it.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
That's good - but DL guarantees it.
Their guarantee is a little loose, but I get it. I really wanted to highlight the "packed-to-the-gills" comment; no flight in my research window over the last 2 weeks BOS-DEN has been full. In fact, the actual in-seat data I saw first-hand showed middles were empty; even when shown full on the seat map. Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Imstevek
Their guarantee is a little loose, but I get it. I really wanted to highlight the "packed-to-the-gills" comment; no flight in my research window over the last 2 weeks BOS-DEN has been full. In fact, the actual in-seat data I saw first-hand showed middles were empty; even when shown full on the seat map. Cheers.
And TBH, if I was flying coach (I'm going in F on DL), I'd also consider B6 over UA right now. B6 flies nonstop DEN-BOS and is blocking middles.

Until UA and AA adopt this policy, or until a vaccine/cure, this is definitely going to factor into the limited travel I might have to book.
Boraxo and Imstevek like this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Some lawyers I work with (remotely) are flying to eastern Texas for a trial which is running next week. If the judge is sitting the jury and holding the trial, they sort of have to go, if they want to keep their jobs.
I almost had to do that a week or so ago. Looked like a trial was going to go in a rural parish in Louisiana. Fortunately, the judge decided to give us a continuance at the last minute. I wasn't looking forward to trying a case in a pandemic hot spot....
SPN Lifer and MojaveFlyer like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Just finished a same day RT to Boise today. Probably my 10th US trip during COVID. I'm numb to the routine.

1. Drive to SFO in almost zero traffic.
2. Get dropped off at an almost empty terminal
3. Skip GS reception, straight to empty TSA
4. Insert drivers license, drop mask...
5. Clear security and see closed Yankee Clipper restaurant
6. People mover to empty United Club.
7. Spend two min looking out large window
8. Grab brown bag of food on way out
9. Walk to gate T-15, obligatory pleasantries with GS agent
10. Zombie like posture in seat, touching nothing
11. Consider engaging neighbors on mask etiquette (pic)
12. Be entertained by Idahoan t-shirt creativity (pic)

I'm someone who has flown over 4 million flight miles and loved every one of them. Unfortunately, I just can't find much to love about travel these days.

SPN Lifer, Boraxo and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Going to a wedding in Columbus, Ohio next weekend. Fly DEN-CLE and will visit family overnight west of Cleveland Thursday before heading south for the wedding Saturday. We went back and forth about going before finally deciding to make the trip. Got seats in the last row of FC thinking at least there is a barrier between us and those behind us, and if the plane were full, fewer people in the immediate vicinity. Have friends that are UA pilot and FA and they have no problem flying (one will survive the furloughs one probably won't), thinking it is as safe as it can be all things considered. I really don't see the flights as the biggest reason for worry. We plan to keep our distance as much as possible at the wedding and reception (both outdoors) and get tested upon return.

Our last flight was ICN-DEN just before Thanksgiving. A trip in March trip was cancelled. We are typically 50-75,000 UA fliers so this has been strange times indeed.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:14 pm

Flew IAH-SFO today, left from the International terminal. It was a madhouse before security. Apparently everyone in Houston has decided that going to Cancun is a good idea?

The 787 was full in business, the back was half full. I can’t say I enjoyed any of this, its just not fun flying right now, and this was the end of a stressful 2 weeks.

I did carry on a 32inch tv though, and just tossed it in the overhead bin. That was somewhat unique.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Flew IAH-SFO today, left from the International terminal. It was a madhouse before security. Apparently everyone in Houston has decided that going to Cancun is a good idea?

The 787 was full in business, the back was half full. I can’t say I enjoyed any of this, its just not fun flying right now, and this was the end of a stressful 2 weeks.

I did carry on a 32inch tv though, and just tossed it in the overhead bin. That was somewhat unique.
Did it break?

David
MojaveFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.