Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can UA survive? Opinions on its future

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Post-Covid is going to a new world. Major corporate contracts are what will keep UA (AA & DL as well) in the air and the businesses with those contracts will be focused on the bottom line, not on how many meal choices there are in the J cabin.
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Now, we might see a very "different" UA (and AA, DL, etc.)....
I'm not too sure this "huge difference" that is envisaged will last all too long. Old habits will soon come back, no matter where the source (UA or passenger).
Meal choices will soon be a top priority again, and [current] hardships will be forgotten.

I do see one change going forward: everyone will try and milk this catastrophe to the fullest: anything negative will be quickly blamed on "the great pandemic of 2020", and a "Pandemic prevention and cleaning fee" will be added to many different things.

Capitalism will not be eradicated by this global pandemic!
"Spend and prosper" will be the norm again soon enough!

Added:
It will only take one or two lost customers to companies who made the effort to actually visit the customer instead of "Zoom/Team" meetings to bring back corporate J travel to that type of group.

Last edited by narvik; Apr 25, 2020 at 10:48 am Reason: added
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
No. Most business and leisure flyers buy tickets from A to B with 2 main priorities: most direct and least expensive. For folk outside of FT (majority of flying public), status is meaningless. Even those in the corporate world, their travels are restricted to the company travel policy, and most corporate travels are not purchased in bulk.

In other words, most flyers are NOT loyal, and I would argue loyalty has been dead for decades for everyone outside of FT and similar platform.

You start the post with "UAL is finished", and then follow with a bunch of conjectures without any concrete evidence why UA is finished.

Truth, brother!

Loyalty to a business these days is transactional. If UA gets me the best combination of price, comfort and minimum transit time/hassle to my destination, they get my business. I believe that most flyers are in this "transactional loyalty" bucket, and that UA was doing just fine with this sort of flyer and will in the future. Everyone who raves about better soft product and service on other carriers must think that those things are important but, to those of us who travel for our livelihoods, they matter far less than reliably getting to your destination in a timely fashion.

UA is not finished.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
No. Most business and leisure flyers buy tickets from A to B with 2 main priorities: most direct and least expensive. For folk outside of FT (majority of flying public), status is meaningless. Even those in the corporate world, their travels are restricted to the company travel policy, and most corporate travels are not purchased in bulk.

In other words, most flyers are NOT loyal, and I would argue loyalty has been dead for decades for everyone outside of FT and similar platform.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Truth, brother!

Loyalty to a business these days is transactional. If UA gets me the best combination of price, comfort and minimum transit time/hassle to my destination, they get my business. I believe that most flyers are in this "transactional loyalty" bucket, and that UA was doing just fine with this sort of flyer and will in the future. Everyone who raves about better soft product and service on other carriers must think that those things are important but, to those of us who travel for our livelihoods, they matter far less than reliably getting to your destination in a timely fashion.
I agree with both of the above. I wouldn't quite say status is meaningless, but it is not one of the main things I consider when looking to fly. I look most for schedule convenience (and will pay a significant premium for a nonstop vs. a connection - after a day of meetings, I wanna get home ASAP!) - which includes reliability - and price in some sort of sliding scale. All else being equal I will avoid AA, but I think WN, DL and now finally again UA all offer a solid product and I don't have particular loyalty to - or complaints about - any of those three.

If I happen to rack up enough points to get some sort of status or be able to redeem a "free" flight or upgrade once in a while, great, but that does not drive my choice of airline. At the moment I have more Rapid Rewards points than I can use on WN because of its nonstop schedule (and reliability) out of TPA. Plus they treat me great as an A-Lister (as they do most everyone). But I also think both DL and UA offer a good product at a good price these days (speaking pre-Covidly).

I should add in the interest of disclosure that my company is pretty liberal in letting me choose flights and will tolerate paying a somewhat higher fare for my scheduling convenience or for a refundable fare, which happens fairly frequently (or at least did until March), and that I am fortunate enough to be able to pay for domestic first / int'l business at least most of the time I choose to travel for pleasure.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:59 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I do agree it is due to tax issues but the best use would have been to give it to the owners as a dividend.
If they had not bought back shares and had some money in the bank, the unions (like at SW) would have told them to go pound sand instead of giving them any concessions
Originally Posted by fly18725
Share repurchase are almost universally used by publicly traded companies due to systematic issues with our tax code and economic system.
Vilifying United, and other airlines, for returning capital to shareholders like every other company is kind of a cheap shot, particularly when United funded its buybacks with cash flow, not cheap debt.
Not pursuing buybacks would not have created the customer utopia many desire. Find a better boogeyman to blame.
Dividends should not be taxed at all; then a lot of the companies can be truly judged by their cash flow and stability of their business models
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
I do agree it is due to tax issues but the best use would have been to give it to the owners as a dividend.
The only functional difference between a dividend and a share repurchase is that share repurchases allow the investor to decide when to take the cash.

Originally Posted by ffI
If they had not bought back shares and had some money in the bank, the unions (like at SW) would have told them to go pound sand instead of giving them any concessions
That's a pretty solid argument in favor of repurchases, then.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:14 pm

Kirby has been pretty open about UA's weakness....it didn't have the domestic scale of AA and DL in the last cycle (or the 2000s for that matter)

How that plays now that they've all effectively scaled to near zero is another question. Kirby's employee comment recently was they want to be in a position to spool up domestic more quickly than the others.

On the negative side for UA domestic travel will be a greater mix for the big 3 than it was going into this for at least the rest of this year.

Int'l travel restrictions may come off more slowly than the rebound of inherent travel demand so to the extent there is inertia and preference among domestic fliers for AA/DL it would be at a disadvantage

On the plus side the domestic scale advantage is diminished for DL/AA in a prolonged reduced demand environment - having an extra 100-200 frames doesn't offer a share advantage when there's no demand at that level - so if UA figures out how to place them in the right markets with the right value proposition / cost structure / liquidity (a big ask) can take some share.

It's early to take the over on that one and a lot of payments on intl birds to deal with that DL/AA don't.

UA 545 regional frames (about 200 2 cabin), 580 mainline narrowbody
AA 604 regional (about 450 2 cabin), 750 mainline narrowbody
DL 429 regional (429 2 cabin), 700 mainline narrowbody
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only functional difference between a dividend and a share repurchase is that share repurchases allow the investor to decide when to take the cash.

That's a pretty solid argument in favor of repurchases, then.
I have always heard that people who lived through the great depression were always very careful with their money afterwards. It will be interesting when we get through this what corporations do with their profits.
PrivatePilot likes this.

Last edited by bearkatt; Apr 25, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by bearkatt
I have always heard that people who lived through the great depression were always very careful with their money afterwards. It will be interesting when we get through this what corporations do with their profits.
Everyone will be paying down debt for the foreseeable future. I don’t expect United will return cash to shareholders for at least 5 years.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I had a great economics professor who said simply, a dividend is a marriage, a share repurchase is a one night stand. A share repurchase might be more fun, but the dividend requires a lot more discipline.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
I had a great economics professor who said simply, a dividend is a marriage, a share repurchase is a one night stand. A share repurchase might be more fun, but the dividend requires a lot more discipline.
I don't see it that way. The discipline he's talking about comes from the expectation that investors have about continued dividends -- once you've given out a dividend a couple of times, you're expected to continue to grow the dividend in subsequent quarters / years. But the same expectation could be priced into share repurchases. If you announce regular share buybacks, purchasers are going to take that into account -- and if you suspend buybacks, it'll create as much blowback as suspending dividends.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
UA is not finished.
I got a feeling this thread will be finished well before UA!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't see it that way. The discipline he's talking about comes from the expectation that investors have about continued dividends -- once you've given out a dividend a couple of times, you're expected to continue to grow the dividend in subsequent quarters / years. But the same expectation could be priced into share repurchases. If you announce regular share buybacks, purchasers are going to take that into account -- and if you suspend buybacks, it'll create as much blowback as suspending dividends.
Most institutional investors disagree, to varying extents, with your opinion, which is a reason why buybacks are more prevalent then dividends.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:43 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Capitalism, by it’s very definition, is about rapidly adapting to market needs, UAL will do just that.

Folks who say the days of global travel are behind us need to look at the entire history of air travel. The world has gone through global wars, pandemics and depressions, all of which have had a temporary impact on air travel but the long term trend is always up. Human nature doesn’t change, as travel becomes more affordable, more people will travel more.

The substantial, well managed carriers will survive and after a while prosper again. We should all be thankful they will.

I, for one, can’t wait to get back in the air! I’m already sick of spending 10 to 12 hours a day on conference calls. Anyone who thinks Zoom Meetings are anywhere near the equivalent to face to face contact are kidding themselves. Is having phone sex a good substitute for having real sex? Hint, the answer is no. Long live UAL, and other carriers as competition is always good.
tcdtcd likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2020 at 10:47 am Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
When it comes to investing in airlines, I'll take Warren Buffett's advice on how to become a millionaire:
"There's really nothing to it. Start as a billionaire and then buy an airline.'"
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Capitalism, by it’s very definition, is about rapidly adapting to market needs, UAL will do just that.
Bailouts and free govt subsidies isn’t capitalism.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2020 at 10:48 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.