Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
I guess that's what can happen when you take it in the shorts.

David

p.s. Or, a modified song title comes to mind: No woman, no fly.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:02 am

yawn & the least impressive hill to die on at that
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Though I've also never taken the mask all the way off -- I usually let it hang by one ear whilst I'm either taking a drink or shoveling food into my noise hole.
Similar technique here. Noise cancelling headphones are also great in keeping it affixed to that one ear without slipping off.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just a reminder, as has bee stated multiple times, the federal requirements for a multi-ply mask / effectiveness are not a UA subject.

UA's implementation of the federal rules and UA's enforcement of UA mask policy are UA forum subjects

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I didn't see any suspected troublemakers and the flight went fine and there were no enforcement issues.
He says several other pax walked off the flight in support. ​​ If true, I wonder how their rebooking experience went.
​​​​
Can you really just walk off a flight before door closing and get easily re-accomodated?

Last edited by chollie; Dec 17, 2021 at 2:50 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chollie
He says several other pax walked off the flight in support. ​​ If true, I wonder how their rebooking experience went.
​​​​
Can you really just walk off a flight before door closing and get easily re-accomodated?
I think it depends a lot on both the agent and the reason for walking off.

The one time I almost deplaned --- after having been groped and felt up by a passenger who was either drugged or intoxicated) at that moment I really didn't care what the reaccom process looked like, I didn't feel safe on that flight in those circumstances and I wasn't going to let some formalities get in the way of getting myself out of that situation (fortunately, 2nd FA and Capt both made the call that the other dude wasn't fit to fly and he was removed instead...first FA wasn't so bright)

I've had a few more flights where MX delays/isuess have either resulted in an agent coming on board to grab me and push me to another gate or where I've gotten off during a delay where it was clear I'd misconnect to seek out protection in the terminal.

For the idiot of the hour... you know the rules, if you don't like the rules DON'T FLY. No one is forcing you to. Especially from FL to DC. You can drive, walk, or bicycle all mask free if you don't like the mask concept.
FLYMSY, Xyzzy, chavala and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:38 am

UA Flight attendants in lay flat cabins are barely enforcing the mask requirements recently…I’ve flown 8-10 segments in lay flats the past month and on every single one people are in the aisles without masks on. On the overnight flights forget it, more people walk through the aisles with them off then on. On my flight to CDG a few days ago the FA came to my seat and asked if I wanted something else to drink, I quickly put the mask up, but she told me not to bother. [comment removed by moderator as provoking a debate on masks.]

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 18, 2021 at 6:02 pm
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:44 am

In the context of the current discussion the effectiveness of masks is irrelevant. This is a TSA rule that United (and every other airline touching the US) is required to enforce as a minimum standard.

Actually, the US approach has been more tame than others -- LH, for example, gave me a new N95 mask prior to boarding because my United-branded, United-issued mask that I had worn on a United flight from my origin to the international gateway didn't meet their (regulator's?) higher standards.
22H and benfro6 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
I can't tell, did they offer him a compliant mask? If so he's an idiot trying to look like a hero. If not that's on UA.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by KeithRedford
I can't tell, did they offer him a compliant mask? If so he's an idiot trying to look like a hero. If not that's on UA.
Ovbiously I wasn't on that flight but EVERY flight -- mainline and express -- since masking has been a thing the FAs have had disposable masks available in the galley and the gate agent has a box at the gate available for the asking or if the relevent person notices a mask issue ("sir, I need you to wear this please") Heck, I even have an unopened 10-pack in my laptop bag because I'm afraid of getting caught out somewhere -- either plane, train, or client location with either no mask or an unserviceable mask I'd be willing to give him, if he had wanted one.

Based on comments it's clear he didn't want to comply and rather was choosing a mole hill to die on. .

FWIW, FAs, GAs and everyone else involved presumably want to remove a pax as a last resort -- lots of paperwork and perhaps explaining to do that doesn't come up if they are able to make the problem go away informally. ("here's a mask. wear it") Off topic, but last week I saw an NJTransit crew on the way to Newark warn someone over the PA 4 times, then in person twice, and then kicked him off the train at EWR when he refused ... Nowhere have I seen a "0 strikes you're out" approach.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
He claims he’s flown with it on multiple UA flights without a problem.

Certainly not his original idea. Many many months ago there was a clip going around of a woman in a shop reaching under her dress, pulling out her thong and finishing her shopping. I think she was in a 7-11 sort of shop, only getting a couple items and just couldn’t be arsed to go get a mask.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
And this is why we also need a industry-wide ban list. If you're banned on UA, also on DL, Spirit, etc.

Originally Posted by chollie
​​​​
I mean, I've never tried. Don't even want to walk off a delayed flight at the gate and take my chances when it appears I'll misconnect, as I'm not sure what will be better. Last time, 1+ hour delay out of SFO, and FAs announced anyone who wanted to get off to rebook was welcome to, but if they chose to do it, they wouldn't be allowed back on. There were a couple that got off, I think, but most stayed on. Won that lottery...landed at ORD about 10 minutes prior to my scheduled connection, but it was delayed about 40 minutes which gave me enough time to run from C to F to make it.

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
UA Flight attendants in lay flat cabins are barely enforcing the mask requirements recently…I’ve flown 8-10 segments in lay flats the past month and on every single one people are in the aisles without masks on. On the overnight flights forget it, more people walk through the aisles with them off then on. On my flight to CDG a few days ago the FA came to my seat and asked if I wanted something else to drink, I quickly put the mask up, but she told me not to bother. Luckily it seems like common sense is starting to prevail here.
I sincerely hope not, and hopefully these instances are being reported.

This is nothing near common sense. Ask Gary Kelly his view on masking on the airplane, and look where that kind of attitude got him.

In the context of the current discussion the effectiveness of masks is irrelevant. This is a TSA rule that United (and every other airline touching the US) is required to enforce as a minimum standard.

Actually, the US approach has been more tame than others -- LH, for example, gave me a new N95 mask prior to boarding because my United-branded, United-issued mask that I had worn on a United flight from my origin to the international gateway didn't meet their (regulator's?) higher standards.
Yup - LH and several other EU-based airlines require surgical masks.

Ovbiously I wasn't on that flight but EVERY flight -- mainline and express -- since masking has been a thing the FAs have had disposable masks available in the galley and the gate agent has a box at the gate available for the asking or if the relevent person notices a mask issue ("sir, I need you to wear this please") Heck, I even have an unopened 10-pack in my laptop bag because I'm afraid of getting caught out somewhere -- either plane, train, or client location with either no mask or an unserviceable mask I'd be willing to give him, if he had wanted one.
Yes, I've seen them as well. Though interstingly enough, AC hands a kit out on the plane that includes a mask. However, it wasn't handed out, at least on my flight, until after take off. Opening the kit, I wondered why the heck they were giving that out like 10-20 minutes after take off - isn't that way too late? You're not even allowed to be in the airport without a mask.
lincolnjkc, AeRoSpaceman and 22H like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I can't tell, did they offer him a compliant mask?
since masking has been a thing the FAs have had disposable masks available in the galley and the gate agent has a box at the gate available for the asking
Would have been interesting to see what UAs response would have been if he choose to put on the UA provided mask, and then put his original "mask" over that.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Would have been interesting to see what UAs response would have been if he choose to put on the UA provided mask, and then put his original "mask" over that.
As long as they could see the real mask... I imagine it would be a yawn and "You do you" -- just like people who wear face shields in addition to masks or 4 layers of masks.

Some more prudish crew members may make a decency objection under the COC but that's more to the visibility of the undergarment than its use as a mask (Rule 21(H)(5) "UA shall have the right to refuse transport on a permanent or temporary basis or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons: (H) Safety – Whenever refusal or removal of a Passenger may be necessary for the safety of such Passenger or other Passengers or members of the crew including, but not limited to: (5) Passengers who are barefoot, not properly clothed, or whose clothing is lewd, obscene or offensive") [Rule 21(H)(20) is is the mask specific COC Rule "Passengers who refuse to wear a mask or face covering while at the airport and/or onboard UA and United Express flights if UA or United Express believe, in their sole discretion, that a failure to wear such a mask or facial covering may pose a risk to the health or safety of others;"]
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Dang this thread is a hoot for late night reading. UA have an idea of what brand underwear is acceptable as a face rag?
seanp7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.