Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
Seem my SFO-EWR segment Friday is over 70% full. Do I go to the gate agent for re-route request or is that something I can do myself online 24 hours prior? (Of course, without paying a fee or change in fare)

Jiburi
From the UA website:

Every flight is different. For regularly scheduled flights that are expected to be fairly full, we’ll let you change your flight with no change fee or receive a travel credit for your trip. We'll do our best to contact you about 24 hours before your departure time so you can decide before you arrive at the airport.
You shouldn't have to pay a change fee either way, though it doesn't mention anything about fare differences.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Seem my SFO-EWR segment Friday is over 70% full. Do I go to the gate agent for re-route request or is that something I can do myself online 24 hours prior? (Of course, without paying a fee or change in fare)

Jiburi
You can attempt to do it online at anytime after you receive the "fairly full" text message; you can also try calling reservations if you don't want to wait and want to see if they'll give you an alternate routing without fare difference, etc.

Beware that any alternatives are likely to either already be or become just as full, if not fuller. When I've looked at my flights (purely out of curiosity) the next available option may be 24 hours out and very similar loads... obviously with a major trunk route like SFOEWR there are more options, but I wouldn't expect any of them to be less than 70% based on what I'm seeing generally.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:23 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Can we just get this going somehow? In my opinion this is one major key to getting us back in the air more often:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...-covid-19/amp/
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Seem my SFO-EWR segment Friday is over 70% full. Do I go to the gate agent for re-route request or is that something I can do myself online 24 hours prior? (Of course, without paying a fee or change in fare). Jiburi
During check in the app will offer you the ability to change your flight including date, departure airport and arrival airport. So you could change to LGA-DEN-SJC if you wanted to.

Every time I get the message for my flights to/from DC I'm offered IAD/DCA/BWI/RIC/MDT. New York will likely offer EWR/LGA/HPN.

-RM
Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
During check in the app will offer you the ability to change your flight including date, departure airport and arrival airport. So you could change to LGA-DEN-SJC if you wanted to.

Every time I get the message for my flights to/from DC I'm offered IAD/DCA/BWI/RIC/MDT. New York will likely offer EWR/LGA/HPN.

-RM
Instead of flying nonstop SFO-EWR, I was looking at SFO-IAH-EWR as an option though SFO-ORD-EWR might be possible. Both options seem not as full

Will await for check-in messages.

Jiburi
Old Sep 24, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of flying nonstop SFO-EWR, I was looking at SFO-IAH-EWR as an option though SFO-ORD-EWR might be possible. Both options seem not as full

Will await for check-in messages.

Jiburi
Honestly, if you want to be guaranteed empty flights, I’d suggest Delta. Hoping for UA to have an empty flight is probably just going to leave you disappoint come departure.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:47 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Per an article on TPG Link it looks like UA has tightened the mask requirement on board. I guess maybe they don't appreciate people taking 2 hours to eat their stroopwaffel.
While you can remove your face covering briefly to eat or drink, you must immediately put it back on afterward. And in the event of decompression, travelers will need to remove face coverings prior to donning an oxygen mask. Otherwise, travelers are expected to wear their face coverings for their entire flight and while in the airport.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
Per an article on TPG Link it looks like UA has tightened the mask requirement on board. I guess maybe they don't appreciate people taking 2 hours to eat their stroopwaffel.
I'm just glad they made the exception for the event of a decompression.
lincolnjkc and threeoh like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:53 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm just glad they made the exception for the event of a decompression.
You know someone had to bring that up in a staff meeting. "Should we put something in there about needing to take off your mask in case the oxygen masks deploy"?
Old Sep 25, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
At LAX right now, two redeyes to ORD and EWR adjacent gates. I'm on the ORD flight, which is a completely full 772 (with the 8-across F cabin). This is crowded for pre-Covid, so for anyone who's missing the old normal, this is the spot for you! I however, will be moving the rest of my travel for the year to AS, def willing to pay an extra $150 or so for the extra space and cheese plate!

It's probably also worth noting that this flight was showing about 70% full as recently as this morning. I don't think it's worth swapping flights

Edit: As a fun bonus, everyone in E+ has to gate check their bags!

Last edited by zymm; Sep 25, 2020 at 12:42 am
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
At LAX right now, two redeyes to ORD and EWR adjacent gates. I'm on the ORD flight, which is a completely full 772 (with the 8-across F cabin). This is crowded for pre-Covid, so for anyone who's missing the old normal, this is the spot for you! I however, will be moving the rest of my travel for the year to AS, def willing to pay an extra $150 or so for the extra space and cheese plate!

It's probably also worth noting that this flight was showing about 70% full as recently as this morning. I don't think it's worth swapping flights

Edit: As a fun bonus, everyone in E+ has to gate check their bags!
Seems that something was going on in LA and must have concluded yesterday. Flights to ORD,EWR,IAH very full yesterday compared to today, and to typical for the last few weeks.

Bizarre that they made E+ gate check; the 772 usually has enough space even fully loaded.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fumje
Seems that something was going on in LA and must have concluded yesterday. Flights to ORD,EWR,IAH very full yesterday compared to today, and to typical for the last few weeks.

Bizarre that they made E+ gate check; the 772 usually has enough space even fully loaded.
The additional weird thing is that I'm out of SFO and every single overnight routing I was offered went through LAX. Did they cut all the direct SFO-ORD redeyes?
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The additional weird thing is that I'm out of SFO and every single overnight routing I was offered went through LAX. Did they cut all the direct SFO-ORD redeyes?
I don't know what they're doing. For a while they were running LAX-ORD redeyes only on 739, then they cut them completely, now they're back on 772. It looks like there was a SFO-ORD redeye yesterday, although it also was pretty much full.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Haven't checked but wondering if UA blamed it all on the 'VID.

David
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Haven't checked but wondering if UA blamed it all on the 'VID.

David
Seems to be the prime reason for pretty much any negative decision. In fact, it’s pretty much the only reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.