Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm curious why. The vantage is several generations old and almost universally disliked. It's a very narrow seat with a small footwell. And the inflatable cushion B6 uses is weird and subject to deflation failure. I can't really sleep in that seat, which is basically a deal-killer for me, as I like to take redeyes t-con.
Easy, 1-1 vs 2-2. I agree the vantage seat isn't great and it certainly isn't my favorite J seat out there, but I'd still rather have a single seat with a door than have a neighbor to climb over.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'd immediately send back the B6 meal - it literally makes me recoil. If I was going on a long flight, I would plan appropriately and bring my own meal regardless of carrier - I don't eat airline food with very rare exceptions.
Just curious, what is it about the meal that you find unappealing?

It looks passably good to me. (But I also haven't eaten lunch today. )
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Just curious, what is it about the meal that you find unappealing?

It looks passably good to me. (But I also haven't eaten lunch today. )
It looks absolutely drenched in sauce - each one of them. Overboard like - even the vegetables. Like I said, I may be in the minority - I'm tolerant of some sauce but they look like - hey, would you like some chicken with your sauce. In the middle picture - it isn't just sauce - you've got some yellow stuff on the top - dark stuff on the bottom - drenching everything. It is overwhelming.

I do stand that if they were shown in a UA premium food thread they would get slammed.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd immediately send back the B6 meal - it literally makes me recoil. If I was going on a long flight, I would plan appropriately and bring my own meal regardless of carrier - I don't eat airline food with very rare exceptions.
Out of curiosity, how do you keep your own food at the desired/safe temperature (hot/cold) from home through the airport and onto the plane when you're ready to eat it? Also, do you supply your own dishware/cutlery etc.?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We are getting very off-topic and criticing another's food preferences / taste is not a forum topic either.
This forum is about UA. And this thread is about how UA is reacting to the COVID-19 situation.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It looks absolutely drenched in sauce - each one of them.
Well I'm the guy that posted the pic, and they weren't. The far right was chilled, and the sauce is basically a yoghurt with Middle Eastern spiced cauliflower. It was excellent. I ate it first.
The middle chicken is in a sweet potato mash (not a sauce), which if too overbearing could have been avoided. It was offset by brussel sprouts. It's a dish that heated well in the plane ovens and wasn't dry (due to the sweet potato surrounding the chicken). See below on the pasta.

I do stand that if they were shown in a UA premium food thread they would get slammed.
We disagree - and that's ok. It was fantastic - and to bring this back to UA, my OP indicated I got the dreaded dry / crunchy ravioli on UA, which was mediocre but I nibbled at it because it was a 6 hour flight and I was hungry. If you enjoy that more, UA has plenty of it and you're a happy UA flyer, but you said you rarely eat all so all of this is a moot point for you travels and there's no 'sending back' required. ^

And yes, the main point of my post was actually B6 blocking seats in F, even when my assigned seat went mechanical. UA did not, and will not - for $$$. But my photo caused the chaos. Apologies all.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Easy, 1-1 vs 2-2. I agree the vantage seat isn't great and it certainly isn't my favorite J seat out there, but I'd still rather have a single seat with a door than have a neighbor to climb over.
I agree, especially during this pandemic.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Out of curiosity, how do you keep your own food at the desired/safe temperature (hot/cold) from home through the airport and onto the plane when you're ready to eat it? Also, do you supply your own dishware/cutlery etc.?
The sandwich I buy at the airport has never needed dishware/cutlery - I unwrap it, and eat it.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks absolutely drenched in sauce - each one of them. Overboard like - even the vegetables. Like I said, I may be in the minority - I'm tolerant of some sauce but they look like - hey, would you like some chicken with your sauce. In the middle picture - it isn't just sauce - you've got some yellow stuff on the top - dark stuff on the bottom - drenching everything. It is overwhelming.

Thanks -- that is a new one for me, in terms of preferences. My partner's most common criticism of food is too little sauce.

You could be right that in 2019 those dishes would have been panned. I think one of the common points of criticism in the casserole dish change for UA was how liquid tends to accumulate in the heating:

If I'm honest, I don't think I truly disliked eating any of those, but I'd certainly now take any over what we are getting now.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We are getting very off-topic and criticing another's food preferences / taste is not a forum topic either.
This forum is about UA. And this thread is about how UA is reacting to the COVID-19 situation.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Once again, let's get back on topic.
And let's use one of the "Let's Eat " threads for discussion of UA options.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:06 am

While airborne transmission appears to be the primary COVID transmission method, UA and others are adding these long lasting sprays. These may also help for other issues including some flus
United Adds Antimicrobial Spray to Already Extensive Cabin-Cleaning Measures
EPA registered protectant bonds to surfaces and creates a long lasting repellent against microbes;
Airline plans to add antimicrobial protectant to entire mainline and express fleet on a weekly basis, adding extra level of protection that complements current daily electrostatic spraying regimen

CHICAGO, Sept. 16, 2020
-- United Airlines today announced that it is adding Zoono Microbe Shield, an EPA registered antimicrobial coating that forms a long-lasting bond with surfaces and inhibits the growth of microbes, to the airline's already rigorous safety and cleaning procedures. United is currently applying the coating each week on more than 30 aircraft to seats, tray tables, armrests, overhead bins, lavatories and crew stations and expects to add this latest measure to its entire mainline and express fleet before the end of the year.

The antimicrobial coating, created by Zoono Group Limited, a New Zealand Company and distributed in the USA by MicroSonic Solutions, will serve as an added layer of protection that complements the airline's existing, daily electrostatic spraying regimen before departing flights.

"This long-lasting, antimicrobial spray adds an extra level of protection on our aircraft to help better protect our employees and customers," said Toby Enqvist, United's Chief Customer Officer. "As part of our layered approach to safety, antimicrobials are an effective complement to our hospital-grade HEPA air filtration system, mandatory mask policy for customers and daily electrostatic spraying. We've overhauled our policies and procedures and continue to implement new, innovative solutions that deliver a safer onboard experience."

The Zoono Microbe Shield works by bonding to surfaces and creating a protective layer that resembles microscopic pins once dry which rupture cell walls and membranes when microbes come in contact with them. The chemical is classified by the EPA as Category IV, which is the lowest level of toxicity. During an aircraft's deep cleanings, United will use the NovaRover which is designed to apply a super fine mist of the antimicrobial that coats all surfaces in a 12-foot radius with a single spray. United will apply the antimicrobial to aircraft overnight every seven days using electrostatic sprayers to refresh and fortify the protective layer, while continuing to electrostatic spray disinfectant to the aircraft cabin before almost every departure.

For a video demonstration of the NovaRover click here.

"MicroSonic is proud to provide United with the most advanced application of antimicrobial protection for their aircraft," said Nick Federico, MicroSonic's President. "Our proprietary NovaRover system combined with Zoono Microbe Shield will deliver an additional effective layer of microbial protection, reassuring customers and crew that the environment inside United aircraft is more safe and clean."

United is currently applying Zoono Microbe Shield on aircraft at Chicago O'Hare International Airport and expects to expand it to each of its six other hubs and approximately 200 U.S. airports where United aircraft remain overnight in the coming months. The airline plans to deploy NovaRovers at ten airports, including each of United's seven hubs as well as Boston, Cleveland and Las Vegas.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
LGA-ORD today. About 70% full. I got CPU’d on board but turned it down as first was full, and the exit row was not.

side note: LGA and the new check in facility and bridgewalk to B is AWESOME!!!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Should there be any blocked on UA?
United (and American) announced in the middle of summer that they will stop blocking seats for the sake of the dollar. No one should be shocked at full flights by now. Even when United did have a blocked middle seats policy, pics on social media and even mainstream media proved otherwise. Just consider yourself lucky if your flight isn't full.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
United (and American) announced in the middle of summer that they will stop blocking seats for the sake of the dollar. No one should be shocked at full flights by now. Even when United did have a blocked middle seats policy, pics on social media and even mainstream media proved otherwise. Just consider yourself lucky if your flight isn't full.
That's what I was going off of. I just didn't understand the OP's surprise by this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Seem my SFO-EWR segment Friday is over 70% full. Do I go to the gate agent for re-route request or is that something I can do myself online 24 hours prior? (Of course, without paying a fee or change in fare)

Jiburi
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:01 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by jiburi
Seem my SFO-EWR segment Friday is over 70% full. Do I go to the gate agent for re-route request or is that something I can do myself online 24 hours prior? (Of course, without paying a fee or change in fare)

Jiburi
Let me know how it goes, and if you can find a less crowded alternative. They end up getting filled, in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.