FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

cesco.g Apr 22, 2020 11:15 pm

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

UA to block seats as part of social distancing.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...locking-seats/

kinda:

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...stancing-sham/

COSPILOT Apr 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32316953)
UA to block seats as part of social distancing.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...locking-seats/

Saw that From UA on FB and Twitter this morning. Seems like it matches some others. Given the lack of people, should work fine for now.

Halo117 Apr 22, 2020 11:49 pm

UA is misleading the public on their stance. I have a flight from sfo-iah in early june...old schedule had 7-8 flights daily (mix of 739s and 777s) now down to 3 on A319s..where did all those folks go....you got that right filled up my new flight. They can claim social distancing but then cut capacity to fill up planes at their discretion. Remember the supposed myth of cancelling light loads...well just became fact. If UA won't practice what they preach about safety I will do it for them and cancel.

Weatherboy Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm

They clarified today it isn't a new policy. They said this may or may not happen and is a function of loads

jsloan Apr 23, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32317008)
If UA won't practice what they preach about safety I will do it for them and cancel.

No airline, anywhere in the world, will ever offer six-foot exclusion zones on their flights. They can't -- on a narrowbody, you could seat two people every three rows, and then only if nobody ever uses the aisle -- the flight attendants will be within 6 feet of every passenger on the plane at some point.

UA's stance is not really any different than what anyone else is doing.

PTahCha Apr 23, 2020 8:28 am

With many of the flights downsized and first class already filled up, I'm wondering if they are going to start downgrading people? Or keep status quo and hand out masks?

jsloan Apr 23, 2020 9:32 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 32317955)
With many of the flights downsized and first class already filled up, I'm wondering if they are going to start downgrading people? Or keep status quo and hand out masks?

Neither, although people can certainly downgrade themselves if they want, assuming there's space in Y. If somebody wants to wear a mask on the plane, I doubt that they'll stop them, but I also don't expect that they'll be handing them out (and I personally wouldn't fly any airline where a mask is mandated, but that's neither here nor there).

timfountain Apr 23, 2020 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32318186)
Neither, although people can certainly downgrade themselves if they want, assuming there's space in Y. If somebody wants to wear a mask on the plane, I doubt that they'll stop them, but I also don't expect that they'll be handing them out (and I personally wouldn't fly any airline where a mask is mandated, but that's neither here nor there).

Well, IMHO, you are not going to be flying for a long while! I truly expect that masks will become mandatory in public spaces and certainly on airplanes here in the US. It's inevitable...

jhayes_1780 Apr 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I cant link the article, but FR says if they are legislated to do quarantine/social distance seating, then they will not fly until after those rules go away, the quote was something like: "we cant even cover costs at 66% capacity"

threeoh Apr 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 32317955)

You're looking at the seat map? Hard to say what June will bring but I imagine many of those people will cancel before the flight leaves.

The flight that flew SFO-IAH this morning, for example, had 39 people -- about 1/4 full.

emcampbe Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 32318529)
Well, IMHO, you are not going to be flying for a long while! I truly expect that masks will become mandatory in public spaces and certainly on airplanes here in the US. It's inevitable...

Not on flights themselves, but already flights within and to/from Canada require passengers to have masks with them. I think they are only actually required to be on through security (CATSA checkpoints - so in Canada) and on crew member instructions as well as when social distancing can’t be accomplished. I’m not sure exactly what that means though (ie, on flights within Canada, do passengers need to put it on when attendants are coming through the aisles, as that’s clearly less than 6 feet?). The point Is it’s already started. I believe a crew member, presumably a GA, is required to verify each passenger has a mask.

Asia already has the mask habit, so probably already a critical mass there are doing it. I’d say I’d also be surprised if this isnt a requirement at some point - at least until there is a vaccine available to the masses, and/or if there is enough immunity in the community. That’s not a few weeks away - I’m confident that’s 2+ years at least.

mahasamatman Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32317008)
where did all those folks go....

The smart ones are staying home.

Halo117 Apr 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 32318869)
I cant link the article, but FR says if they are legislated to do quarantine/social distance seating, then they will not fly until after those rules go away, the quote was something like: "we cant even cover costs at 66% capacity"

What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT. The details might be CASM has skyrocketed due to capacity cuts and mounting fixed costs. Airlines can't have it both ways...get payroll covered through September but capture all expenditures against CASM. Since the capacity cuts fares have risen. UA wants to get lean but can't do it fast enough.

My complaint is touting safety only to cram them in by consolidating flights to high load factors. This will be a problem going forward and no vaccine. Save the lip service and give me my snackbox.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 23, 2020 5:56 pm

I think this is being misread? To me, it seems UA will block seats as long as the loads permit, then they'll start filling in adjacent seats.

threeoh Apr 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32319569)
What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT.

FR (Ryanair)'s whole business model is high load factors, low ticket prices, low costs. They've said they don't plan to return to flying until they can get high LFs again. I have no reason to doubt them. (Also, they obviously didn't receive CARES Act money, so not sure why that's relevant).