Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was on a United flight the other day where the second we pushed back from the gate, the woman across the aisle from me started coughing like crazy. Then she took off her mask to aid the coughing.

The FA came by with a stack of napkins and a full size garbage bag to put discarded napkins in during takeoff.

This was in the exit aisle, which is exactly where you want a coughing-incapacitated passenger and other obstructions during takeoff.

Post-COVID I will have masks available for myself when traveling. I have enjoyed not being sick for the last year, and, on longer flights, masks help maintain moisture in the nasal passages and make flying more comfortable.
Weyland Yutani Corp and quoo like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2021 at 6:37 pm Reason: Deabting the science of masking is a topic more appropriate for other forums.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As much as some want to debate the science of mask wearing, pro or con, the UA forum is not the place for that. We discussion the protocols required for travel on UA and our experiences with compliance but not the science or studies. These are not UA specific and beling in a generic forum such as Coronavirus and travel or OMNI/PR dependting on the nature of the discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I read today UA now requires all new employees must show proof of vaccine starting next week. And that they say ~80% current workforce has been fully vaccinated so far. I navigated away and lost the link

Definitely increases my confidence in flying UA. Now let’s discuss restoring the full Polaris soft product and Polaris lounge experience….
Doppy and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/04/unit...ccination.html
United is offering extra pay for pilots and flight attendants who share their vaccine status.
Roughly 80% of United’s approximately 12,500 pilots have been vaccinated, according to a company spokeswoman.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/05/unit...ing-delta.html
United said it will require new hires from outside of the company to attest that they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:23 am

UA mask enforcement when eating/drinking

On UA's site they say that you must keep your mask on between sips and bites ( totally ridiculous). I haven't flown UA since before covid. I know it depends on the crew, but how strictly has this been enforced on your recent flights? I was on AA in March and we could keep the mask off all the time while eating and drinking.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This has nothing to do with UA, it's a TSA directive, and all US carriers are required to comply. TSA SD-1544-21-02A

As with all airlines, enforcement levels depend on the particular crew.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
My experience last month or so from 8 flights:
The ceaseless threatening announcements continue at their previous level, but enforcement, especially during eating/drinking has been relaxed significantly.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by robertjw
On UA's site they say that you must keep your mask on between sips and bites ( totally ridiculous). I haven't flown UA since before covid. I know it depends on the crew, but how strictly has this been enforced on your recent flights? I was on AA in March and we could keep the mask off all the time while eating and drinking.
On 3 different flights I found the FAs to be the mask police. I literally saw them tell me and so many others to put on the mask between biites and sips. It is enough for me to look to fly other airlines for the time being (Jetblue for example I had no issues while eating and drinking).
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This really has nothing to do with the airline. I've had crews on WN, DL, and UA on both sides - strict enforcers vs. no enforcement at all. In my experience, AA crews have been quite lax, but I keep reading about passengers getting kicked off AA flights for refusing to wear a mask, so clearly the inconsistency extends to AA as well.
EWR764, HNLbasedFlyer and SFO1974 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
In general, I've seen common sense being used by UA crews with respect to keeping the masked lowered/removed while actively eating. Obviously, mask usage required when not actively eating. That being said, I did encounter one FA a few months ago flying SEA-DEN who was a little off. He made the mask announcement every 5 minutes inflight and would stalk F passengers and yell at them to get their masks up while chewing and only one bite was allowed at a time. He was the exception. Everyone else has been pretty reasonable regarding mask usage while eating.

,FlyerBeek
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Personally, I have always taken my mask off (completely) when eating at every occasion during the past 12 months, including flying (85+ flights). No one has said anything, but I am also a fast eater.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:08 am

The few times I have flow UA, I have removed my COVID-19 facial covering, had my drink and or snack and then put it back on, only once was I told to put it back on after each sip or bite.

I looked at her and said, I washed my hands in the lavatory, I am touching food with my bare hands, there is mo way that I am going to touch my dirty mask until after I have finished eating, being cleanly is important and as someone who always washes his hands before eating I am not about to change that now.

She looked at me for a second, said well put it back on once you are finished and that was that.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The FAs are in a tough spot. The rules come from the TSA, and the TSA issued the rules to comply with President Biden's January 20th Executive Order. That doesn't leave the FAs, or the airlines, with much discretion.

I haven't seen anything that really defines the "between sips and bites" part of the rule. Before the Federal rule, there were passengers who'd use a drink or snack to justify going mask-less for extended periods of time. Most of us can agree that the rule intends to stop that practice but does the rule mean that someone who is actively eating/drinking, without pauses between sips and bites, has to replace the mask which chewing? I don't know and neither does anyone else.

Meanwhile, the FAs are burnt out on enforcing these rules, the announcements, and dealing with the frequent non-compliance. That leads to inconsistent enforcement even from the same individual flight attendant.

I believe that the rules are currently set to expire in September, but that can be extended or moved up. If you feel strongly about the airline and airport mask requirement, one way or the other, I'd recommend writing to your representatives in Congress. They are the ones who can affect change or keep it as it is.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the crew, though I feel like crews are more relaxed lately between (presumably) being vaccinated and lower rates overall. The good news is that following the "bites and sips" policy is very easy to do.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My HNL-SFO crew was very diligent about enforcing masks. Delivering the meal (dude simply forgot) and a drink service prior to landing, not so much.

I rarely (never?) have ill to say about UA crews but this was not a shining moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.