Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jan 24, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting discussion - Does one prefer to fly an airline where you know every employee was vaccinated from check-in to the gate to inflight to baggage handlers by xx/xx date. Or, the airline that may have 50% voluntary vaccinations? I'll prefer to take the required vaccinations flight.
Doppy, FLYMSY and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:15 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting discussion - Does one prefer to fly an airline where you know every employee was vaccinated from check-in to the gate to inflight to baggage handlers by xx/xx date. Or, the airline that may have 50% voluntary vaccinations? I'll prefer to take the required vaccinations flight.
Easy answer. Every employee. While there will obviously be exceptions due to anyone with a severe allergy to vaccines, I dont believe it should be a choice for others. If you want the gig, do the right thing for the customers around you.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

vaccinations for flight crew / older employees

article:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2AV21O

Originally Posted by reuters
American Airlines and United Airlines on Thursday will begin providing workers with Johnson & Johnsons single-shot COVID-19 vaccine at Chicagos OHare airport, according to letters sent to Chicago-based employees.

In Chicago, United is working in partnership with the city and local health department on vaccine distribution, which will be available on a reservation-only basis for employees who live or work in Chicago and are either flight crew or over 65.

Also of note, not mandatory (yet?)
Originally Posted by reuters
United Airlines Chief Executive Scott Kirby said in January that the airline may make the COVID-19 vaccine mandatory for workers, something a spokeswoman said on Wednesday the company is still considering once vaccines are more widely available.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Economy or First Class?

(Did not see this discussed elsewhere, booking info from UA Flight Status pages) 2-3 hour domestic morning flight in 1-2 days, minimally booked, only 8 of 56 economy plus seats reserved thus a dozen completely empty groups of 3 seats. I’m first on the upgrade list with 7 booked 1st class seats out of 16 total 1st class seats. I’ve got my preferred economy emergency exit window seat reserved, with the other 2 seats empty, completely empty row in front of my row and 1 aisle seat filled in row behind me. Inflight amenities: United First: Snack, United Economy: Meals are not offered for this flight. I’m a light drinker, will not drink alcohol on this flight, vaccinated 6 weeks ago.

Question: presuming I’m offered or changed to 1st class, with the adjacent seat occupied, and my row still showing 2 adjacent seats empty, should I accept the (complimentary premier) upgrade? Does the current COVID situation affect the decision and if so, how? Should I call and request to be removed from the upgrade list?

Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 10, 2021 at 2:54 pm Reason: Moved to thread where issue has been discussed regularily
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If you've been vaccinated I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to enjoy a more comfortable seat.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:48 pm

Don't see significant relevance to UA here, seems a lot more like a personal safety preference question.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by benfro6
Don't see significant relevance to UA here, seems a lot more like a personal safety preference question.
Yep.

Highly dependent on the risk tolerance of the passenger.

Personally, I have flown throughout 2020 and 2021 (so far) with strangers sitting next to me. Never an ounce of hesitation.

This is your own choice, Dr.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(Did not see this discussed elsewhere, booking info from UA Flight Status pages) 2-3 hour domestic morning flight in 1-2 days, minimally booked, only 8 of 56 economy plus seats reserved thus a dozen completely empty groups of 3 seats. Im first on the upgrade list with 7 booked 1st class seats out of 16 total 1st class seats. Ive got my preferred economy emergency exit window seat reserved, with the other 2 seats empty, completely empty row in front of my row and 1 aisle seat filled in row behind me. Inflight amenities: United First: Snack, United Economy: Meals are not offered for this flight. Im a light drinker, will not drink alcohol on this flight, vaccinated 6 weeks ago.

Question: presuming Im offered or changed to 1st class, with the adjacent seat occupied, and my row still showing 2 adjacent seats empty, should I accept the (complimentary premier) upgrade? Does the current COVID situation affect the decision and if so, how? Should I call and request to be removed from the upgrade list?

Thank you.
Personally, I would rather have an entire row to myself in Y than a single domestic F seat, plague or no plague. With no real service to speak of in domestic F at this point, that would pretty much decide it for me.

You of course have to decide that for yourself, but I don't find domestic F seats to be all that comfortable and I would rather stretch out across three Y seats, given the option.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'll take front cabin on most daytime flights and decline upgrade if I can have a whole row to myself in back if I want to sleep (generally redeyes w/o lie-flat F).
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by cmd320
Personally, I would rather have an entire row to myself in Y than a single domestic F seat, plague or no plague. With no real service to speak of in domestic F at this point, that would pretty much decide it for me.

You of course have to decide that for yourself, but I don't find domestic F seats to be all that comfortable and I would rather stretch out across three Y seats, given the option.
My feet would block the aisle doing that. Recently I had such three seats to myself in PC, as my wife had been upgraded to F, and while I'm slim enough to be comfortable in a regular seat, it was nice to have the table space not to spill your beer all over the iPad. One thing I have noticed over the years is that I don't enjoy sleeping on domestic flights anymore, so no more evening and red eye flights. My choice would be the one F seat.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by cmd320

You would be lucky to have a whole row to yourself in economy anymore, let alone an empty middle seat. I have been missing the upgrades quite frequently over the last month & most flights I have been on are going out mostly full.

OP, if you want to have a guarantee of more space buy F.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:18 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
You would be lucky to have a whole row to yourself in economy anymore, let alone an empty middle seat. I have been missing the upgrades quite frequently over the last month & most flights I have been on are going out mostly full.

OP, if you want to have a guarantee of more space buy F.
This. United (and probably most airlines that are smart) are going to slowly and carefully add equipment, thus maxing out the capacity first and foremost. It seems to be the consensus.

Personally, I have only flown (very limited albeit) in First class paid for the last 12 months. Barely any flights. But now I am starting to book in Economy with a vaccination. Let's see what happens this summer!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
In general I agree, but if the OP is within 24-48 hours and the Y+ Cabin is 8/56, its a pretty safe bet that the plane wont be going out all that full.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
On my last flight, the purser went on a 5 minute rant on how to take a bite of food, replace your mask, remove your mask, take another bite or a drink and replace your mask...rinse and repeat. No exaggeration, this went on for 5 minutes about the requirements for COVID-safe eating and drinking, and that it was supposedly, "law". Anyone who failed to comply, according to this Joe Pantoliano-like wannabe comedian, would be permanently banned from flying on the best airline in the skies.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2021 at 8:39 pm Reason: split post
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
+1. On my last flight, the purser went on a 5 minute rant on how to take a bite of food, replace your mask, remove your mask, take another bite or a drink and replace your mask...rinse and repeat. No exaggeration, this went on for 5 minutes about the requirements for COVID-safe eating and drinking, and that it was supposedly, "law". Anyone who failed to comply, according to this Joe Pantoliano-like wannabe comedian, would be permanently banned from flying on the best airline in the skies.
Yeah, they were even announcing the “between bites and sips” ridiculousness over the PA in the IAD clubs last week. As an aside, I find it totally insane. They weren’t enforcing or even mentioning that on early COVID flights, but to pretend it does anything more than make eating or drinking a frustrating dance is ridiculous. I thought most FAs were reasonable about it, but you really had one who expected everyone to do the “bites and sips” routine lest they witness his “authority”? I do my best, but if everyone truly did that meal service would take 90 minutes.

This is getting to be a bit much. I wonder if I’ll soon be able to staple my vaccine card to my forehead and get exempted?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2021 at 8:37 pm Reason: split post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.