Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: no longer blocking middle seats ,**REQUIRING** mask usage,

UA COVID19 precautions: no longer blocking middle seats ,**REQUIRING** mask usage,

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 11, 20, 12:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 20, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1E & 1F appear to be blocked, so if no other seats become available, you'll get one of those. However, I suggest signing up for ExpertFlyer; their free account level allows for seat notifications, so you can sign up to receive an email if a seat becomes available.

No. I suspect they'll have quite a few people cancel. If they're actually oversold in the business class cabin -- rare, but the old rules don't really apply in 2020 -- they'd reseat someone in the economy cabin and provide a refund of the fare difference plus a customer service voucher. But I'd be more worried about being admitted into Aruba than I would about not having a seat.

Thanks for the advice! I'm signed up on ExpertFlyer so we'll see what happens.
Old Sep 8, 20, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I haven’t seen 1EF occupied on any 737 flights I’ve taken post-pandemic, and all except one or two have been full in F. I think they are a hard block for FA “social distancing”, so they aren’t on the same jumpseat.
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS View Post
Flights BOS-ORD (738) and ORD-BOS (739) this weekend. On both flights 1E and 1F were kept open for flight attendants. Cabin was completely full otherwise and people left on upgrade list
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I've seen anecdotal reports that two seats in row 1 are the last to be filled (I thought it was 1B and 1E, but it might be 1E/F), but that they get filled nonetheless when necessary. I doubt that UA would pay downgrade compensation rather than fill those seats. But I also think that there are likely to be enough cancellations that it won't matter to the OP.
I've certainly seen some weird patterns with seat blocking on domestic flights for crew distancing purposes or what not.

For LAX-IAD-LAX on the 788, 4KL, 5KL, and 6KL all showed as blocked; this changed to 3L, 4L, and 5L once a Polaris seatmap was loaded (both blocking patterns appear to be consistent with international flights on the 788). Nobody except airport agents seemed to be able to assign those seats (I was originally in 3L on both flights but got booted to 2L and 3A, respectively, once the Polaris seatmap was loaded), but they did end up filling the seats and the flights went out full.

For PIT-IAD on a Mesa E175, 1C showed as blocked and was never assigned. The flight went out with one or two people on the upgrade list.
Old Sep 9, 20, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
I flew EWR-LAX, and LAX-EWR last week, in Business/Mint. First leg on UA, second leg on B6. Prices were the same ($439 each way).

UA: 767, 28/30 seats taken in P.S. UC access, which was miserable. Meal on board was overcooked pasta with minimal red sauce. Service was minimized, nothing proactive. Had two drinks and went to sleep.
B6: A321, 8/16 taken/blocked seat policy. Mint boards last. I was in 4F (a solo seat) and was moved prior to departure to 5A. Spoke with the gate agent who said the seat was broken but guaranteed no seat mate in 5A and all good. Meal was excellent. Proactive offering of drinks and tasty vodka/lime/mint cocktail and $20+ wines. Great seat and crew. I didn't miss the lounge access I had on UA (oreos, Ritz, apples).

Old Sep 9, 20, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
I flew EWR-LAX, and LAX-EWR last week, in Business/Mint. First leg on UA, second leg on B6. Prices were the same ($439 each way).

UA: 767, 28/30 seats taken in P.S. UC access, which was miserable. Meal on board was overcooked pasta with minimal red sauce. Service was minimized, nothing proactive. Had two drinks and went to sleep.
B6: A321, 8/16 taken/blocked seat policy. Mint boards last. I was in 4F (a solo seat) and was moved prior to departure to 5A. Spoke with the gate agent who said the seat was broken but guaranteed no seat mate in 5A and all good. Meal was excellent. Proactive offering of drinks and tasty vodka/lime/mint cocktail and $20+ wines. Great seat and crew. I didn't miss the lounge access I had on UA (oreos, Ritz, apples).

Mint is currently the best J product in North America. The only hard product which beats it is AA's once daily MIA-LAX-MIA flight in F on their 77W, and even there the food isn't very good now (domestic F quality).
Old Sep 9, 20, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

United could be better - but chooses not to be.
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
United could be better - but chooses not to be.
"Ahem, saves money....err....protects you from COVID, I mean..."

David
bocastephen, lincolnjkc and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
"Ahem, saves money....err....protects you from COVID, I mean..."

David
No, these really are COVID safety precautions. They are protecting their money from the disease.

Kacee and findark like this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Perhaps I am in the minority - but each one of those dishes looks absolutely dreadful to me - especially the one in the middle. If that was posted as a UA premium meal my money is the overwhelming posts would be negative from a visual perspective.
st3 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Mint is currently the best J product in North America. The only hard product which beats it is AA's once daily MIA-LAX-MIA flight in F on their 77W, and even there the food isn't very good now (domestic F quality).
I love the Mint service, but the hard product (Thompson Vantage, with a weird inflatable cushion) is subpar. The Diamond seat used by UA, DL, and AA in J is much more comfortable, and the Polaris and Cirrus seats used by UA (limited flights) and AA (F) are far superior.

That said, I would choose B6 (or DL) over UA or AA (J) right now due to the guaranteed seat blocking. I flew AA F in June and would do that again, too.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Perhaps I am in the minority - but each one of those dishes looks absolutely dreadful to me - especially the one in the middle.
They do look a bit soupy. B6 does try much harder with its food and service than UA, but the food does not always live up to the promise of the menu description.
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I love the Mint service, but the hard product (Thompson Vantage, with a weird inflatable cushion) is subpar. The Diamond seat used by UA, DL, and AA in J is much more comfortable, and the Polaris and Cirrus seats used by UA (limited flights) and AA (F) are far superior.

That said, I would choose B6 (or DL) over UA or AA (J) right now due to the guaranteed seat blocking. I flew AA F in June and would do that again, too.

They do look a bit soupy. B6 does try much harder with its food and service than UA, but the food does not always live up to the promise of the menu description.
I agree on the AA F seat, but for the J seats I'd take Mint Suite over the others any day.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hmmm. Which would you prefer?

UA:

B6:

Your call.

David
Xyzzy, seanp7, artvandalay and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA:

B6:

Your call.

David
I mean, I guess it's possible some people are just really into shelf-stable genetically modified cheese-food products.
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I agree on the AA F seat, but for the J seats I'd take Mint Suite over the others any day.
I'm curious why. The vantage is several generations old and almost universally disliked. It's a very narrow seat with a small footwell. And the inflatable cushion B6 uses is weird and subject to deflation failure. I can't really sleep in that seat, which is basically a deal-killer for me, as I like to take redeyes t-con.
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

UA:

B6:

Your call.

David
I'd immediately send back the B6 meal - it literally makes me recoil. If I was going on a long flight, I would plan appropriately and bring my own meal regardless of carrier - I don't eat airline food with very rare exceptions.
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I don't eat airline food with very rare exceptions.
Well then, I'd say you're not really the target audience for enhanced in-flight meal quality

Search this Thread
Search Engine: