Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
These recent changes by the major carriers were updated in the last 24-48 hours, so it will take time to get the word out (to passengers and employees). And most of the new policies are not effective until next week. Little happens on the airline industry instantly.
I don't disagree with your assessment of things moving slowly in the industry. However, given how quickly the mobile app is able to be updated for the "warnings" now (must wear a face mask, must not have symptoms, etc.) to now having to check a box for *each* of these --- that required several app updates in the span of a week. We all know the agents on board the plane read from a script on a device. United could *easily* update their app as well to include the changed wording about the mask policy.

I flew on two flights again today. Both used the same script, both mentioned the medical exemption, and oddly the ad lib announcement from the SkyWest pilot on one of my flights also included the "except if you're eating, drinking or have a medical necessity not to wear a mask...". I would think pilots would be the last to get the memo of course.

The FA on the United Express flight had to reiterate the mask policy after take off because half the plane took it off. The domestic wide body (50% full) didn't have to mention it after take off and I didn't see anyone remove their mask.

-RM
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by blitzen
Great. Window seat 1st row > no one next to you ..... seat reserved
Until they clear upgrades at the gate and POOF! You're now trapped in a window seat between someone and the wall. It's all theater. They will fill every seat if people are willing to buy them or spend points to UG into them.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Until they clear upgrades at the gate and POOF! You're now trapped in a window seat between someone and the wall. It's all theater. They will fill every seat if people are willing to buy them or spend points to UG into them.
1B and 1E have been blocked and empty on every mainline domestic flight I have taken.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gate45
1B and 1E have been blocked and empty on every mainline domestic flight I have taken.
I think I'm at ~25% with 1B/1E actually remaining open on the 737 fleet and 0% Row 1 blockage on the CR7 fleet (the only fleet types I've had more than a single flight on since the world ended) -- perhaps its because these flights are extremely full -- in one case I'm pretty sure Y was sold to 100%+ so without CPU/OP-UPing people had 1B/E not been used I think the flight would have gone the VDB route.

It could also be gate agents not understanding/consistently implementing the guidance -- one early flight 1AB were open but 1EF were full (I got stuck in 1E... I hate aisles...but thought it would have been pushing it to to ask to move to 1A)
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gate45
I got upgraded at T-24 into 1B and promptly switched as I abhor bulkhead and strongly prefer a window. This was a 739. It has looked like 1E/F have been blocked.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I think I'm at ~25% with 1B/1E actually remaining open on the 737 fleet and 0% Row 1 blockage on the CR7 fleet (the only fleet types I've had more than a single flight on since the world ended) -- perhaps its because these flights are extremely full -- in one case I'm pretty sure Y was sold to 100%+ so without CPU/OP-UPing people had 1B/E not been used I think the flight would have gone the VDB route.
+1 That has been my experience over the last 30 days. Whether it is load or GA's clearing into those seats, it is definitely happening. My percentage is about 60% of the time on mainline those seats got filled. YMMV
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As a part of UA Plans to Resume Service on More Than 25 International Routes in September UA included this updated on their COVID procedures
Does not appear to be anything new
Committed to Ensuring a Safe Journey

United is committed to putting health and safety at the forefront of every customer's journey, with the goal of delivering an industry-leading standard of cleanliness through its United CleanPlus program. United has teamed up with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic to redefine cleaning and health safety procedures from check-in to landing and has implemented more than a dozen new policies, protocols and innovations designed with the safety of customers and employees in mind, including:
  • Requiring all travelers – including crew members – to wear face coverings and potentially revoking travel privileges for customers who do not follow these requirements, as underscored in a recent video from United CEO Scott Kirby.
  • Using state-of-the-art high-efficiency (HEPA) filters on most United mainline aircraft to circulate air and remove up to 99.97% of airborne particles.
  • Using electrostatic spraying on all mainline aircraft before departure for enhanced cabin sanitation.
  • Adding a step to the check-in process, based on a recommendation from the Cleveland Clinic, requiring customers to acknowledge they do not have symptoms for COVID-19 and agree to follow our policies, including wearing a mask on board.
  • Offering customers a touchless baggage check-in experience at more than 200 airports across the United States; United is the first and only U.S. airline to make this technology available.
For more details on all the ways United is helping keep customers safe during their journey, please visit united.com/cleanplus.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:24 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
With all the hoo-hah about infection control, I was surprised to see (from two different sources above) a plastic glass inverted over a wine bottle. Have UA serving standards dropped that much, or do they actually disinfect the tops of wine bottles? Granted, the chance of Covid surviving on a wine bottle is apparently not likely, but what about other viruses, bacteria and just plain dirt?

Think about it: How comfortable would you feel (health-wise) about licking a wine bottle cap?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2020 at 12:45 pm Reason: Moved to COVID precautions thread
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1984SW
...Think about it: How comfortable would you feel (health-wise) about licking a wine bottle cap?
Hmmm - I’ve seemed to have avoided the urge to lick a wine bottle cap during my six decades on this planet.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hmmm - I’ve seemed to have avoided the urge to lick a wine bottle cap during my six decades on this planet.
What 1984SW is getting at - the bottom of the cup now rests atop the bottle cap that hasn't been disinfected and was likely touched as the FA grasped from above and extracted it from the tray, not to mention the Chelsea FS folks who touched the bottle and cap - all within a few hours of you receiving said bottle and now contacted cup bottom.

Others on this forum and thread will respond that the criticality of this exposure is low to CV-19.

What is more important is the obvious lack of concern about secondary contact and further contamination depending on where you next touch once you've removed the cap since you'll have touched the cap that wasn't disinfected.

David
wpcoe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:02 pm
formerly 1984SW

Think about it: How comfortable would you feel (health-wise) about licking a wine bottle cap?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Right, you WOULDN'T lick the bottle cap, but by drinking from a plastic cup whose inner surfaces were touching that bottle cap, you've accomplished the same thing -- you are ingesting what ever dirt/virus/bacteria were on that cap.

Originally Posted by DELee
Others on this forum and thread will respond that the criticality of this exposure is low to CV-19.
The entire spectrum of dirt, bacteria, virii, etc that can be on that bottle cap is now going to be in the cup that you drink out of. Such a scenario is basic hygiene training in the food and beverage industry, or used to be, and should again be.

Last edited by wpcoe; Aug 1, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Right, you WOULDN'T lick the bottle cap, but by drinking from a plastic cup whose inner surfaces were touching that bottle cap, you've resulted in the same thing -- you are ingesting what ever dirt/virus/bacteria were on that cap.
This is funny - I took four flights this week and every single flight I was served wine with the bottle right side up, in a cup, but the bottle was surrounded by a napkin so that it never touched the cup itself -- while I know the risk in infinitesimally low I still appreciated the effort -- now having a tapas box as the only food on a 5+ hour flight in F -- I miss the old days - but I did suck down those nuts fast....
wpcoe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:15 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by Textile
This is funny - I took four flights this week and every single flight I was served wine with the bottle right side up, in a cup, but the bottle was surrounded by a napkin so that it never touched the cup itself -- while I know the risk in infinitesimally low I still appreciated the effort -- now having a tapas box as the only food on a 5+ hour flight in F -- I miss the old days - but I did suck down those nuts fast....
That's totally acceptable! The photos I referenced were in a different thread (from which my post was moved to this thread) and both photos were of a cup inverted over a wine bottle with *no* napkin.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Right, you WOULDN'T lick the bottle cap, but by drinking from a plastic cup whose inner surfaces were touching that bottle cap, you've accomplished the same thing -- you are ingesting what ever dirt/virus/bacteria were on that cap.

The entire spectrum of dirt, bacteria, virii, etc that can be on that bottle cap is now going to be in the cup that you drink out of.
Ah, but perhaps the FA thought that the collective spectra on the cap would add to to the bouquet given the quality of the wine...mmmmm....

David
wpcoe likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I find it entertaining that folks above have serious contamination concerns when a cup may come into contact with a wine cap yet........

Have little issue with eating and drinking for an hour on a plane (i.e. going without a mask) which has far greater chance of your lungs coming into contact with Covid-19 than your mouth coming into contact with the same or any other infectious agent from the bottom of a "touched" plastic (i.e. one use) wine cup.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.