Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I don't see how United can enforce mask usage at places like baggage claim which are airport property, not airline.
This depends on the airport; pretty sure baggage claim in Terminal 1 at ORD is owned or long-term leased by United, for example. (Masks required by state order in ORD anyway, but you get the idea.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The same way that they can do it on a plane: by refusing to allow you to fly with them again in the future. Of course, that assumes that they can figure out your name and that you're a UA customer in the first place. Then again, it's all theater anyway, so UA is free to make up whatever policies they want.
Well that's sort of the point. At my home airport I can go from parking all the way through the airport to the gate house without ever setting foot in an area leased or operated by United and without ever contacting a UA employee. There are even non-airline specific check in kiosks to print BPs. Seems pretty silly IMO and should be something managed by the airport itself.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Well that's sort of the point. At my home airport I can go from parking all the way through the airport to the gate house without ever setting foot in an area leased or operated by United and without ever contacting a UA employee. There are even non-airline specific check in kiosks to print BPs. Seems pretty silly IMO and should be something managed by the airport itself.
Yes, assuming no gov't mandate: in the airport-controlled spaces the airport makes the rules. In United-controlled space, United makes the rules. United announced a change to their rules. Not sure why this is so controversial.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes, assuming no gov't mandate: in the airport-controlled spaces the airport makes the rules. In United-controlled space, United makes the rules. United announced a change to their rules. Not sure why this is so controversial.
Yep. Just filling any potential gaps. And scoring some free publicity along the way. A very large majority of Americans are in favor of masks.
tcdtcd and chemengin like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I was pretty disappointed on UA279 today from DEN to IAH on a 777. I sat in 20D with my neighbor in 20G and no one in the two seats between us. He immediately took his mask off and took a nap the entire flight with no mask. He never put it on again and deplaned with no mask. I also saw people with masks below their noses the entire flight. I know that it's got to be a massive pain for the FAs to enforce this but it would go a long way to gain the public's trust that flying is relatively safe by enforcing this requirement.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by JNelson113; Jul 22, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113
.... I know that it's got to be a massive pain for the FAs to enforce this but it would go a long way to gain the public's trust that flying is really enforcing this requirement.
Did you ask or point this out to a FA?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was on the ORD-MCO flight earlier in the week...i was enjoying my Coke during the flight and all of a sudden the FA came up to me explaining that someone was complaining about me since i had my mask off...I looked at him with an odd look and gestured over to the can of Coke....The FA became very embarrassed and told me to take my time with the beverage....
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you ask or point this out to a FA?
Good question. I should have although it’s hard to imagine that they could have missed seeing him based on how he was sleeping. The good news is that most UA flights I’ve taken have had good mask compliance. This guy was definitely outside the norm.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I would say at the end of the day, you’re right. But at the beginning of the day they can do anything they want and not let you check your bag or let you board
Yes, but you quoted me talking about baggage claim, not check in. Check in agents can refuse to serve you. Similar to "no shirt, no shoes, no service." But baggage claim, I don't see how. And that's what my post was about. There are no United agents there at the carousels as bags go by so you aren't interacting with them. The baggage claim service office is obviously a different story.

-RM
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1k 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by siesta6207
I was on the ORD-MCO flight earlier in the week...i was enjoying my Coke during the flight and all of a sudden the FA came up to me explaining that someone was complaining about me since i had my mask off...I looked at him with an odd look and gestured over to the can of Coke....The FA became very embarrassed and told me to take my time with the beverage....
While I have about 15 segments in the Covid era, they were all on Polaris birds where I could cocoon in 1A and not interact with anyone. Not looking forward to an upcoming SFO-SJD trip in 2x2 United First. I am a deliberate eater and drinker and normally would spend 70% of any flight eating or drinking and hence would be maskless. I am not anti-mask by any means but do believe it's more theater than anything and will go on enjoying and living my life (which includes savoring the fine wines and expertly crafted cocktails onboard UA - hopefully can do that in peace without harassment that you experienced).
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Check in agents can refuse to serve you. Similar to "no shirt, no shoes, no service." But baggage claim, I don't see how.
So one should feel free to go topless and unshod in the baggage claim?

Look, just because they don't have an easy automatic enforcement mechanism doesn't mean they can't publicize a rule.

Will some people stand at baggage claim with no mask successfully? Yes. Will some unmasked people be asked to put on a mask because of this rule? Yes. Will more people wear masks because of this rule? Yes.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
So one should feel free to go topless and unshod in the baggage claim?
Going topless into the baggage claim would be illegal in the US. That's a bit of a different story.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:48 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
While it’s not UA...yet...I LOVE this and wish UA would follow:

https://apple.news/AEAQZPRimSfmxnK-BqmINew

Snippet added
Passengers who refuse to wear masks based on medical exemptions will no longer be able to fly on American Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2020 at 10:22 pm Reason: Snippet added
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wunderpit
While it’s not UA...yet...I LOVE this and wish UA would follow:

https://apple.news/AEAQZPRimSfmxnK-BqmINew
UA has already announced, no exceptions (except under 2 and while eating / drinking -- no "medical exceptions") plus United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

Delta and United are doubling down on mask requirements, calling out phony medical exemptions and banning passengers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:41 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
ah! I stand corrected! No medical excuses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.