Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
In addition, multiple scientists have said that there can be no "effective" social distancing on an airplane, so the value of an empty middle is suspect.
That conclusion does not follow.

There are points during a flight where it is very difficult to social distance, e.g., when everyone gets up from their seats to retrieve their luggage and deplane. However, that does not negate the benefit of maintaining greater distance from other passengers while in flight. That's just simple physics. This is all about risk mitigation, not total elimination of risk. I personally will take every step I can to reduce risk of catching (or unknowingly transmitting) COVID-19, acknowledging that there is some risk any time I leave my house. This means I won't be flying UA anytime soon.
SPN Lifer, spin88, Clay_C. and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
That conclusion does not follow.

There are points during a flight where it is very difficult to social distance, e.g., when everyone gets up from their seats to retrieve their luggage and deplane. However, that does not negate the benefit of maintaining greater distance from other passengers while in flight. That's just simple physics. This is all about risk mitigation, not total elimination of risk. I personally will take every step I can to reduce risk of catching (or unknowingly transmitting) COVID-19, acknowledging that there is some risk any time I leave my house. This means I won't be flying UA anytime soon.
Yep. Fewer people on board, and further away as possible, means less virus I might be exposed to. 6 ft isn't some magical shield of protection. This is degrees of risk, and with this announcement United becomes more risky.
SPN Lifer and spin88 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Short of that, the best way to social distance on an airplane is to find a flight with lie-flats, and buy up front. Even that isn't really social distancing, but about the closest you can get to it on an airplane that isn't about 30% or less full.
That is the camp that that I am in. My companion and I are flying SFO-ORD in early August on a 787, in seats 1A and 1B. It's an 11:00 PM departure as well, on a Friday night. Even if the loads aren't light, I suspect that most PAX will be in their seats sleeping, and not rummaging about through the cabin. Given that our other options are to drive, fly private, or not fly at all....I think that this is our fourth safest option.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Given that our other options are to drive, fly private, or not fly at all....I think that this is our fourth safest option.
I might guess that the risk [to life] of driving 3,600+ miles exceeds the risk [to life] of getting COVID on a commercial flight, even
SFOrunner and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
+1 - Completely agree. If it makes you feel better to have an empty middle (which I never would have anyway, since all my traveling is with family anyway), then great, but what happens when the aisle/window in the two rows in front of/behind you are full. Do you ignore that? Empty middle sounds nice, and I suppose on some level, having the middle empty (and 1 less person in your row) is better than not, it doesn't really make that much a health difference. I'm not a scientist, but I'd guess mask use from those around you is a much better way to keep safe than whether or not there is someone in the middle seat.
Also for those who haven’t had the pleasure of air travel during this event. Coach has truly become self loading cattle. Fa’s Often make a quick pass up and down the aisle not to be seen until landing. 1st has been reduced to what coach used to be. Add to that most UCs are closed you are lucky if you find one vendor open after security.

My guess is those traveling right now are in one of two camps: they either have to go on a trip, or they don't really care about social distancing. Anyone actually thinking about it for two seconds should realize that an empty middle while filling both window/aisle, not to mention window/aisle in the row directly in front/behind is not anywhere close to social distancing. In order to have that in the Y cabin, you'd need to sell only the window seats in every third row. Short of that, the best way to social distance on an airplane is to find a flight with lie-flats, and buy up front. Even that isn't really social distancing, but about the closest you can get to it on an airplane that isn't about 30% or less full.
I belong to the camp that has to fly (26 flights 10 of which were TCONs) and I believe that protecting myself is more effective than hoping that someone else practices self protection. With (very little additional) little effort all my TCONs have been in Polaris seating, thanks to pluspoints.
Third attempt to edit:
If you are in the group that hasn't had the pleasure of air travel since this &(%$%& started. Coach is now really self loading cattle. Where FAs make their safety brefing, hand out water bottles (and sometime a snack) and are not seen until prelanding clean up. 1st is slightly better with a 'light' service. As for the airport experience, most UCs are closed and after clearing security you are lucky to find an open vendor.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jul 1, 2020 at 6:46 am Reason: Additional context
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I belong to the camp that has to fly (26 flights 10 of which were TCONs) and I believe that protecting myself is more effective than hoping that someone else practices self protection. With (very little additional) little effort all my TCONs have been in Polaris seating, thanks to pluspoints.
And herein lies the rub. It is not everyone on the plane practicing "self protection" by wearing a mask. It is a joint/shared effort to protect everyone on the plane by reducing the level of exhalation virus by everyone wearing face coverings. And fewer people on the plane means less virus in the air. And further away (empty middle) means less virus close to me.

I have only flown one round trip post COVID. I took every precaution to protect myself (KN95 mask, safety glasses, disinfecting my seat, not eating/drinking). The rub is that all these efforts are much more effective when the entire group participates.

Takes a village, folks.
AeRoSpaceman and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And herein lies the rub. It is not everyone on the plane practicing "self protection" by wearing a mask. It is a joint/shared effort to protect everyone on the plane by reducing the level of exhalation virus by everyone wearing face coverings. And fewer people on the plane means less virus in the air. And further away (empty middle) means less virus close to me.

I have only flown one round trip post COVID. I took every precaution to protect myself (KN95 mask, safety glasses, disinfecting my seat, not eating/drinking). The rub is that all these efforts are much more effective when the entire group participates.

Takes a village, folks.
One does what one needs to do! And the village ain't what it used to be.
Thanks to my career choice this is far from my first rodeo and I’m not treating this like the zombie apocalypse. I’m out in it everyday. My daily go bag includes several mask types including a modified full face (and for personal use nothing less than a N95), gloves, 1st aid kit, and now thanks to current events a concealed carry permit taser. I’m more concerned about the violent environment around my customers than the virus.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We've got some travel later this week on a 739. UA had middle seats blocked but they seem to have dropped the blocks a day or so ago as others have noticed. This morning I looked to see if our CPUs have cleared (are they still holding CPUs until just before boarding?). That's when I noticed that our E+ seats had been changed. Instead of being in D and F we were in D and E. In fact, looking at the seatmap, there were a few rws where two passengers who were formerly in A and C or D and F were now next to each other. Have others seen this too? The seatmap is identical. I don't think this is due to an aircraft swap.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
One does what one needs to do! And the village ain't what it used to be.
Thanks to my career choice this is far from my first rodeo and I’m not treating this like the zombie apocalypse. I’m out in it everyday. My daily go bag includes several mask types including a modified full face (and for personal use nothing less than a N95), gloves, 1st aid kit, and now thanks to current events a concealed carry permit taser. I’m more concerned about the violent environment around my customers than the virus.
+1
Work needs to get done and I am out there doing it. Up to 45K BIS on UA since this thing started. I only use 3M N95s, anything less is a waste of time. When I am out in public, the mask never comes off, but I am literally dumbfounded by how many in retail and hospitality that are wearing their masks with their noses exposed. At a McDonalds that I frequent, they will yell at anyone who comes through the door without a mask, but I regularly see the cook and the line assembler making my food with their noses exposed. It's truly funny. Self-awareness and logic are in short supply these days.
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 1, 2020 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
We've got some travel later this week on a 739. UA had middle seats blocked but they seem to have dropped the blocks a day or so ago as others have noticed. This morning I looked to see if our CPUs have cleared (are they still holding CPUs until just before boarding?). That's when I noticed that our E+ seats had been changed. Instead of being in D and F we were in D and E. In fact, looking at the seatmap, there were a few rws where two passengers who were formerly in A and C or D and F were now next to each other. Have others seen this too? The seatmap is identical. I don't think this is due to an aircraft swap.
Still holding to the gate. Consider asking the gate agent to attempt to keep you together beforehand if possible (a little tricky with the B/F advance block).
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of those things were also true last year. They're true every flu season. They'll be true next year also. If UA -- or any other airline -- keeps these protocols in place for the long term, they'll go bankrupt.

There is a risk involved in taking a flight, just like there is a risk involved in every single other activity in life -- including staying home. (The weight gain that many people, including myself, are experiencing during this time of forced inactivity is going to have long-term effects too). Each individual passenger needs to judge that risk for themselves.

And, once again, the risk of flying is far outweighed by the risk of traveling in the first place.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Takes a village, folks.
To be clear, wearing a mask is less about 'self-protection' than about protecting from spread and getting other people sick, especially since you can have COVID and not show symptoms for as long as 2 weeks or so, or perhaps, not at all. At least the standard masks recommended for the public (not talking about N95 used by health workers, etc.). I'm also not a health expert, but my understanding is that while masks may offer a bit more protection to the wearer than if they don't have it, its more about not being able to infect others - ie, protecting others from droplets that may come from you if you aren't wearing a mask. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the 'masks don't let me have my freedom' camp, or are too selfish to care about others, or even themselves.

Or, as also mentioned, those who don't know how to properly wear them (ie, where they don't cover their nose...I even saw one who had it over their chin, but not mouth/nose). If folks are going to wear masks, even if requeired to by work, etc., at least learn how to wear it properly. If not, what's the point?

But yes, definitely agree that everyone has to participate.
st3 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Once again, discussing the effectiveness of mask if a subject for other thread / forums. Given the half dozen previous requests, future discussion will be deleted without warning.

We discuss UA here, effectiveness of masks are discussed elsewhere, such as
Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]
Safety on a plane [merged thread]
safety throughout the airport system
Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

No shortage of opportunities elesewhere
Just to be clear, mask effectiveness discussion are off-topic to the UA forum (and other airline forums).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:33 pm

I’m a Plat on ORD-BRU on 06 Sep 2020 & get a “sorry, something went wrong. Please try again” all day long when trying to move my e+ seat to another e+ seat in a wide open cabin on a 787-10. What might be going on - Covid restriction imposed by UA - call it in?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I’m a Plat on ORD-BRU on 06 Sep 2020 & get a “sorry, something went wrong. Please try again” all day long when trying to move my e+ seat to another e+ seat in a wide open cabin on a 787-10. What might be going on - Covid restriction imposed by UA - call it in?
Maybe something out of sync with reservation?

Originally Posted by fumje
I can't tell for certain what they're doing, but I think this is only happening once the flight is booked over 70% capacity (or whatever the exact threshold is).

The seat map won't tell you what the actual load is, so seeing empty aisle/window doesn't mean they won't need the middles.
It appears, as others suggested, they have removed the middle-seat blocking now, and it just took some time to get to all the flights on the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.