Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old May 1, 2020, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by susiesan
What will happen if pax wear the masks while boarding and then after the plane takes off they remove the mask to drink and eat? Or if someone just takes it off and claims they can't breathe. What will anyone do about that?
Likely nothing. Until it becomes a legal requirement there is nothing UA could do and even then there is nothing reasonable that can be done in flight. Nothing is going to happen. Might get snide remarks from other passengers.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:50 pm

I have flights booked for July and August, seatmap changed to eliminate booking the middle seat. What are the chances United will continue social distancing for then? Or they'll allow middle seat booking at a later date?
Old May 1, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I have 2 CR2 flights in July. The C seats are all blocked. Except for 1A, no seats on the AB side are blocked.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Continental
Here is my flight from SFO-EWR on 2 Jun. Downsized from 777-200 to 738.
I was put in 1A
Below are seatmaps from UA site an Expertflyer

The flight shows J2, are there actually more seats open?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockey7711
The flight shows J2, are there actually more seats open?
The actual assigned seats probably match the ExpertFlyer map, but there are likely people without seat assignments.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I honestly find them comfortable but do experience fogging issues when using a face shield or safety goggles.
This could mean the seal isn’t good i.e. poor fit - which I guess shouldn’t matter if you are using it on a flight or in public. (For your job I presume you were fit tested).
Old May 4, 2020, 3:18 pm

UA social distancing passengers; blocking middle seats (supposedly)

Per the information on the hub.united.com, UA should not currently be allowing passengers to "select" middle seats on flights through the end of May.

https://hub.united.com/united-corona...645397564.html

However, I've seen flights go out nearly full, even today. By looking at the Standby list, I can see there are passengers assigned to middle seats and they aren't just blocked. It appears they aren't denying boarding to anyone willing to take those middle seats. Does anyone happen to have any information on how or if this is being enforced? Curious more than anything else.

For example, you can look at UA2334 | PHX -> ORD | 5/4

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2020 at 5:05 pm Reason: moved to exiiting thread
Old May 4, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NRoften
Per the information on the hub.united.com, UA should not currently be allowing passengers to "select" middle seats on flights through the end of May.

https://hub.united.com/united-corona...645397564.html

However, I've seen flights go out nearly full, even today. By looking at the Standby list, I can see there are passengers assigned to middle seats and they aren't just blocked. It appears they aren't denying boarding to anyone willing to take those middle seats. Does anyone happen to have any information on how or if this is being enforced? Curious more than anything else.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ing-masks.html

It's not being enforced. They will happily sell those seats if they can. It's mostly for show -- people don't habitually select middle seats anyway, if they have a choice.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:24 pm

Thank you, missed that thread.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NRoften
Per the information on the hub.united.com, UA should not currently be allowing passengers to "select" middle seats on flights through the end of May. ....
Believe UA is preventing the pre-assignments of middle seats to encouraging social distancing but will allow purchases that then will require at the gate the use of middles. Yes, a bit saying one thing but doing the other of needed.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Did anyone travel today? I'm curious how they handled the mask requirement. If you had your own did they just wave you on? Did they hand them out in a sealed package? Loose from a gloved employee? Thrown loose in the snack basket and passed through the cabin?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Did anyone travel today? I'm curious how they handled the mask requirement. If you had your own did they just wave you on? Did they hand them out in a sealed package? Loose from a gloved employee? Thrown loose in the snack basket and passed through the cabin?
I just posted in the other thread about inflight service https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32350077-post254.html
Regarding your question about masks, the GA made the announcement about the mask requirement and to notify them if they do not have a mask. The wording was something like "If you do not have a mask, please inform us and we will arrange to have someone get you a mask". It sounded like they did not have masks just sitting around and they'd have to call someone. I did not see anyone that needed to get one. On my outgoing flight (prior to the requirement), I noticed the FA offering masks. They were loose in a plastic bag and the employee was wearing gloves. On my return flight (yesterday), upon landing, the FA made an announcement that some airports require masks now and that they will not have masks for you but you can use a garment to cover your face. Strange announcement since everyone on the plane should already have a mask. They also still have the announcement about holding a tissue in front of your face or using your arm if you have to cough or sneeze.

As I noted in the other thread, about half the people removed their mask during flight. I noticed many people in the airport without masks. Nearly all pilots I've seen do not have masks on.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Generally there is a bag of surgical-type masks being stocked in the flight kits for attendants to give to any passengers without a mask, and gate agents are working to make sure everyone has a mask before boarding. As with everything UA, there isn't going to be a high level of consistency in the execution, and it will take some time for everyone to figure it out, but I do think they are mostly taking it seriously.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Generally there is a bag of surgical-type masks being stocked in the flight kits for attendants to give to any passengers without a mask, and gate agents are working to make sure everyone has a mask before boarding. As with everything UA, there isn't going to be a high level of consistency in the execution, and it will take some time for everyone to figure it out, but I do think they are mostly taking it seriously.
Thank you!
Old May 5, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not being enforced. They will happily sell those seats if they can. It's mostly for show -- people don't habitually select middle seats anyway, if they have a choice.
At least UA isn't charging a fee for a passenger to sit next to an empty middle seat like Frontier:

Frontier Airlines passengers can now reserve a ‘More Room’ seat assignment – with a confirmed empty middle seat next to them. The option complements the airline’s mandatory face covering requirement for all passengers and flight crews, along with a wide variety of other initiatives aimed at achieving the highest levels of passenger well-being and comfort when flying Frontier. Passengers can select a More Room seat – starting at $39 per passenger, per flight -- on Frontier’s website, FlyFrontier.com, when booking new tickets, managing their booking, or at check-in, subject to availability.
https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontie...y-middle-seat/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.