Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Starting Sunday (May 10) the late EWR to LAX has been swapped to a 787-8. UA changed the May 10th flight Thursday right after I grabbed a seat. What a pleasant surprise!
Great for a true J-class experience, if one has to connect EWR inbound TATL
Old May 11, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I decided to use 20 plus points to upgrade BOS-SFO on an A320. I’m pleased with that decision despite it being very different from a normal premium transcon flight.

All of the concessions in Boston were closed. No PDB, but water bottle placed at my seat. No amenity kits, hot towel, warm nuts, or printed menus. As noted above, beer and wine only. No glassware. Meal was typical domestic first (served normally – no wrappers as was mentioned by other posters). Warm cookie prior to arrival. Was able to access the United club with BP on arrival.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2020 at 10:19 am Reason: split post
Old May 11, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWRSNA
I decided to use 20 plus points to upgrade BOS-SFO on an A320. I’m pleased with that decision despite it being very different from a normal premium transcon flight.

All of the concessions in Boston were closed. No PDB, but water bottle placed at my seat. No amenity kits, hot towel, warm nuts, or printed menus. As noted above, beer and wine only. No glassware. Meal was typical domestic first (served normally – no wrappers as was mentioned by other posters). Warm cookie prior to arrival. Was able to access the United club with BP on arrival.
for the detailed feedback. Did you get to take a look at the wine selection? Domestic Y variety?
What's the drink/snack spread at UC these days?
Old May 11, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA
We had flatbed purchased in February for June travel IAD to SFO and HNL to IAD, with the annoying 737 link SFO to KOA. 4 days layover in SFO.
This weekend they finally rescheduled us, not just the Hawaii segment as expected but no more nonstops at all. Thru Chicago to SFO, via SFO to IAD., All segments were more than 6 hours delayed and on smaller planes. We are getting a refund, glad to get it.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
763 now loaded to operate UA1871/UA1165 EWR-LAX-EWR daily starting June 4th. I believe this will be EWR's only scheduled 767 service for June.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 12, 2020, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not that the flatbeds have been removed, it is simply that the aircraft have been grounded and smaller aircraft have been subbed in. The -800 doesn't have flatbeds but has the reduced capacity to support the route.

Based on the investor advice given by all three legacy carriers yesterday about a "tough fall," it would not surprise me to see the smaller aircraft stay in place. It's unfortunate, but many are predicting 18-24 months before consumer demand returns.
Now is not the time to be removing flatbeds, especially when the competition (DL, AA, B6) still have flatbeds on their Tcon's. Not a big deal for most people to pick between EWR and JFK.
Old May 12, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA filed some schedule changes over the weekend that bring more widebodies and flat beds to the premium transcons going forward. This is reflective of the dynamic, week-to-week changes of the schedule as demand appears to be creeping back (but still off by more than 90%). United is mostly operating on an EQV schedule within a given fleet type, so routes scheduled as certain equipment can be and often are swapped to different models of the same type.

In June, EWR-LAX-EWR is 3x, with morning 787-10, midday 737-800 and evening/redeye 767-300ER. That's currently scheduled as 76C, 30-seat J, which will show as the Diamond seat but actual configuration depends on which specific airframes are returned to service from temporary storage.

IAD-LAX gets a 767-300ER (76C, same deal) for the single daily flight, a morning eastbound and evening westbound.

EWR-SFO is still showing 2x 738 and 1x 787-10. I also see a 787-8 for ORD-SFO.
wxguy and EWRSNA like this.

Last edited by EWR764; May 12, 2020 at 7:46 am
Old May 12, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
for the detailed feedback. Did you get to take a look at the wine selection? Domestic Y variety?
What's the drink/snack spread at UC these days?
I didn’t see the red, but the white was “Camelot Chardonnay” served in a plastic 187ml bottle. Not premium by any measure, but really wasn’t bad.

UC felt normal other than the occupancy (I counted 6 customers), masks and hours (bar closed at 5pm and club at 5:30pm). The full bar was open – enjoyed glass of stag’s leap – and they had ~10 varieties of packaged snacks available (cheez its, oreos, cheese sticks, yogurt, etc.).
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
767-300 also going from ord-iah.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
This is fine for the traveller that flies Y. I routinely do NYC - LA ( my last flight was last month) on AA, my fight was so empty it felt like my own personal jet. Was the only pax in business. F was full of non revs. I pay for business fares.

UA has some nerve charging the same as 787-10 for the 737 route, EWR-LAX in Business, it does not meet what they describe on the ps page ( does it even exist anymore). No flat bed and not exactly the most comfortable seat.

The 737 transcons remind me of the CO days….

I have fond memories of the ps JFK days and Larry Kellner, but you can't charge and expect people to pay business class fare for that 737. Some nerve….

What UA should do is be honest, and call the front section of the 737 transcons Premium Plus because thats what it is. And charge accordingly, Basically don't sell UA business on the 737 because you can't offer the product….

Last edited by OpenSky; May 13, 2020 at 12:12 am
Old May 13, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
I love how the pricing for Premium Economy is more than Business on the 781 flight:

Old May 13, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by OpenSky
...What UA should do is be honest, and call the front section of the 737 transcons Premium Plus because thats what it is. And charge accordingly, Basically don't sell UA business on the 737 because you can't offer the product….
You’re confusing multiple things here. UA routinely sells ‘Business’ tickets in 737s, mainly to international (Latin/South America, Canada, etc) pre-Covid and is basically domestic F service. The ‘Business’ designation allows for lounge access. UA’s EWR- SFO/LAX and SFO-BOS are marketed (pre-Covid) as Premium Transcontinental with a ‘Business’ label on the ticket. I don’t believe they are marketing it as Premium Transcon currently. The business designation does convey lounge access and same service as domestic F routes.

Calling it Premium Plus would actually lead to a lot of confusion. Purchasing or access to PP (in itself) does not provide lounge access and most people know there’s a difference between the seats.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You’re confusing multiple things here. UA routinely sells ‘Business’ tickets in 737s, mainly to international (Latin/South America, Canada, etc) pre-Covid and is basically domestic F service. The ‘Business’ designation allows for lounge access. UA’s EWR- SFO/LAX and SFO-BOS are marketed (pre-Covid) as Premium Transcontinental with a ‘Business’ label on the ticket. I don’t believe they are marketing it as Premium Transcon currently. The business designation does convey lounge access and same service as domestic F routes.

Calling it Premium Plus would actually lead to a lot of confusion. Purchasing or access to PP (in itself) does not provide lounge access and most people know there’s a difference between the seats.
If united switched the name now I think a thanos snap would occur.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Its fraud. UA thinks they can get away with this because Alaska is the only competition on the EWR-LAX/SFO routes, and they have the ex VX seats. If there is an argument that UA is TOO BIG at the EWR this is probably it.

For the same amount of money, often less - the flat bed seats can be had by going to JFK. Well I'm voting with my money and encourage others to do the same. Enough with the farce. ps service is poor service at premium prices.

The transcontinental routes never had service levels at the Domestic F level, and I personally won't pay for it when I can get the real thing across the river.

Last edited by OpenSky; May 13, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old May 13, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Its fraud. UA thinks they can get away with this because Alaska is the only competition on the EWR-LAX/SFO routes, and they have the ex VX seats. If there is an argument that UA is TOO BIG at the EWR this is probably it.

For the same amount of money, often less - the flat bed seats can be had by going to JFK. Well I'm voting with my money and encourage others to do the same. Enough with the farce. ps service is poor service at premium prices.

The transcontinental routes never had service levels at the Domestic F level, and I personally won't pay for it when I can get the real thing across the river.
Flat beds will come back (in greater numbers... because they are already back) as premium demand returns... it hasn't yet.

The rest of your gripe rings pretty hollow in the current environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.