Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Already loaded and for sale.

As of May, not just PMUA, but every 757... and 767... and A320... and 737-700...
i don't think it's every 737-700. They are operating with this A/C CLE-EWR on May 27 (at least that's what my reservation claims).
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not that the flatbeds have been removed, it is simply that the aircraft have been grounded and smaller aircraft have been subbed in. The -800 doesn't have flatbeds but has the reduced capacity to support the route.

Based on the investor advice given by all three legacy carriers yesterday about a "tough fall," it would not surprise me to see the smaller aircraft stay in place. It's unfortunate, but many are predicting 18-24 months before consumer demand returns.
Yep, most leisure travelers probably will wait until a vaccine or viable treatment is available before they start flying, especially to international destinations.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mama
Yep, most leisure travelers probably will wait until a vaccine or viable treatment is available before they start flying, especially to international destinations.
Leisure travelers are the tail wagging the dog.

Many businesses have been hard hit financially and simply will not be able to afford significant travel, there will likely be a drop in the use of travelling contractors, and those who adapt to remote comms, e.g. video, may move many of their meetings and other interactions to video.

Even if video is sub-optimal, the relative ROI for a one-hour meeting taking one hour vs. 2 days of productive time, can be a tough call.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
i don't think it's every 737-700. They are operating with this A/C CLE-EWR on May 27 (at least that's what my reservation claims).
Any aircraft designation for a flight more than a week from now isn't meaningful.

There are a handful still flying around, but it won't be long.
rmadisonwi, wrp96 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
There is some variance between internal aircraft assignments and what's been filed with the public for sale. I would expect things to change over the weekend with the schedule update. Internally, UA is showing 738 for the EWR-CLE service.

Things will continue to evolve, but I am not expecting to see great changes.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:28 am

There is some variance between internal aircraft assignments and what's been filed with the public for sale. I would expect things to change over the weekend with the schedule update. Internally, UA is showing 738 for the EWR-CLE service.

Things will continue to evolve, but I am not expecting to see great changes.
What do you see from your end for UA 674 (CLE-EWR) on May 27?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
A return to the Smisek days of "No Plane is Too Small"!

Next month: prepare to meet your new transcon overload, the CRJ550. Fuel stops in Bangor, ME will be added for SFO/LAX - EWR/BOS flights, purely for nostalgia sake.
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
...Next month: prepare to meet your new transcon overload, the CRJ550...
Kidding aside, I would do a transcon on a CRJ550 in 4A over a 73x. Plenty of elbow room and even a snack pantry (which will probably have its own version of "curbside pickup"). By then, I imagine meals on the 73x would be pre-packaged anyway.
jasonp622 likes this.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Apr 22, 2020 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:43 am

What do you see from your end for UA 674 (CLE-EWR) on May 27?
I am seeing a 737-800 on UA674, for now. The 5/27 schedule is mostly theoretical, but as we get closer (within a week or two) things like aircraft assignment will firm up.

UA is also planning to rotate aircraft in and out of short-term storage, so we might see some reactivation of previously-stored airframes, to be replaced by others, as the stand-down continues.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:32 pm

It made no sense than United was still sending out 787s every day. Heres the load yesterday between LAX and EWR

Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:55 pm

I am seeing a 737-800 on UA674, for now. The 5/27 schedule is mostly theoretical, but as we get closer (within a week or two) things like aircraft assignment will firm up.

UA is also planning to rotate aircraft in and out of short-term storage, so we might see some reactivation of previously-stored airframes, to be replaced by others, as the stand-down continues.
Thanks for checking. Perhaps they are keeping the smaller aircraft in the booking system to make sure they don't oversell in case they end up switching from a -800 to a -700.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not quite sure why one would criticize UA -- or any carrier -- for downsizing aircraft and cutting frequencies. The demand isn't there.

If you want a 787 on the route, just guarantee the revenue to UA and I am sure that it will accommodate.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
It made no sense than United was still sending out 787s every day. Heres the load yesterday between LAX and EWR

781s - sure. But taking down premium transcon completely? 752 - 738 is not that huge of a difference. Sigh, I guess they had to do this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
781s - sure. But taking down premium transcon completely? 752 - 738 is not that huge of a difference. Sigh, I guess they had to do this.
Fixed costs of a 757 versus a 737 on the same mission can be as much as 30% higher, and UA is parking the fleet for now. Premium demand (business) is flat-out nonexistent. No need to offer a high-end product right now.
tuolumne and rmadisonwi like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:32 am

flat-out nonexistent.
EWR764, was your pun intended? Very clever considering the nonexistence of flat beds. Stay well!
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.