Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original flight looks like its dead, will UA reroute me to a different airport via *A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original flight looks like its dead, will UA reroute me to a different airport via *A

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Flying on 3rd May, the original flight was PHX-EWR-MAN on UA, with a 4 hr layover in EWR. The itinerary was then amended with a 28hr layover in EWR. Then the EWR -MAN leg was dropped and is currently only showing PHX-DEN-EWR (no direct flights PHX-EWR). There doesn't seem to be any "sensible" itinerary available to be booked on the United website for PHX-MAN for a 3rd May departure - 40-47hrs with 3 changes.
There are sensible alternatives available if the arrival airport is changed to LHR instead of MAN (PHX-ORD-YYZ-LHR 17 and a bit hours) and using *A codeshare flights.

The ticket is a one way, basic economy ticket.

How receptive would UA be to rerouting to LHR, rather than MAN.

The flight is for a an octogenerian repatriating to the UK and he's looking for me to help him. The more straightforward the better and avoiding EWR would be ideal.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
UA will look first to get pax rerouted on its own metal, so I suspect if he is happy getting to LHR (which UA still serves, currently, from EWR), that's what you should ask for. They may throw in a domestic connection to MAN, but don't count on it. Travel insurance should pick up a train ticket or similar.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
UA will look first to get pax rerouted on its own metal, so I suspect if he is happy getting to LHR (which UA still serves, currently, from EWR), that's what you should ask for. They may throw in a domestic connection to MAN, but don't count on it. Travel insurance should pick up a train ticket or similar.
Cheers - if you think that they'll be receptive to the suggestion of rerouting to a different airport, I'll give it a go. Via YYZ would work better than via EWR, but if it ended up as being via EWR then its still a LOT better than taking 40-47 hours. I'd never considered asking for a domestic connecting flight, thank you. I can ask and see what they say. If not, I'll collect him from LHR rather than use the train.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mint Cake
Cheers - if you think that they'll be receptive to the suggestion of rerouting to a different airport, I'll give it a go. Via YYZ would work better than via EWR, but if it ended up as being via EWR then its still a LOT better than taking 40-47 hours. I'd never considered asking for a domestic connecting flight, thank you. I can ask and see what they say. If not, I'll collect him from LHR rather than use the train.
Via YYZ means AC, which they will resist. UA is usually quite flexible in rebooking on their own metal, so I would find an itinerary that suits and have that as a backup in case via YYZ is denied (as I expect).
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
With these types of changes, even with Basic Economy, UA should issue a refund. My point: the question is not about *A but most logical route across any carrier or alliance with a freshly purchased ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
With these types of changes, even with Basic Economy, UA should issue a refund. My point: the question is not about *A but most logical route across any carrier or alliance with a freshly purchased ticket.
But OP's friend does not want a refund, he wants to travel back to the UK.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM
I would avoid a third country routing if at all possible. If you get to YYZ and your ongoing flight is canceled, you *could* be faced with a 14-day quarantine as an international arrival.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would start by asking for -EWR-LHR-MAN, and accept truncation to LHR if that's what's needed.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can the departure from PHX be delayed until May 4th? There's currently an ORD-LHR flight on that day (UA931) and a non-stop PHX-ORD flight (UA2334) which can connect to it. I suspect UA would have no problem moving flights to a day later.
Mint Cake likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
Originally Posted by LondonElite
But OP's friend does not want a refund, he wants to travel back to the UK.
Correct, this is a a repatriation flight for someone who has been in the US for a lot of years.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I would avoid a third country routing if at all possible. If you get to YYZ and your ongoing flight is canceled, you *could* be faced with a 14-day quarantine as an international arrival.
I'd never ever considered that - thank you

Originally Posted by findark
I would start by asking for -EWR-LHR-MAN, and accept truncation to LHR if that's what's needed.
via EWR seems to be the way to go (or it suits United better !), so I'll follow your suggestion

Originally Posted by xliioper
Can the departure from PHX be delayed until May 4th? There's currently an ORD-LHR flight on that day (UA931) and a non-stop PHX-ORD flight (UA2334) which can connect to it. I suspect UA would have no problem moving flights to a day later.
If It was me, rather than doing it on behalf of an 80+ year old, your option would be fine, but its not quite as easy when I'm doing it for someone else and I'm several thousand miles away. I think that he has made his arrangements that 3rd May is his final day in the US and I'm not sure how flexible/willing he would be to change them.

I've also discovered a routing on the UA website that would involve taking 2 Aer Lingus flights and ending up in MAN, but I imagine that UA wouldn't be interested in that option.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Aside from the previous thoughts on UA maybe not willing to rebook on AC, complications in case of a cancelation and quarantine needed, not to mention wanting to deal with AC (I grew up in Canada, and try to avoid when possible), note that Canada, beginning today, is requiring travelers to travel with a mask (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5536702). I think it only is required to be worn through security, though potentially customs as well, whenever one cannot socially distance, as well as per any crew member instructions to do so. Crews, presumably GAs, are required to ensure every traveller on a flight to Canada has a mask with them at boarding, though at that point in the process, it doesn’t appear it needs to be on. Of course, can not guarantee that will still be required on travel date, though it only being a couple of weeks away, I would presume so. So that adds another complication.

honestly, I’d stay with UA over AC in general, even without the added complications of a different carrier and third country transit at this point. Just not worth it.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also discovered a routing on the UA website that would involve taking 2 Aer Lingus flights and ending up in MAN, but I imagine that UA wouldn't be interested in that option.
It's worth asking about. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Explain the situation and you may get a sympathetic agent.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe

honestly, I’d stay with UA over AC in general, even without the added complications of a different carrier and third country transit at this point. Just not worth it.
Our original plan was to stay away from New York/ New Jersey if at all possible, rather than any pros/cons of sticking with UA. If the EWR option is what UA go for, then we'll go with it.

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's worth asking about. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Explain the situation and you may get a sympathetic agent.
If you reckon its worth a try, we'll give it a go. If it was acceptable to UA, it would be the best possible option, by a long way.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Our original plan was to stay away from New York/ New Jersey if at all possible, rather than any pros/cons of sticking with UA. If the EWR option is what UA go for, then we'll go with it.

If you reckon its worth a try, we'll give it a go. If it was acceptable to UA, it would be the best possible option, by a long way.
I would suggest to this person that leaving just one day later could solve some of this (connecting at ORD instead of EWR).
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Maybe a naive question, the ticket was bought from an online ticketing agent - will I have to go via them, or will United deal with me directly ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.