Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United / Ansett Australia Circle Pacific Fare Brochure circa mid-1990s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United / Ansett Australia Circle Pacific Fare Brochure circa mid-1990s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
... Can't find info on the fare desk #:
Those specialized fare desks were long discontinued.
Such as UA's RTW / *A desk to close [reportedly early/mid Feb 2015]?
kevflyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by UAL757222
Stephen Wolf was a guy who LOVED grey. He also felt the color scheme was more formal and better suited internationally. I did not like the battleship livery at the time. It was such a dark scheme compared to the one it replaced.

In the sea of Euro-white, I’ve come to appreciate it. I love the branding that came along with it, many of it using the blue stripes from the tail as the theme.This motif was actually introduced around 1990 or so when CKS Group designed some printed materials for UAL and it was loved so much they said to put in the next livery. I have a few items from that time that have the Saul Bass font.
When the battleship gray was first introduced, it did take awhile to get use to it. It did grow on me.
I was flying a lot of international flights in the middle of 90s just before UA started flying the 777s. UA operated at one time 48 747s (100s, 200s, SPs, and 400s), and those 747s in battleship gray stood out in LHR, HKG, NRT and some of major airports around the world. You don't need to look out for UA planes, the presence of that dark looking jumbo would find your eyesight.

I don't think the battleship gray look good on the narrow bodies and UX jets, but the 747s in battleship gray were quite a sight, especially at NRT in the middle of the afternoon. I remember looking at about a dozen UA 747s in battleship gray at one time that stood out amongst the white JAL, NH and other airliners at NRT. As a child growing up near Air Force field and watching all those WWII air battle movies, the views of a dozen battleship gray jumbos did have an impact on me.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 19, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I don't think the battleship gray look good on the narrow bodies and UX jets, but the 747s in battleship gray were quite a sight, especially at NRT in the middle of the afternoon. I remember looking at about a dozen UA 747s in battleship gray at one time that stood out amongst the white JAL, NH and other airliners at NRT. As a child growing up near Air Force field and watching all those WWII air battle movies, the views of a dozen battleship gray jumbos did have an impact on me.
That's exactly how I felt since many planes at the old HKG in the 90s were 747s. Can't miss that dark UA 747.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by uanj
Really great find! The map also shows the short-lived Osaka-Guam and Saipan service, so this would have been late 1994 or early 1995. An announcement of those routes and the LAX-Osaka route, also long gone. Also on this map you can see the HKG-DEL route, part of UA's own RTW flight.
The map also seems to show GMP-MNL, which is a service I never knew UA flew.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by acregal
The map also seems to show GMP-MNL, which is a service I never knew UA flew.
It is SEL-MNL, back then there was no ICN, just like KIX never existed but OSA instead (ITM). SEL-MNL was a PA 5th freedom route, PA had a mini hub in SEL, if i remembered there was SEL-HKG as well.

The whole routing was UA 807/808 SFO-SEL-MNL, originally was using L1011-500, later switched to 747
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2020 at 8:15 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
And, IMO, horrible livery on the UA 744. I always hated those dark colors. I think that came during Stephen Wolf's time at UA, no? And I think he did more or less the same thing at US Air.
as we used to say “the first thing Steve did was repaint the planes”

the US livery he painted was basically the reverse order of the blue and gray from UA

Originally Posted by kevflyer
That's exactly how I felt since many planes at the old HKG in the 90s were 747s. Can't miss that dark UA 747.
​​​​​​​I have the same sense now watching at HKG except now it seems every plane is a 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.