Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next TPAC, When and where?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
But we cannot leave. There is a prohibition on Australians leaving the country.
I wonder how countries handle dual, triple, or quadruple citizenship?
Fly around using whatever passport gets one into the country, and leave with whatever passport gets you out again!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
To my dismay, Singapore just announced extending its circuit breaker (lockdown) period to June 1st. It is unlikely its border will open before June 30.

Cross Singapore off for now. Likely won’t happen until August at the earliest.
And I just heard on the news that Germany has cancelled Oktoberfest. That now takes leisure travel for UA to Germany into October.

Will the Christmas markets be next
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by radonc1
And I just heard on the news that Germany has cancelled Oktoberfest. That now takes leisure travel for UA to Germany into October.

I actually have a trip in Europe in December and making a stop to one of the Xmas markets is still on my list. My trip also include Spain for a week, but now who knows....

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 21, 2020 at 6:51 am
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by radonc1

Yeah. Not surprising, but big bummer. It has become an annual trip for me...

Oktoberfest 2020 cancelled!
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
PRC residency is very hard to get. Do you have permanent residency there?

My guess is August for PRC to open doors, but if any admission of US citizens requires 14 day quarantine, then it defeats purpose for many people e.g. tourists.

I would never fly to China if they put me in a crappy hotel for quarantine by force.
i did one night in the govt quarantine before they released me to do 14 days home quarantine. it was not glamorous but it was survivable. it was a holiday inn express that converted. we were given a bowl of instant noodles, crackers, 2 bottles of water and a kettle. and there was wifi. shower but no towel. it was fine for one night before i moved into my new apartment. i wouldn't do it for 14 days but it was just fine for a short time.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If EVA has I space on that date, available for partner booking, can certainly put them on it. They should waive the mileage difference, although it wouldn't entirely surprise me if a phone representative tried to charge it. Try saying "it was an involuntary change," and if that doesn't work, hang up and call again. That said, I only see I1 on that flight, so that may not work for everyone.
thanks. There is something wrong with Eva availability. At first I thought it was United showing phantom awards. Couldn’t even book new award tickets online whether it’s economy or business. Errors out all dates in May after payment submit button. So I called. The phone agent said they see I and X space throughout May (mostly X) but can’t book it. Needless to say my family’s cancelled flight cannot be booked into them as well. Told to wait a few days to see if the system catches up. Offered flights through Narita but declined. Tickets kept open.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by deskover54
i did one night in the govt quarantine before they released me to do 14 days home quarantine. it was not glamorous but it was survivable. it was a holiday inn express that converted. we were given a bowl of instant noodles, crackers, 2 bottles of water and a kettle. and there was wifi. shower but no towel. it was fine for one night before i moved into my new apartment. i wouldn't do it for 14 days but it was just fine for a short time.
I think the policy now is that anyone regardless of citizenship entering China MUST be forcibly quarantined at government designated hotel etc.

Can't go home or select own hotel.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
thanks. There is something wrong with Eva availability. At first I thought it was United showing phantom awards. Couldn’t even book new award tickets online whether it’s economy or business. Errors out all dates in May after payment submit button. So I called. The phone agent said they see I and X space throughout May (mostly X) but can’t book it. Needless to say my family’s cancelled flight cannot be booked into them as well. Told to wait a few days to see if the system catches up. Offered flights through Narita but declined. Tickets kept open.
figured out why it was not ticketing. EVA cancelled the daily flights from TPE to SFO except for one flight on Tuesdays in May. Nothing out of Taipei award wise unless something changes in border control. Earliest out is June 1st as of right now unless one wants to connect in Narita. Even with Narita is slim pickings. UA is scheduled to restart TPE service June 6th.

Side note, does UA have cargo only planes to Taipei or do they run actual passenger planes but only with cargo per the cargo map upthread?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Side note, does UA have cargo only planes to Taipei or do they run actual passenger planes but only with cargo per the cargo map upthread?
UA does not have any freighters in their fleet. The flights mentioned upthread are on passenger planes.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
figured out why it was not ticketing. EVA cancelled the daily flights from TPE to SFO except for one flight on Tuesdays in May. Nothing out of Taipei award wise unless something changes in border control. Earliest out is June 1st as of right now unless one wants to connect in Narita. Even with Narita is slim pickings. UA is scheduled to restart TPE service June 6th.

My wife is currently scheduled on the UA TPE-SFO a within a week after June 6. Based on UA's recent announcement about June capacity cuts, we seriously wonder if they will actually restart 871/872 on June 6, or if they just haven't updated the June schedule yet. It seems likely they may not run 871/872 at all in June. But we hope they do.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
But we cannot leave. There is a prohibition on Australians leaving the country.

I am looking at a trip to see my parents in July and know I will get a 14 day hotel stay courtesy of the Australian government but was then planning on staying for a further two weeks. I then looked at Smartraveller.gov.au (Government website) to find out you cannot leave. Bit like Hotel CA.

Should add it looks likely this will be the rule for at least six months.
It is possible (https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia). Permanent residents of another country are exempt from the travel ban leaving Australia.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just starting to look at TPAC travel options this fall, which is the earliest I think that International travel might be practical. Not finding any PZ space on initial searches, which surprises me a bit. I have seen quite a bit of PZ space on TATL flights. Obviously anecdotal, but are others seeing similar?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just starting to look at TPAC travel options this fall, which is the earliest I think that International travel might be practical. Not finding any PZ space on initial searches, which surprises me a bit. I have seen quite a bit of PZ space on TATL flights. Obviously anecdotal, but are others seeing similar?
My experience is the same, and it's frustrating. They haven't even opened up Skip the Waitlist like they said they intended to do -- but I wouldn't use StW anyway given that the points are forfeit if I have to make a change.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
My experience is the same, and it's frustrating. They haven't even opened up Skip the Waitlist like they said they intended to do -- but I wouldn't use StW anyway given that the points are forfeit if I have to make a change.
Few weeks ago, I saw wide-spread availability of upgrades and saver biz awards to Asia this fall.

Now it's all gone. Very hard to find IN, PZ or even PN!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by kb1992
Few weeks ago, I saw wide-spread availability of upgrades and saver biz awards to Asia this fall.

Now it's all gone. Very hard to find IN, PZ or even PN!
UA probably realizes that international travel is going to be highly constrained probably until the end of the year.

With that, there is no sense in offering award seats when there may be few revenue seats to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.