Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next TPAC, When and where?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm trying to reach 3MM status with UA as well as 1K for this year and I need the spend. The fare LAX-HKG is quite good. Plus I miss long haul TPAC flying, and I got the 7X bonus offer. Just seems like a good time to do it.

Yikes, well that would not be cool if all I'm trying to do is stay in the airport for 15 hours then leave. Thank you.

We all make our own risk/reward calculations regarding covid. To me the risk of being on a very empty flight, while wearing a mask, is quite low. Plus I suspect that I've already had it and am a younger healthy person with no risk factors, so I would go. Others might decide differently and that's great too.

Status run 3mm for lifetime 1k if you are close to achieving is worth effort in my mind (I crossed 4mm last Dec with quite a few LAX-HKG, LAX-SIN, LAX-PVG, and EWR/YYZ-SIN flights), but please try to maximize Covid-19 safety precautions to enjoy your hard earned status. I would even encourage people to get N95 or FDA-approved KN95 mask to go one level higher than surgery masks, if you are going to be mixed with people in relatively full transpacific flights at airports and on planes.

I would too! I considered that as well, but the fare wasn't quite the same bang for the buck. However, if I knew that it would work I would proceed. Just no idea if it would.
After reading the press release issued by the US Hong Kong consulate, it seems impossible to do this: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0072200750.htm. This goes into effect for US citizens as of July 29th:

"According to the latest specification, a traveller who, on the day on which the traveller boarded a civil aviation aircraft that arrives at, or is about to arrive at Hong Kong (specified aircraft), or during the 14 days before that day, has stayed in one of the aforementioned specified places must provide the following documents:

(1) a letter or certificate in English or Chinese issued by a laboratory or healthcare institution bearing the name and identity card or passport number of the relevant traveller to show that:
(a) the relevant traveller underwent a nucleic acid test for COVID-19 the sample for which was taken from the relevant traveller within 72 hours before the scheduled time of departure of the specified aircraft;
(b) the test conducted on the sample is a nucleic acid test for COVID-19; and
(c) the result of the test is that the relevant traveller was tested negative for COVID-19; and

(2) the original of the report for the test issued by the laboratory or healthcare institution bearing the name and identity card or passport number of the relevant traveller;

(3) a letter in English or Chinese issued by the relevant authority of the government of the place in which the laboratory or healthcare institution is located certifying that the laboratory or healthcare institution is recognised or approved by the government; and

(4) the relevant traveller has confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 14 days starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong.

The operator of the specified aircraft should submit to the Department of Health (DH) before the specified aircraft arrives at Hong Kong a document in a form specified by DH confirming that each relevant traveller has, before being checked-in for the flight to Hong Kong on the aircraft, produced for boarding on the aircraft the above documents."

This 14 day quarantine is non-starter for all passengers except those with critical /urgent need to fly. HKG and SIN and NRT are hurting very bad since they are major transit hubs. This also impact UA transpacific flights and profits. I hope UA can work with respective airports & governments to reduce pain point for people to fly, by adopting Covid-19 testing procedure for passengers upon arrival, and within 7hr receive negative result, allowed to enter city or go on to next transit flight (as long as contact tracing info is maintained) .
(UK propose LHR arriving passengers for Covid-19 test, if they are not from travel corridor with UK, via nearby airport lab able to process ~7hr turnaround, and allow entry if negative result)
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...-covid-testing
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
We all make our own risk/reward calculations regarding covid. To me the risk of being on a very empty flight, while wearing a mask, is quite low. Plus I suspect that I've already had it and am a younger healthy person with no risk factors, so I would go. Others might decide differently and that's great too.
My friends already make fun of me for doing mileage runs when there's not a pandemic, calling such trips useless/a waste of time. If I were to actually get SARS-CoV-2 on one of these trips, I would never hear the end of it (unless it actually kills me). Risk of death is low for me, statistically, although it seems like the risk of long term complications might be many times the risk of death. Ultimately, it comes down to whether I'm willing to risk complications over saving a little bit of money, and for me, the answer is no.

Originally Posted by npei
Status run 3mm for lifetime 1k if you are close to achieving is worth effort in my mind (I crossed 4mm last Dec with quite a few LAX-HKG, LAX-SIN, LAX-PVG, and EWR/YYZ-SIN flights), but please try to maximize Covid-19 safety precautions to enjoy your hard earned status. I would even encourage people to get N95 or FDA-approved KN95 mask to go one level higher than surgery masks, if you are going to be mixed with people in relatively full transpacific flights at airports and on planes.
But wouldn't this be just as do-able after the pandemic is over as it is now? I fail to see what advantage you get from doing this now, since there are no bonuses on lifetime mileage, and if you're like most people, you're probably not flying much right now anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by STS-134
My friends already make fun of me for doing mileage runs when there's not a pandemic, calling such trips useless/a waste of time. If I were to actually get SARS-CoV-2 on one of these trips, I would never hear the end of it (unless it actually kills me). Risk of death is low for me, statistically, although it seems like the risk of long term complications might be many times the risk of death. Ultimately, it comes down to whether I'm willing to risk complications over saving a little bit of money, and for me, the answer is no.

But wouldn't this be just as do-able after the pandemic is over as it is now? I fail to see what advantage you get from doing this now, since there are no bonuses on lifetime mileage, and if you're like most people, you're probably not flying much right now anyway.
Sure, and like I said, everyone has to make their own risk-reward analysis. About your second comment and question, there are some amazing deals right now. They may or may not be available after the pandemic. In addition, because of the pandemic all my work is online, which gives me more flexibility to take trips. So for me at least, the time is now. Again, that may be different for others, and that's fine.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
In addition, because of the pandemic all my work is online, which gives me more flexibility to take trips.
That's a good point. However, from a practical standpoint, in the past, I may have been able to convince my boss that I was actually working from the plane, but what I actually end up doing is fighting to maintain a VPN connection because of the constant momentary WiFi outages and extremely slow speeds. I would hope it's better right now due to much lower passenger volume.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is funny. The reality is there is nowhere a passenger holding only an American passport can fly on UA transpacific that will accept them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2020 at 7:11 pm Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This thread is funny. The reality is there is nowhere a passenger holding only an American passport can fly on UA transpacific that will accept them.
True! But we can dream of better days 🙂
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe not for long. Japan is thinking of opening to some select countries but also Hawaii.😄
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Maybe not for long. Japan is thinking of opening to some select countries but also Hawaii.😄
I suppose that might be useful for Hawaii residents, but others would presumably need to quarantine in Hawaii on their way to Japan.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by moondog
I suppose that might be useful for Hawaii residents, but others would presumably need to quarantine in Hawaii on their way to Japan.
The proposal as l understand it would only be for Hawaii residents based on the low infection rate in the state (although our numbers are climbing). Other state residents would not be eligible even after a 14 day quarantine, which doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
The proposal as l understand it would only be for Hawaii residents based on the low infection rate in the state (although our numbers are climbing). Other state residents would not be eligible even after a 14 day quarantine, which doesn't make sense to me.
Unless Hawaii prohibits all transfers at HNL unless you go through a 14 day quarantine between transfers, then Japan should treat anyone coming from Hawaii as if they're coming from the US Mainland. Of course, Japan could easily make a prohibition of direct transfers a condition of allowing people on flights from Hawaii to bypass quarantine. Although, they'd better also require a PCR test 3 days before departure, a rapid test at departure, a rapid test on arrival, and a PCR test on arrival, at minimum, otherwise they're probably going to have cases slip through the cracks.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Ireland and Turkey are open to American travelers. https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

The border is open between Ireland and Northern Ireland. If one really needs to get to Europe in a hurry, it's possible to fly to Ireland and drive to Belfast, then get a flight to the continent from there.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Ireland and Turkey are open to American travelers. https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

The border is open between Ireland and Northern Ireland. If one really needs to get to Europe in a hurry, it's possible to fly to Ireland and drive to Belfast, then get a flight to the continent from there.
Unfortunately this thread is about transpacific flights. Your deft maneuvering may work via transatlantic to Europe via the Emerald Isle (which I doubt) but there ain’t nowhere Americans are welcome in Asia.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: *bucks Gold
Sure there is: GUM via NRT
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUM_elite
2 weeks quarantine I believe, but you’re right. I should say nowhere outside the US and it’s territories.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUM_elite
I thought "Trans Pacific" implied crossing the Pacific, as opposed to making it 3/4 of the way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.