Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next TPAC, When and where?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I guess this is a welcoming news. A little step helps, but transit to where is the question. Most of the borders are still closed...

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/3lPGreLAFwg85c3Sk0dWBQ
I am actually transiting both HKG and SIN in July (outbound) and August (return) but must admit to some concern about HKG due to the political climate with the recent Beijing initiatives for Hong Kong. I was in HKG at the end of last year and suspect this will be worse and even though I will just be transiting I am concerned flights may get cancelled.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; May 27, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old May 28, 2020, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kmxu
No foreigners can!
That's not entirely true as a blanket statements because some visas have been issued since March 29, and I know one person with PR who has come and gone a few times. That having been, rather than attempt to get a unicorn visa, I'm perfectly fine waiting things out.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
That's not entirely true as a blanket statements because some visas have been issued since March 29, and I know one person with PR who has come and gone a few times. That having been, rather than attempt to get a unicorn visa, I'm perfectly fine waiting things out.
I guess that your PR refers to green card holder. If he/she originally from China, he/she is still a Chinese citizen, not a foreigner. Exempts may include diplomats with non-Chinese passports.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:26 am

I guess that your PR refers to green card holder. If he/she originally from China, he/she is still a Chinese citizen, not a foreigner. Exempts may include diplomats with non-Chinese passports.
She was born in China, but has been a US citizen for more than 25 years, and the PR doesn't change this at all. You don't suddenly become a Chinese citizen when you score a PR.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She was born in China, but has been a US citizen for more than 25 years, and the PR doesn't change this at all. You don't suddenly become a Chinese citizen when you score a PR.
Are you referring to US permanent residency or China permanent residency?
Old May 28, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Are you referring to US permanent residency or China permanent residency?
China permanent residency. I thought that was evident in my post, but upon further thought, I should clarify this point.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
China permanent residency. I thought that was evident in my post, but upon further thought, I should clarify this point.
I got confirmation from a friend, who is China Green Card holder. He is exempted. But he has to take CZ (China Southern) flight to Guangzhou from LAX.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I got confirmation from a friend, who is China Green Card holder. He is exempted. But he has to take CZ (China Southern) flight to Guangzhou from LAX.
14-day mandatory quarantine upon landing for your friend?
Old May 28, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I guess this is a welcoming news. A little step helps, but transit to where is the question. Most of the borders are still closed and getting visa may also be an issue now.
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/3lPGreLAFwg85c3Sk0dWBQ
Yes, good news. I am itching to do some mileage running while planes are empty-ish and fares are low, but it doesn't sound like Changi will be a fun place to hang out for the few hours before I'd return to the United States (assuming that's even allowed, or considered to be a transit flight).

Perhaps Plan A, waiting until November to do my mileage-running, is still the best strategy.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Who’s up for a TPAC? It looks like earliest date is now mid May. I just rescheduled for 19 May (two months delayed) SFO TPE. I’m hoping the third time is the charm.
Our next TPAC will be sometime in late 2021 or early 2022. In my current position, I only fly TATL, and once I retire and there is a COVID vaccine, only then will I be flying SFO-SYD-AKL-SFO - our first retirement-era trip.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Foreigners still cannot enter China, correct?
No foreigners can!

China is easing their entry restrictions for 'some' foreigners:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rn/5258868002/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rus-travel-ban
Old May 29, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Yes, good news. I am itching to do some mileage running while planes are empty-ish and fares are low, but it doesn't sound like Changi will be a fun place to hang out for the few hours before I'd return to the United States (assuming that's even allowed, or considered to be a transit flight).

Perhaps Plan A, waiting until November to do my mileage-running, is still the best strategy.
I am in the same position, and hoping that I can mile run again in September, if not before. I guess we'll see.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
Our next TPAC will be sometime in late 2021 or early 2022. In my current position, I only fly TATL, and once I retire and there is a COVID vaccine, only then will I be flying SFO-SYD-AKL-SFO - our first retirement-era trip.
To each their own! Enjoy retirement! I've tried it twice and hope the next time it sticks.
I expect that my next TPAC (Taiwan) will be before the governors of NY, NJ, or PA release their restrictions.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Thankfully you are looking at 2022 as currently folks in SYD cannot even go to QLD. There is talk of a "travel bubble" between SYD-AKL but currently Australians are barred from international travel, with limited exceptions (and vice versa with a 14 day mandated quarantine at a government approved facility running @$2,500 based on some reports). I am supposed to be walking Camino with friends from SYD next May (was this month but COVID19 happened 😥 ) My friends are concerned that may not be possible in May 2021 to leave Australia unless it is one of the "travel bubbles".

I too am planning a trip SFO-SYD-SFO for December 2021. 🤞
Old May 30, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by narvik

HK has allowed transfer effective June, so does SIN. Thailand will open up in July.

I expect

1) Japan and S. Korea to allow entry in August.
2) US/Europe to lift ban in August to allow students and tourists come in.

China is the wild card. China is so scared of virus, they might continue blocking off the country at the cost of economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.