Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Email - We've Processed Your Cancellation

Old Apr 16, 20, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Only thing, I didn't cancel the flight. Received an email about 30 mins ago, my international flight was canceled. The ticket was purchased at the beginning of the year. Below is the message. Was going to cancel the flight as the trip was canceled, just couldn't decide whether to request ETC, Flight Credit or wait for reimbursement. Not sure what to do. I think I may have Flight Credit. This isn't normal procedure is it for United to cancel without my initiating the process is it?

We've Processed Your Cancellation
Since your travel plans have changed, here's what to do next. Please keep this email receipt and your confirmation number. You may have flight credit — it depends on when you booked and the rules around your ticket. Make sure you see our Important notices page for the latest information on travel flexibility, restrictions, and your ticket, as situations are changing due to coronavirus.

If you have a flight credit, you'll need the confirmation number from this email when you're ready to travel again. Just enter the confirmation number on My Trips. Change fees may apply unless you qualify for a change fee waiver.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by litefoot View Post
Only thing, I didn't cancel the flight. Received an email about 30 mins ago, my international flight was canceled. The ticket was purchased at the beginning of the year. Below is the message. Was going to cancel the flight as the trip was canceled, just couldn't decide whether to request ETC, Flight Credit or wait for reimbursement. Not sure what to do. I think I may have Flight Credit. This isn't normal procedure is it for United to cancel without my initiating the process is it?

We've Processed Your Cancellation
Since your travel plans have changed, here's what to do next. Please keep this email receipt and your confirmation number. You may have flight credit — it depends on when you booked and the rules around your ticket. Make sure you see our Important notices page for the latest information on travel flexibility, restrictions, and your ticket, as situations are changing due to coronavirus.

If you have a flight credit, you'll need the confirmation number from this email when you're ready to travel again. Just enter the confirmation number on My Trips. Change fees may apply unless you qualify for a change fee waiver.
Did you call to discuss your options with an agent? Last time I did that, the agent cancelled my flight after we hung up and I received the "we've processed" email shortly after.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
I’d guess it’s defaulted to credit, but shouldn’t matter. You should be able to request an ETC instead, or a refund since flight itself will cancel - agents don’t seem to be pushing back on that option any longer (even if all aren’t offering the option - you may have to ask), though refunds are slow. Just talked to an agent to find out the status of mine (requested online on March 23, though res. doesn’t seem to be able to see it was made, but could see my second request done over the phone on Apr. 4, by phone). Seems most refunds are taking a long time - agent just told me 3 weeks, though some have reported seeing it back on their cards in 3 or 4 days. Requesting a refund online is another option.

to find out if your flight landed up as credit (most likely), log into United.com, click view/manage reservations under my trips menu, then click the canceled tab. Your itinerary should be under there, with a button to ‘use future flight credit’.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Only thing, I didn't cancel the flight. Received an email about 30 mins ago, my international flight was canceled. The ticket was purchased at the beginning of the year. Below is the message. Was going to cancel the flight as the trip was canceled, just couldn't decide whether to request ETC, Flight Credit or wait for reimbursement. Not sure what to do. I think I may have Flight Credit. This isn't normal procedure is it for United to cancel without my initiating the process is it?...
Had you recently called UA about the flight?
Has UA canceled the flight?
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:46 pm

UA is really screwing things up. I got a bunch of those this morning as well. They are also being super inflexible. For instance, I have a flight booked for May from Hong Kong to Chicago and it got canceled. I wanted to move it to August and they wanted to Add Collect $400 because the waiver only covers travel through end of June. Super annoying.
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

No contact with United at all. I did log in as encampbe suggested and followed instructions. There are two choices under the canceled flight -- Use future flight credit or convert to travel certificate. Didn't go any further as I didn't want to commit without knowing what either meant.

Last edited by litefoot; Apr 16, 20 at 10:28 pm Reason: adding sentence
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
... -- Use future flight credit or convert to travel certificate. Didn't go any further as I didn't want to commit without knowing what either meant.
That's easy -- see Choosing between UA Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) vs Future Flight Credit (FFC) especially the wiki

But first, has UA cancelled the flight itself or just your booking -- if UA cancelled the flight, a full refund back to the original form of payment is an option.
Old Apr 18, 20, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi, It looks like the flight was canceled, tried to book same flight and received 'No flights match your criteria'. Looked at the codeshare in the connection Luthansa and no flights come up.
Old Apr 18, 20, 9:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Call them, Dall them, Call them. Computers can only follow what they are told to do. I called the other day about a question on a flight I canceled and the new rules. Took a minute to get through and 5 minutes to sort it all out, including another flight we had to cancel back December. The agent was great, explained options, offered suggestions and then did what I asked and gave me a time frame to be aware of.
Old Apr 18, 20, 11:53 pm

Hi, It looks like the flight was canceled, tried to book same flight and received 'No flights match your criteria'. Looked at the codeshare in the connection Luthansa and no flights come up.
Those indications may or may not mean the flight is cancelled. You can get the same indications if UA has stopped selling space on the flight, pending a potential cancellation or planning to proposal an alternative..

You need to call and ask if the flight is canceled, if it is you can ask for a refund (if no suitable alternative is provided). If the problem segment is LH operated, then it can take up to a week for UA to properly reflected the LH cancellation.
Old Apr 19, 20, 9:18 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Yes, definitely call. There doesn't seem to be any long wait times lately, so you'll be able to get through very easily.
Old Apr 19, 20, 12:13 pm

Funny, this morning I also had a message from UA in my mail congratulating me that " You've successfully canceled your reservation". Well, I didn't and I didn't plan to either.
I originally paid $ 62.00 in BE for a domestic hop, flight shows as still operating and is open for booking. Caveat is that now the fare is $ 274.00 for BE. Funny company, UA!
Not winning me back this way.
Old Apr 20, 20, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I’d guess it’s defaulted to credit, but shouldn’t matter. You should be able to request an ETC instead, or a refund since flight itself will cancel - agents don’t seem to be pushing back on that option any longer (even if all aren’t offering the option - you may have to ask), though refunds are slow. Just talked to an agent to find out the status of mine (requested online on March 23, though res. doesn’t seem to be able to see it was made, but could see my second request done over the phone on Apr. 4, by phone). Seems most refunds are taking a long time - agent just told me 3 weeks, though some have reported seeing it back on their cards in 3 or 4 days. Requesting a refund online is another option.

to find out if your flight landed up as credit (most likely), log into United.com, click view/manage reservations under my trips menu, then click the canceled tab. Your itinerary should be under there, with a button to ‘use future flight credit’.
I tried looking up an itinerary I cancelled in March. It shows nothing under the cancelled tab. Would that be because I booked it with Orbitz, even though it should be showing a United credit?
Old Apr 20, 20, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
I tried looking up an itinerary I cancelled in March. It shows nothing under the cancelled tab. Would that be because I booked it with Orbitz, even though it should be showing a United credit?
If you booked then canceled with Orbitz, your credit is with Orbitz
https://www.orbitz.com/blog/2020/04/...ght-right-now/
Old Apr 20, 20, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If you booked then canceled with Orbitz, your credit is with Orbitz
https://www.orbitz.com/blog/2020/04/...ght-right-now/
Is UA owner or part-owner of Orbitz though? Here's the odd thing, the ticket purchase that I'm talking about on United showed up on my credit card statement as "UNITED 0162XXXXXX 800-932-2732 TX" just as every ticket I have purchased directly through United.... Why would Orbitz put through a ticket charge as though they are actually United? As I recall, that particular ticket (JAX-EWR) was about $50 cheaper through Orbitz than on the United website. Lesson learned. I will try to avoid the OTA tickets in the future unless the difference in price is HUGE. And I will never make the same mistake I did in late 2019 and early 2020 by booking all of my 2020 travel many months ahead. Just in case something like the Corona Virus pops up again in the future.
So if my credit is with Orbitz, is that usable toward a ticket on ANY airline or just on a future UA ticket?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: