Wiki Posts
Search

Buying personal miles...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Buying personal miles...

I've planned to move away from United as this year I won't make the spend (Asiapacific based UA 1K) and so I thought I'll choose another StarAlliance that serves locally and I can easily hit the 50k miles.

Then I get the United email about status till 2021. Woohoo!

So I'm sitting on 650,000 total lifetime mileage thinking maybe in the next two years i'll be 750k.

The email comes in "But Personal Miles" - https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/mil...m_medium=email

My question is, do these qualify as lifetime miles ? There is a note that they don't qualiffy for premier status but doesn't say lifetime. This could get me closer to 1M total miles and lifetime gold, which is really what I care about, not the 1K

Anyone?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
No.
No lifetime miles. Only actually flown miles from purchased tickets count.
Flying on an award ticket doesn't count either.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your status is extended to 2022!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Indeed LondonElite, 2022. Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Narvik.
Well, I guess I then continue to use United to see what I can rack up before I move. United is pushing me out with the new spend requirements. They don't have a United operated flight where I live so basically I cannot spend their requirements even if I do fly back home
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Seat52K
Indeed LondonElite, 2022. Thanks for clarification.

Thanks Narvik.
Well, I guess I then continue to use United to see what I can rack up before I move. United is pushing me out with the new spend requirements. They don't have a United operated flight where I live so basically I cannot spend their requirements even if I do fly back home
I wouldn't make any hasty decisions for the next few months. UA lowered their spending requirements, and I'll bet that there's a lot more to come. Make an informed judgement in about three or four months, I would say.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MP
I am not a 1K, but as a fellow APAC UA flyer, I feel your pain - UA has basically kicked us out.

As others have remarked, no, they do not count towards lifetime status.
If you are at 650k and will be at 750k in 2 years, it might make sense to keep flying UA for a few more years (if you can get 50k miles per year on UA metal) just to put up with things until you reach 1 million.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acregal
If you are at 650k and will be at 750k in 2 years, it might make sense to keep flying UA for a few more years (if you can get 50k miles per year on UA metal) just to put up with things until you reach 1 million.
I strongly disagree. There's no way to know what the Million Miler program will look like in 7 years. I recommend only considering Million Miler status, at all, if you're within 2 years' flying of the next milestone. Otherwise you're buying a pig in a poke.
RNE and Kannai like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
On the other hand, goal-oriented individuals like to have an objective to which to aspire.

For some, an unstable or moving target is better than none.

The change from 1 MM Premier Executive, or the elimination of new Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Titanium Elite qualification exemplify the hazard -- so one must fully evaluate all other reasonable alternatives, and not throw money away toward something that may never materialize.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Besides, who knows what a mile is worth these days, with all the changes the airlines have made to their programs, not to mention possible bankruptcy. I don’t think I’d buy a mile unless I was planning to use it tomorrow. I think people may be skittish about whether mile bonuses on credit cards are worth it now, too. Which may turn into a problem for the airlines.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would be *very* wary of buying miles from United - they are planning to do everything possible to monetize both United and Chase miles, and with the advent of dynamic award pricing, we should probably expect Kirby to screw us over in a very ugly way in terms of fees, mileage expiration policy and dramatic increases in redemption pricing. I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated "use it or lose it" policy to expire stale miles, or require payment of maintenance fees to retain miles that are not redeemed.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I agree with LondonElite, give it a few months, more changes to MP are coming. American Airlines recently announced that every dollar spent on two of their co-branded credit cards will earn one mile towards lifetime status, so UA might do something similar, which could help you out.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:05 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I don’t think I’d buy a mile unless I was planning to use it tomorrow.
I agree.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would be *very* wary of buying miles from United - they are planning to do everything possible to monetize both United and Chase miles, and with the advent of dynamic award pricing, we should probably expect Kirby to screw us over in a very ugly way in terms of fees, mileage expiration policy and dramatic increases in redemption pricing.
Exactly. I'm sitting on 477k UA miles which I know I should spend ASAP. But I can't book past 330 days and in that (suddenly-short-seeming) time frame, who knows 1) what routes UA will be flying? And 2) what destinations will be viable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.