Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BE fare drastic price increase -- UA's early April 2020 fire sale over?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold

Hello. Last week, I reviewed BE fares from PHL to IAH for period from May to September 2020.
N fare basis was plentiful with itineraries in BE four times weekly in both directions.
Now, same fares have increased in price at least four fold with N basis availability >9.
What has happened in such a short time? Will N basis fares "normalize" or is the new "norm" for this routing?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Last week, I reviewed BE fares from PHL to IAH for period from May to September 2020.
N fare basis was plentiful with itineraries in BE four times weekly in both directions.
Now, same fares have increased in price at least four fold with N basis availability >9.
What has happened in such a short time? Will N basis fares "normalize" or is the new "norm" for this routing?
BE fares are differential. N inventory is meaningless -- it's always equal to Y. Either (a) a sale fare expired or was pulled, or (b) inventory was tightened in the other buckets (G, K, etc.). It's those inventory buckets, not N, that control the price of a BE ticket. It may change back; it may not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were seeing their stop-gap pricing while they watched what was happening with demand. Prognosticating, I think they're done with the fire sale pricing.

Note that N is not a normal fare bucket, so N9 only means there are still seats on the plane. This is a change to the fare pricing, not the inventory management.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
You were seeing their stop-gap pricing while they watched what was happening with demand. Prognosticating, I think they're done with the fire sale pricing.

Note that N is not a normal fare bucket, so N9 only means there are still seats on the plane. This is a change to the fare pricing, not the inventory management.
Thanks; just as I thought.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have to agree with fumje. I believe the fire sale on fares is over (at least for now). UA finally realized that the only people who are flying right now "need" to travel. Glad I purchased most of my tickets out thru the end of July while the fares were low.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The other day a flight from SFO-IAH-SAL (San Salvador in Central America) was over $5000 in business.
usually it is $1200-1500; I could not understand what was going on
This explains it.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Some of those fire sale fares were unreal. Kicking myself for not grabbing them when I saw them. Oh well.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Airfares have pretty much gone back to normal. No more super cheap fares, or last minute fares.. I was lucky to get BOS-SFO-LAS recently for $70. Used PP for J. Service sucked and no blankets. Wouldn't say it was worth much more than $70 lol. Even the BOS lounge was closed although it was advertised as open
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I seriously doubt we've seen the end of pricing variability and volatility related to the crisis. More likely is UA is tinkering with pricing to get an idea of (nonexistent) long-term demand elasticity, to compare with historical trends.

Speaking for myself only, I'm not even looking at long-term travel plans until there's more clarity on when things are going to spool back up. It's not good for my mental health!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm wish I had taken advantage of the fire sale Cancun fares for mid-November. I'll just hold out until or if they come back down...if not, meh.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those fares only occurred while UA (and other carriers) figured out how to price in the new reality. Those ultra-cheap fares were not sustainable. Now that capacity is back to matching rational price demand, there is at least some hope that carriers pull through, albeit with a ton of government support.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Now that capacity is back to matching rational price demand, there is at least some hope that carriers pull through, albeit with a ton of government support.
But it's not. Look at UA's note for today: their traffic is down 97% for the first two weeks of April. Their schedule reductions for April were around 60%. Even the announcement that May schedules will be cut 90% still means sub-50% load factors if traffic doesn't start to rebound.

This has nothing to do with capacity matching demand. It's just that there's little reason to offer discounts when prices aren't the reason that people aren't buying.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BE fares were probably an F9 match. Once F9 pulled back, UA pulled their fares.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:28 pm

They obviously have to limit the number of people on a flight to maintain social distancing.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chriskuo
They obviously have to limit the number of people on a flight to maintain social distancing.
They're doing no such thing. The number of people on a flight is limiting itself right now. If they could sell every seat, they would.

The CDC-suggested two meter buffer is wholly impractical on an airplane. For a narrowbody, with UA's current Y seats, they'd be able to fill one out of every 9 seats -- you'd need to skip two rows and then fit one person in the window seat of the third row, basically. Even with lower fuel costs, there's just no way that they can charge enough for those seats to make it profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.