Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA let Chase spend earn MM/Lifetime mile credit as AA has done?

View Poll Results: Should UA let Chase spend earn MM/Lifetime mile credit?
No
62.57%
Yes, but just for a limited amount in 2020
10.06%
Yes, no limit, just for 2020
11.73%
Yes, but just for a limited amount, as a permament feature
5.59%
Yes, no limit, as a permament feature
10.06%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 13, 20, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC

AA allowing spend from May to December to count towards MM status. That’s one I wish UA had thought of...that’s a great perk. I’d certainly spend more on my UA cards for that. Perhaps UA can convince Chase to help them pay for that? Not sure what the economics behind that are.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Apr 13, 20 at 1:30 pm
Old Apr 13, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
AA allowing spend from May to December to count towards MM status. That’s one I wish UA had thought of...that’s a great perk. I’d certainly spend more on my UA cards for that. Perhaps UA can convince Chase to help them pay for that? Not sure what the economics behind that are.
Well, AA had this before, and while I see some merits, it's a really bad way of watering down the MM program. There is a reason why credit card spend toward MM status had been removed.
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat/MM, AA 2MM, AF Sil, Bonvoy Tit (LTG), HH Dia
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Well, AA had this before, and while I see some merits, it's a really bad way of watering down the MM program. There is a reason why credit card spend toward MM status had been removed.
UA's MM program is significantly more generous than AA's (which is capped with lowly Plat status at 2MM)... I would anticipate quite a few new lifetime GS members if UA were to include CC spend for the rest of the year.
Old Apr 13, 20, 1:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
This provides incentive to use the credit card but little incentive for UA and inflates the MMer ranks which is a long term cost for UA. AA did this in the past and may get an incentive -- but AA is by far the the major domestic carrier in most trouble.
Old Apr 13, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This provides incentive to use the credit card but little incentive for UA and inflates the MMer ranks which is a long term cost for UA. AA did this in the past and may get an incentive -- but AA is by far the the major domestic carrier in most trouble.
Yes, what this does is forces the CC company to buy miles from American, thereby injecting cashflow into AA. As WC correctly points out, it also decimates the value of the program by creating congestion at the higher tiers. UA has incurred significant reputational harm over the past two years reducing the congestion at the top. So I doubt UA will follow.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 20 at 7:56 pm Reason: split post
Old Apr 13, 20, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a View Post
UA's MM program is significantly more generous than AA's (which is capped with lowly Plat status at 2MM)... I would anticipate quite a few new lifetime GS members if UA were to include CC spend for the rest of the year.
I'm so glad UA didn't do this. It would have watered down the program, made the status less meaningful (and therefore less of a thing to work towards), and ultimately result in a lessening of the benefits. But AA previously did count credit card spend, so less of a dilution for AA.
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Will UA match AA million mile promotion?

From AA website:

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantage® credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020, – December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.
Will UA match this promotion with spending on UA-branded Chase credit cards?
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I hope not.
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:41 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I hope not.
Since when does UA follow AA??
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
No.
AA historically offered this and their MM program is very weak.
SPN Lifer and ual744777sta like this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Since when does UA follow AA??
In the dictionary?
Xyzzy, jonlibby, BruceWG and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Too bad. AA is going to have tens of thousands of new people hitting Platinum (where their MM program caps) because of this promotion. Every small business owner is going to pump their spend through this card for the next several months and then have Platinum fo life. I would be disappointed if I were an AA Platinum member. Then again, AA's debt is so much higher than UA's or Delta's that I guess they are just desperately fighting for survival. Isn't AA also the airline that offered an upfront fee in exchange for free-flying for life years ago? Whey do they do these crazy things that then hurt them for decades to come...
SPN Lifer and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly View Post
Too bad. AA is going to have tens of thousands of new people hitting Platinum (where their MM program caps) because of this promotion. Every small business owner is going to pump their spend through this card for the next several months and then have Platinum fo life. I would be disappointed if I were an AA Platinum member. Then again, AA's debt is so much higher than UA's or Delta's that I guess they are just desperately fighting for survival. Isn't AA also the airline that offered an upfront fee in exchange for free-flying for life years ago? Whey do they do these crazy things that then hurt them for decades to come...
Simple. As you were saying, they are fighting for survival.
As you know, the airlines have now been offered a loan as part of their "grant" (they thought it was all free, but not so fast says Mnuchin)
Old Apr 13, 20, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I hope not.
I wholeheartedly agree with view of a legend!
TerryK likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
AA historically offered this
As I recall, Continental did as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: