Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Jan 29, 15, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
What is ETC?
Electronic Travel Certificate or Electronic Travel Credit.

I notice this abbreviation is not in the Glossary.
Old Jan 29, 15, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
What is ETC?
Electronic Travel Certificate

You get a PIN and the value of the ETC can be used on the purchase of a new ticket. They're good for a year from the date of issue, in my experience.
Old Jan 29, 15, 4:16 pm

Can I complain to DOT about failure to issue an ETC in a timely manner, exactly as if it were a refund?
Old Jan 29, 15, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Electronic Travel Certificate or Electronic Travel Credit.

I notice this abbreviation is not in the Glossary.
It is in this one - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html

To get it added to the FT Glossary
Send glossary additions or corrections to [email protected]. Please include word and definition.
Old Feb 15, 15, 5:42 pm

Cancel ticket for one person and use credit for another?

I have booked 4 non-refundable tickets, $1500 value each. One person won't be able to go and and another person would be able to join instead.

If we cancel the ticket of PERSON A for credit we can't use that on PERSON B, right?
Can we book like a $100 ticket for PERSON A and the residual value can be applied to the new ticket for PERSON B?

Is it possible or have i missed something? Are there any other options?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 15, 15, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, bjornesmagasin
Originally Posted by bjornesmagasin View Post
... If we cancel the ticket of PERSON A for credit we can't use that on PERSON B, right? ...
not directly
... Can we book like a $100 ticket for PERSON A and the residual value can be applied to the new ticket for PERSON B? ...
Yes you can do this, the wiki at the top of the thread has more details and suggestions on finding a low cost ticket. Note you will also need new money for the change/cancel fee -- how much will depend on the ticket fare rules.
Old Feb 15, 15, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, bjornesmagasin
Thanks! and thank you for the quick answer!

So if I book a low cost ticket can I cancel it directly and an ETC will be issued?

Does it matter that my original ticket is an international flight?
Old Feb 15, 15, 7:09 pm

... So if I book a low cost ticket can I cancel it directly and an ETC will be issued? ...
yes, it will be sent to the passagner of the original ticket

...Does it matter that my original ticket is an international flight?
No but the change fee is typically higher for international fares.
Old Feb 16, 15, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
yes, it will be sent to the passagner of the original ticket
I bought and paid all four tickets. If it is sent to the person of the canceled ticket, how do they know where to send it? I havn't entered their address anywhere.
Old Feb 16, 15, 2:02 pm

I bought and paid all four tickets. If it is sent to the person of the canceled ticket, how do they know where to send it? I havn't entered their address anywhere.
While you may have paid for the tickets, the tickets are considered by the airlines to be own by the passagner. Hence the initial re-booking can only be done in that passenger's name. The residual value ETC will sent to the contact info in the new reservation.
Old Feb 21, 15, 11:03 am

Rebooking Canceled TPAC Return Portion of a Ticket

If I have a return portion of a TPAC ticket in L-class that is approximately $300 in value, but I cancel it, can I rebook at a later time (with a $300 change fee) as part of the return trip of the original TPAC?

I'm asking this because if I pay the change fee of $300 right now and push the return by a month, the fare difference is $200 + $300 change fee. But if I purchase a one-way ticket it costs like $800 (V-class is the cheapest).

So I was thinking if I call in to say I won't be taking the flight to use the ticket later, will they reprice it as part of the original ticket or give me a credit of $300 with the payment of $300, which is nothing.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21, 15, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be wrong, but if this is round-trip ticket and you don't change the ticket before the original return date, I think you will have no credit to salvage. If you want to preserve the value of the return portion of the ticket (by paying the $300 in new money), you need to do it before the original return date. Cancelling the return, once the trip has started, doesn't result in remaining value. The idea is United doesn't want to sell cheap round-trip tickets and people use only the outbound segment to save money on a one-way fare. Or, in your case, avoid paying a one-way fare both ways.

If you buy a discount ticket, you're doing so because you think the chance of changing your plans is low. UA sells you that ticket at a discount price because you're taking that gamble. They're not selling a discount ticket to allow you to use it as two one-way fares. Thus, the restrictions.
Old Mar 16, 15, 12:07 am

Rebooking a cancelled flight

Hi there!

I had to cancel a nonrefundable flight (a $1200 ticket) last year because of a visa issue. From what I understand, I can rebook another ticket within a year if I pay a $300 fee. I made my original booking last July but the ticket was reissued in Mid September because there was a 15 min schedule change. My credit should expire Mid September, but I won't be able to go on another trip and use the $900 ($1200-300) until October.

Can I use my credit to book a cheap flight? For example, if I book a throw-away $100 flight and pay for the $300 change fee, would I get $800 credit with a new expiration date? When would the expiration date be? What are my options here?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old Mar 16, 15, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by petey2428 View Post
Can I use my credit to book a cheap flight? For example, if I book a throw-away $100 flight and pay for the $300 change fee, would I get $800 credit with a new expiration date? When would the expiration date be? ....
The wiki of this thread provides a step by step on this.
two key points
- the change fee is new money and not subtracted from the credit -- so the credit would be $1,100 after an additional $300 fee.
- the credit voucher would have a life of one year from date of issue, so you wait a bit more and then have an additional year.

You should be able to find a sub-$75 and maybe $50-ish fare, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-credit.html
Old Mar 17, 15, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
If throwaway ticket, are there restrictions about open jaws being in the same Area (1/2/3) and carrier restrictions (i.e. UA/UAX only)?

I updated the aforementioned Cheapest possible flight (How do I redeem this flight credit?) thread with current UA:$50-60 fares, along with additional fares on *A partners (with a broader price range).

In the unlikely event the rules are in our favor, there's even a NZ:$39 OW fare!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: