Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Dec 26, 14, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Thank you all for the response, I thought that was the answer, I was hoping I was wrong. Fortunately, a couple of the tickets have a $2000+ value so I might be able to use those towards some of expensive TPAC flights if I ever get the time for a vacation next year.
Old Jan 4, 15, 12:06 pm

I cancelled flight #1 to destination A.

I want to use the value from flight #1 to book a new flight to destination B. I understand I will pay $200 change fee.

Will I be able to cancel flight #2 within 24 hours and retain flight #1's value? If so, what about the change fee?
Old Jan 4, 15, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey View Post
I cancelled flight #1 to destination A.

I want to use the value from flight #1 to book a new flight to destination B. I understand I will pay $200 change fee.

Will I be able to cancel flight #2 within 24 hours and retain flight #1's value? If so, what about the change fee?
No
Flight #2 is a change of previous cancelled flight (for which you paid a change fee), not considered a new booking and the 24 cancellation clause is only for new bookings, not changes.

If you make yet another change, there will be another change fee and no refund of the previous change fee.
Old Jan 25, 15, 11:41 am

Need help with .bomb.

I'm trying to change a cancelled non-ref ticket (sitting in my "inactive" reservations) to recover the residual value. I'm using the method as described in the wiki. Since the orig ticket is approaching it's birthday soon and at this time I do not have any upcoming travel plans with UA, I just want to book a dummy reservation for a very cheap flight, pay the change fee, and get a ETC for a future booking within a year.

I have no issues finding extremely cheap United/UA flights on ITA Matrix. I'm also offered those extremely cheap flights when I try to book those through the United homepage (NOT through the "change flights" interface). These are flights on UA or UA Express.

However, when I try to book that extremely cheap flight using the "change flights" interface, it goes wrong. It will not offer me that flight, instead it will offer some strange routing involving one or more stops on an expensive fare. Or it will offer me the flight but ONLY with an Y, A or F fare. It also TOTALLY ignores my flight search preferences. If I enter "non-stop", it will offer flights with multiple stops. If I force booking class N or K, it will just offer Y, A or F. It will even sometimes offer First only, even when searching for Economy and with Economy still wide open on that flight. It doesn't matter if I try OW, RT or MD. Then when I try again on through the regular interface (not using the change flights option) it will offer those cheap options again.

What am I missing? It is of course useless to recover residual flight value if I'm only offered Y-fares. The fare is so steep that it is always more expensive than the original ticket (not considering the change fee even).

It's like ua.bomb INSISTS on offering a more expensive ticket than the original one, in order to avoid having to give you ETC. It will use every trick in the book to find fares that are more expensive than the value of your original ticket.

I tried clearing cache and cookies and all that, doesn't help.

Just to be sure:

The new ticket must complete travel within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date CHECK
The new ticket must be for the same named traveler CHECK

The orig cancelled reservation was on a int'l P-fare in BusinessFirst. Non-US billing address.

Last edited by mozilla; Jan 25, 15 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 25, 15, 11:58 am

ETC never arrived

How long after rebooking of a properly cancelled ticket with residual value after the rebook should I expect before I receive the ETC? I rebooked about 10 days ago, and the agent implied I'd get the ETC for the remaining value by email. I presumed that meant "very quickly, certainly today." Ten days later it has not arrived. Does it come by snail mail instead?? How long before I try to shake it loose from them??
Old Jan 25, 15, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
Need help with .bomb.

I'm trying to change a cancelled non-ref ticket (sitting in my "inactive" reservations) to recover the residual value. I'm using the method as described in the wiki. Since the orig ticket is approaching it's birthday soon and at this time I do not have any upcoming travel plans with UA, I just want to book a dummy reservation for a very cheap flight, pay the change fee, and get a ETC for a future booking within a year.
After some more investigation, apparently intl ticket residual values are not eligible for ETC (see fare rules below). ua.bomb will however still offer fares that will result in new_fare >= (residual_value - change_fee). In that case, it will still charge the full change fee but if the new fare is cheaper than the old fare, it will also refund the difference between new fare and residual value to orig form of payment (no ETC). So theoretically you could get the new ticket for $ 0.00 (but not less) if that is the result of change fee minus fare difference. If the new fare is more expensive, it just charges the fare difference + the change fee.

If new_fare < (residual_value - change_fee) it will NOT offer the new fare. Clearly the end result MUST be that money flows from your pocket to UA, not vice versa.

I also have some US domestic cancelled non-ref tickets sitting in my inactive reservations and for those tickets it WILL offer the very cheap fares and it offers to refund the big fare difference (exceeding the change fee) to ETC, even without a US billing address.

Maybe this could be added to the wiki since it doesn't say anything about intl flights (which caused my confusion in the first place)? Also note that the new ticket must be issued within 1 year of orig ticket (travel does not need to be in that year) and that it is allowed to book on UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC.

B. EXCHANGE - CHANGE TO 1ST TICKETED FLIGHT /
WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET
--
FULL VALUE OF A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE
APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET PRICED
AT -CURRENT- EQUAL OR HIGHER FARE LEVELS UPON
PAYMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE FEE EQUAL TO CHANGE
FEE CONTAINED WITHIN THIS RULE AND ANY
DIFFERENCE IN FARE / TAXES / FEES /
SURCHARGES WILL BE APPLICABLE AT TIME
OF EXCHANGE.
--PROVIDED--
--ORIGINAL RESERVATIONS ARE CANCELED PRIOR TO
ORIGINALLY SCHEDULE FLIGHT OR TICKET HAS
NO VALUE IF NO-SHOW.
RESERVATIONS FOR NEW ITINERARY ARE MADE AND
TICKETS REISSUED NO LATER THAN 1 YEAR FROM
DATE OF ISSUE ON ORIGINAL PURCHASED TICKET.
--
THE NON-REFUNDABLE CANCELLATION AMOUNT OF THE
TICKET BEING EXCHANGED REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE
AND CARRIED FORWARD IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
THE NEW TICKET.
--
RESERVATIONS MUST BE CANCELED BEFORE
ORIGINAL SCHEDULE FLIGHT OR TICKET
HAS NO VALUE IF NO-SHOW.
--
TAG-5 - WHOLLY UNUSED CHANGE TO 1ST TICKETED
FLIGHT COUPON
BEFORE DEPARATURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN
TICKET VALIDITY.
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE
OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES.
--
CHARGE ADMINISTRATIVE FEE EQUAL TO CHANGE FEE.
--
PENALTY WILL NOT APPLY TO INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT/
APPLY CAT19 PROVISIONS FOR INTANT WITH A SEAT /
CHILD.
--
REPRICE USING CURRENT QUALIFYING FARES
--
1. UA/LH/LX/OS/SN/AC FARES ARE USED
2. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN
PREVIOUS TKT
3. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
--
EQUAL OR HIGHER FARE -REFUND NOT APPLICABLE //
CHARGE FULL ADMINISTRATIVE FEE
ADD COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE - IF APPLICABLE
--
ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND
NEW ENDORSEMENTS

Last edited by mozilla; Jan 25, 15 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 25, 15, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
FYI made a change to the Wiki

I changed this language (relevant text is bolded):

The new ticket must complete travel within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date

To this:

The new ticket must be purchased within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date

I just changed a ticket issued in March, 2014 to a flight in April of 2015, in case anyone wants to quarrel with this. As far as I know, this is the way it's always been, at least on Continental.
Old Jan 25, 15, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
I changed this language (relevant text is bolded):

The new ticket must complete travel within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date

To this:

The new ticket must be purchased within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date

I just changed a ticket issued in March, 2014 to a flight in April of 2015, in case anyone wants to quarrel with this. As far as I know, this is the way it's always been, at least on Continental.
I've added the relevant standard United domestic non-ref exchange fare rule below, which confirms your correction. It is also my experience that travel does not need to be within 1 year of the orig ticket purchase date. I would however say that the ticket must be purchased within 1 year of the original ticket's issue date. Purchase date may differ from issue date.

It also defines 1 year as 365 days. This would mean that a ticket issued today Jan 25, 2015 can be exchanged until Jan 25, 2016 iso Jan 24, 2016.

A. WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -
--
A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE APPLIED TOWARD THE
PURCHASE OF A DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL FARE/
TICKET PRICED AT -CURRENT- FARE LEVELS FOLLOWING
ALL FARE RULE PROVISIONS.
--
ORIGINAL RESERVATIONS OF WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST
BE CANCELLED PRIOR TO ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FLIGHT
OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
--
WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST BE EXCHANGED NO LATER
THAN ONE YEAR / 365 DAYS / OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET
ISSUE DATE OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

--
THE NON REFUNDABLE VALUE OF THE UNUSED TICKET
MUST BE CARRIED FORWARD IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
THE NEW TICKET AND DESIGNATED AS NON REFUNDABLE.
--
AN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE FEE EQUAL TO THE CHANGE
FEE WILL BE ASSESSED PER TRANSACTION.
RESIDUAL VALUE / IF ANY / WILL BE RETURNED IN THE
FORM OF A NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL
ON UNITED AIRLINES.
TRAVEL AGENCY MAY ISSUE A NON-REFUNDABLE MCO/EMD
VALID FOR TRAVEL ON UNITED AIRLINES.
--
PASSENGERS TRAVELING ON COMPANION FARES MUST
PRESENT ALL TICKETS AT THE SAME TIME.
--

Last edited by mozilla; Jan 25, 15 at 3:18 pm
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:04 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Ticket change strategy

I may need to change a ticketed reservation and need some expert advice. Using round numbers, I have a ticket for $500. If I try to change that reservation to a lower priced route ($300), I get the opportunity to pay $200 as a change fee but there's no acknowledgment that the new itinerary is significantly lower. The new ticket costs $0 according to the change page.

So....can I cancel the existing ticket thereby generating an available balance of $500, buy a new $300 ticket using that balance, pay the $200 change fee and come out with no extra cost?
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hans View Post
I may need to change a ticketed reservation and need some expert advice. Using round numbers, I have a ticket for $500. If I try to change that reservation to a lower priced route ($300), I get the opportunity to pay $200 as a change fee but there's no acknowledgment that the new itinerary is significantly lower. The new ticket costs $0 according to the change page.

So....can I cancel the existing ticket thereby generating an available balance of $500, buy a new $300 ticket using that balance, pay the $200 change fee and come out with no extra cost?
Change fees are not deducted from the amount of the credit of the canceled ticket, they have to be paid with new money. So you will pay $200 in new money to be able to use the $500 towards future travel.
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

Assuming you have not flown any part of the itin, there should be no difference between the two approaches. {There maybe the issue one approach shows a different set of flight options, but calling should be all to get any available option.}

A cancel and rebook is essentially just a change flight. But in either case the change fee is new money and the fare difference will generate a ETC for a future flight.

Will move this to a thread that has a wiki with more info.
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:25 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Assuming you have not flown any part of the itin, there should be no difference between the two approaches. {There maybe the issue one approach shows a different set of flight options, but calling should be all to get any available option.}

A cancel and rebook is essentially just a change flight. But in either case the change fee is new money and the fare difference will generate a ETC for a future flight.
So in this scenario, I cancel a $500 ticket. I then book a $300 ticket and pay the change fee of $200. I've still paid $500 in total and I get an ETC for the ticket amount difference ($200). Is that correct?
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:29 pm

So in this scenario, I cancel a $500 ticket. I then book a $300 ticket and pay the change fee of $200. I've still paid $500 in total and I get an ETC for the ticket amount difference ($200)? Is that correct?
I would phrase it as you paid $700 ($500+$200) and received the changed $300 ticket plus $200 ETC.
Old Jan 29, 15, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I would phrase it as you paid $700 ($500+$200) and received the changed $300 ticket plus $200 ETC.
Alternative phrasing:

You have to give United $200 more dollars to salvage the $500 you have already given to UA. In return for the $700 you'll have given United, you'll end up with a $300 ticket and a $200 ETC.
Old Jan 29, 15, 3:49 pm

What is ETC?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: