Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Meola10
Last year after cancelling via phone a reservation I was able to change the cancelled reservation to a new date just by selecting the change flight option on the Manage Reservations page on the website (under the Cancelled tab). I don't see the option to do so for my newly cancelled reservation. Not sure if I should wait for the ETC to show up (cancelled yesterday) or just book my new travel plans.
You will get no ETC on cancellation. The ETC occurs when you reschedule the cancelled trip (and pay the cancellation fee) and there is an unused residual. The cancelled PNR is the credit until rescheduled. If not appearing online, you will need to call -- there is no phone fee for rescheduling.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:15 pm

I have a cancelled flight that was over $5,000 (biz ticket IAH-MUC); if I buy a new ticket for me via the change option using for a flight that costs 1200$ (not counting the change fee) will the rest be refunded via an ETC? I want to confirm before my new booking, thanks

edit: I forgot to add, I started a dummy booking and before payment screen it says the leftover money will be via a travel cert, so I am just confirming as I want to use the travel cert to buy tix for multiple people.

Last edited by Prestor John; Mar 27, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Prestor John
I have a cancelled flight that was over $5,000 (biz ticket IAH-MUC); if I buy a new ticket for me via the change option using for a flight that costs 1200$ (not counting the change fee) will the rest be refunded via an ETC? I want to confirm before my new booking, thanks ...
Yes -- see this thread's wiki for more.

... edit: I forgot to add, I started a dummy booking and before payment screen it says the leftover money will be via a travel cert, so I am just confirming as I want to use the travel cert to buy tix for multiple people.
The ETC can be used for only one passenger on a given PNR, but the ETC can be used multiple times (on different PNRs) until exhausted.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes -- see this thread's wiki for more.

The ETC can be used for only one passenger on a given PNR, but the ETC can be used multiple times (on different PNRs) until exhausted.
thanks for moving my post; was not aware of this thread.

So, if I get an ETC and am purchasing a single PNR for four people, I cannot use the ETC, or it will only cover one ticket's worth?

Thanks again
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
thanks for moving my post; was not aware of this thread.

So, if I get an ETC and am purchasing a single PNR for four people, I cannot use the ETC, or it will only cover one ticket's worth?

Thanks again
One ticket's worth.

You can work around that by booking each passenger on a separate PNR, although that won't get them your bag allowance, or E+ automatically.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Yesterday I booked three tickets on a single PNR and used two old ETCs from a single ticket of mine. It worked to cover the total cost.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:18 am

I booked international ticket with travel date in Jan 2017 but unfortunately could not travel due to some personal reason. I was told I can use the credit within a year. But I can use this credit until March 2018, can I book my ticket now (with in 1 year) with travel dates in March 2018?

I called united and they told me I have to finish my travel with in one year of my first booking. But when I tried to book my ticket with March 2018 dates using credit, it was showing flight options with change fees. I did not finalize booking because I was confused with the rule, can someone please tell me what is exact rule?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by mak101
I called united and they told me I have to finish my travel with in one year of my first booking. But when I tried to book my ticket with March 2018 dates using credit, it was showing flight options with change fees. I did not finalize booking because I was confused with the rule, can someone please tell me what is exact rule? ...
Yes, these one year rules are confusing and misunderstood. What you saw is allowed, as summarized in the wiki of this thread
  • The new ticket must be purchased within 1 year of the original ticket's purchase date
  • The new ticket will be good for one year from the exchange/re-scheduled date
  • The new ticket must be for the same named traveler
  • The portion of a ticket purchased with nonrefundable ticket credit will be nonrefundable regardless of the new ticket's fare rules
  • The change fee requires payments of new funds and can not be funded from original ticket's value
  • Any fare residual will issued as a ETC.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, these one year rules are confusing and misunderstood. What you saw is allowed, as summarized in the wiki of this thread
Thanks for quick response.

The ticket I cancelled was one way (three lags) ticket but lack of transit visa I was not allowed to board at lag two (DEL-EWR) - they should have stopped me at lag one (anyway it was a long story and lots of hassles ) , Is there anyway to waive change fees while booking with unused credit. And how do I find how mach is balance in unused portion? I asked united and rep told me they don't know
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:44 am

Thanks for quick response.

The ticket I cancelled was one way (three lags) ticket but lack of transit visa I was not allowed to board at lag two (DEL-EWR) - they should have stopped me at lag one (anyway it was a long story and lots of hassles ) , Is there anyway to waive change fees while booking with unused credit. ...
Since valid travel documents are the passenger's responsibility, I doubt UA will waive the fees. But agree it is surprising that was not checked prior to travel, but transit visas are tricky.

And how do I find how mach is balance in unused portion? ...
Using the unused portion is very complicated and basic depends the original ticket and the new routeing -- there is no one answer.
This thread has some examples, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html

I asked united and rep told me they don't know
yep,
Old May 2, 2017, 7:28 am

So my wife cannot travel on a ticket we bought for this weekend (ticket purchased over one month ago). Ticket cost was ~$450. I understand we need to contact UA prior to the departure time to cancel the ticket and pay the $200 (we are ok paying the fee in order to get value out of the balance of the ticket - $250). My questions are as follows:

Is the $200 fee to be paid at the time we cancel the ticket or is it paid once we book a new ticket? We are not ready quite yet to book a new ticket. Whenever we do, it will be to a totally different destination.

Can/should we do this online? Online options appear to either be to cancel the ticket or change the flight. We are not necessarily ready yet to book a replacement flight. Thus the reason I am thinking we should call. I don't want to click cancel and then lose the $450 in value due to wording on that screen.

Lastly, if we pay the fee now and get to use the $450 later, where will this credit show up in our account online? In other words, how do we go about (from a process standpoint) using the credit to book a trip online in the future?

I'd like to get the wisdom of this board before calling so I kind of know what I should do, versus being led by the hand by someone in the call center who may or may not know what they are talking about.

Last edited by mgiannetto; May 2, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old May 2, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You can do it online, when you cancel, you can come back to the reservation to use the $450. At that time, you'll be charged the $200. If unsure, you can just call in. Its also spelled out in the WIKI.

Note, sometimes it pays to wait to cancel incase there is some sort of weather waiver or schedule change that would allow you to cancel without fee. Just make sure you do i before departure
Old May 2, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
.... Is the $200 fee to be paid at the time we cancel the ticket or is it paid once we book a new ticket? ...
When you do the rebooking. There is no fee to cancel, the fee is to use the credit.

.... Can/should we do this online? ...
the cancel can be done online, make you you receive an email confirmation (regardless of the way done).
The rebooking -- it can work online but some times it does not work work, Would plan on rebooking via agent -- there is no phone fee for doing this.

.... if we pay the fee now and get to use the $450 later, where will this credit show up in our account online? In other words, how do we go about (from a process standpoint) using the credit to book a trip online in the future? ...
No overt credit will be displayed. The 'credit' is the cancelled reservation (in the cancelled reservation section) and the PNR code. Keep the PNR code and ticket number for future reference.

As has been mentioned, this thread's wiki may be help with more details.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:50 pm

Thanks to both eng3 and winecountryUA - helpful.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: United
Cancelled Nonrefundable Ticket - Rebook as refundable and cancel for credit?

Hello,

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback on this to see if anyone has tried this. I had booked a one way ticket from China back to the US as economy with the upgrade with miles and money to business. I later found that there was an addition of an Asiana business saver ticket for 80k miles which I booked. I cancelled my original reservation forgetting that it was nonrefundable so I now have credit sitting on my account under inactive trips. I noticed that for rebooking the flight, it gives me the option to rebook a new flight as unrestricted refundable ticket. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to rebook a flight credit as a refundable fare and then cancelled to get money back on your card. Of course you loose the change fee on it but it seems like a back door to receiving a refund.

Regards

Richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.