Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Oct 19, 16, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
You will get credit for your flights until before departure. Doesn't matter if it's one minute (careful!) but you will get credit.

You will have to pay your $200 in new money, though.
So do they give you the full price in a travel credit, and then you pay $200 in new money essentially?
Old Oct 19, 16, 4:57 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
So do they give you the full price in a travel credit, and then you pay $200 in new money essentially?
Your PNR remains open. You then change flights, pay for the change fee, and change them to the new flights you want to. You then pay the difference, or get a refund in an ETC.
Old Oct 19, 16, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
Your PNR remains open. You then change flights, pay for the change fee, and change them to the new flights you want to. You then pay the difference, or get a refund in an ETC.
Cool thanks, and the PNR/Credit stays open for 365 days from when you cancel the original flight?
Old Oct 19, 16, 5:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
IIRC, it's 364 days from original ticketing but I haven't date had reason to know this for long enough that I'm not sure I trust my recollection.
Old Oct 19, 16, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
IIRC, it's 364 days from original ticketing but I haven't date had reason to know this for long enough that I'm not sure I trust my recollection.
This, so long as you cancel prior to travel.
Old Oct 19, 16, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
And don't wait until too last minute.

Your reservation will be canceled either when you don't check in by the check in cutoff or if you do, the moment the GA closes out the flight without you on it. That vary well may be at the listed departure time, but depending on how things are going that day, can be prior to that time (boarding completed and ready to go early), or can be later (IRROPS or any other delay, etc.). If you call at that point to cancel (say the moment the flight is scheduled to depart), and your reservation has already been canceled, you should be able to argue your way to get your credit back, but IMO, not worth it...give yourself extra time.

In addition, my other advice is not to trust you will be able to do this in a minute or two on the website...it is known to be buggy when making changes/cancelations. So if it works, great, but give yourself extra time to make a call and get a hold of an agent in case you need it.
Old Oct 19, 16, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I cancel this flight I know it is non refundable, but with that said will I get a United credit of the full flight purchase (the cost of the original coach ticket and the paid first class upgrade) minus ofcourse the $200 cancellation/change fee?
It's not clear how you upgraded. If you accepted the pop-up upgrade that is offered immediately after purchase, but prior to ticketing, that upgrade fee is expressly nonrefundable and nontransferable and will be lost if you cancel.
Old Oct 19, 16, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's not clear how you upgraded. If you accepted the pop-up upgrade that is offered immediately after purchase, but prior to ticketing, that upgrade fee is expressly nonrefundable and nontransferable and will be lost if you cancel.
No I purchased the flight, it was ticketed, and a few days later I went to change my seat. I clicked on a first class seat and it brought me to the "how much it will cost" option there I selected it, and paid it. Does that make a difference?
Old Oct 19, 16, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
No I purchased the flight, it was ticketed, and a few days later I went to change my seat. I clicked on a first class seat and it brought me to the "how much it will cost" option there I selected it, and paid it. Does that make a difference?
Yes it makes a difference. This was probably a non-refundable upgrade fee. What fare class (under the flight number) is the segment showing in your itinary?

Did the fee costs end in a "9", $xx9?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 19, 16 at 12:44 pm Reason: "9"
Old Oct 19, 16, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe this method re-fares the ticket.

The definitive way to tell is to look at your receipt. You should either see an annotation like "Add/Collect: an additional $$$$ was charged to XXXX for difference in fare", or one like "$$$ was charged to XXXX: EDDxxxxx Premium Cabin Upgrade".

The former adds value to the coupon which can be changed; the latter is a non-refundable fee.
Old Oct 19, 16, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The definitive way to tell is to look at your receipt.
+1

Good words: "Add/Collect"
Bad word: "upgrade"
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Does this apply to the following situation?

-Split two-person PNR to individual PNRs for each traveler
-Cancel one of the PNRs

Never actually had to do this before but this might become necessary for a TPAC at the end of the year.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 16, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post

-Cancel one of the PNRs...
There are twp separate PNRs and the cancelled one can be used as future flight credit for the traveler that cancelled.

Nothing unusual here.

What problem would you be concerned about?
Old Nov 28, 16, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper View Post

-Cancel one of the PNRs

Never actually had to do this before but this might become necessary for a TPAC at the end of the year.

Thanks!
I know I've had trouble doing this on an award before. Agent said something about the system getting confused in the price paid with the split.

Last time I tried this on a revenue - about March last year - I just called and had an agent split and do the cancel.
Old Nov 29, 16, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
There are twp separate PNRs and the cancelled one can be used as future flight credit for the traveler that cancelled.

Nothing unusual here.

What problem would you be concerned about?
No problem, was just confirming that it could be done. I've never voluntarily split a PNR before and was unsure of the mechanics. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: