Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old May 24, 16, 4:29 am

Programs: United MP Plat, Qatar PC Plat, AB Gold
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
Correct.

So, if you do cancel, the ticket will go to the inactive tab on: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...n/default.aspx

When you want to make use of the SEK 4016, you'll go here and click "Change Flight" and effectively make a new booking.

At this point, you'll pay the SEK 1200 fee.

If the new booking is less than SEK 4016, you'll get a refund by way of an e-Cert for the difference.

For what it's worth, SEK 1200 is about GBP 98, which to me, is very good for a K class change fee.
Thank you so much
Old May 24, 16, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
Correct.

So, if you do cancel, the ticket will go to the inactive tab on: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...n/default.aspx

When you want to make use of the SEK 4016, you'll go here and click "Change Flight" and effectively make a new booking.

At this point, you'll pay the SEK 1200 fee.

If the new booking is less than SEK 4016, you'll get a refund by way of an e-Cert for the difference.

For what it's worth, SEK 1200 is about GBP 98, which to me, is very good for a K class change fee.
Change fees vary by market, and are usually similar to whatever competitors offer. Sounds like this ticket was booked in Sweeden, and my guess is that is the going penalty rate there. When I was living in India, I could book an L class fare back to the US, and I forget exactly what the change/cancel penalty was, but was something like $75 or $100. Would have been the typical $300 if I booked US-BOM-US instead.

One other note to the OP: The ticket is only valid from one year from date of issue, otherwise the value goes to zero. That is typical at least - I don't think I've seen exceptions to this. So make sure you rebook before 1 year after the date off purchase (I believe the ticket only has to be re-issued by then, not necessarily flown, but I'm sure others more knowledgable can confirm or comment).
Old May 24, 16, 8:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dehetoxic View Post
... I heard if I cancelled the ticket, I will get a credit of 4016 SEK for reuse in the future ? Can anyone confirm that ? I'm a platinum member.
This is true and the this thread's wiki walks you through the process. The biggest issue in your case is the credit is limited to use on UA/UX operated flights only.

A work around to that limitation is to "purchase" with the credit any wholly UA/UA operated itin that is completely unrestricted. And then call to change that unrestricted flight to your desired flight. There will still be a change fee to use the credit but n change fee on changing the unrestricted itin.

Note the funds used to purchase the unrestricted flight because it used the credit is still unrefundable.
Old May 24, 16, 9:54 pm

United credits over $3500 from cancellation ..

I might have to cancel airline tickets worth $3660 :-( These are non-refundable but I believe United would offer credits. I booked Oct 2015 so I have end of Oct 2016 to use them.

My question is can these credits be used for cruises or vacations booked on United ?
Old May 24, 16, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps View Post
I might have to cancel airline tickets worth $3660 :-( These are non-refundable but I believe United would offer credits. I booked Oct 2015 so I have end of Oct 2016 to use them.

My question is can these credits be used for cruises or vacations booked on United ?
No because those cruises / vacation packages are not offered by UA -- they are 3rd party offerings.
Cancelled ticket credits can only be directly used for UA/UX flights.
Old May 25, 16, 9:34 am

Thanks. Anyway to get the timeline extended beyond the Oct 2016 expiry?
Old May 25, 16, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks. Anyway to get the timeline extended beyond the Oct 2016 expiry?
You can always ask UA and give a good reason.

I believe you just need to rebook by the 1 year date, not actually take the flight...which you may have already known, but thought I'd point it out.
Old May 25, 16, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by JBord View Post

I believe you just need to rebook by the 1 year date, not actually take the flight...which you may have already known, but thought I'd point it out.

I think the forward flight should be before Nov 1 , 2016 but I can return anytime unless I am mistaken..
Old May 25, 16, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Another option is to buy a very cheap one-way flight (e.g. SFO-LAS are about $45), pay the $200 change fee, and get the rest ($3660 - $45 - $200 = $3145) applied to an e-cert. Just throw away the SFO-LAS ticket. That way, you can use that money for any united flight for ANY flier. Basically, you are paying $45 to enable anyone to use the funds as opposed to just you. Another option to consider.
Old May 25, 16, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord View Post

Your first sentence doesn't sound correct (well, technically one could ask, but don't think it's actually possible to extend an unused ticket past its validity date).

The problem is the ticket validity is only 1 year, so the balance goes dead at that time if not re-issued, and I don't believe it can be extended. At least that's my understanding.
Old May 25, 16, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Another option is to buy a very cheap one-way flight (e.g. SFO-LAS are about $45), pay the $200 change fee, and get the rest ($3660 - $45 - $200 = $3145) applied to an e-cert. Just throw away the SFO-LAS ticket. That way, you can use that money for any united flight for ANY flier. Basically, you are paying $45 to enable anyone to use the funds as opposed to just you. Another option to consider.
The funds are from 3 tickets for trips to India. So if I cancel , don't I have to pay 3 change fee or just one? and the funds in etickets can be used by anyone and doesn't have expiry?
Old May 25, 16, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think the forward flight should be before Nov 1 , 2016 but I can return anytime unless I am mistaken..
I would ask UA. I had to cancel a December 2015 ticket for a medical reason, and was told that I just had to book the flight by the 1 year mark, but travel could all be after that. I've already re-booked for August, so doesn't impact me, but that's what I have in my notes from when I spoke with a rep.

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Your first sentence doesn't sound correct (well, technically one could ask, but don't think it's actually possible to extend an unused ticket past its validity date).

The problem is the ticket validity is only 1 year, so the balance goes dead at that time if not re-issued, and I don't believe it can be extended. At least that's my understanding.
I agree, that was my way of saying it never hurts to ask, but it's not likely.
Old May 25, 16, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Yes, three tickets means 3 change fees and international change fees are higher than domestic in most cases. As JBord pointed out, you only have to re-book something with these credits within a year, the travel can be later and it does not have to be on the original routing. If you have a medical reason or a family emergency you can apply for a refund of the change fees after you have re-booked. The change fees are not charged until you re-book. If you are asking for relief from the frees you will need a doctors note or in the case of a death, a copy of of obit or the death certificate. Typically they will reimburse all but $50 of the change fee for each ticket.
Old May 25, 16, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Typically they will reimburse all but $50 of the change fee for each ticket.
Believe this policy (quietly) changed not too long ago, and the whole change fee will get waived.
Old May 25, 16, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
The change fees are not charged until you re-book
This is not true - he will need to pay the change fee at the time he initiates the change, which can be up until 30 minutes prior to his flight departure (obviously I wouldn't cut it quite that close.) So most likely, he will need to pay $1,200, and will be left with three $1,200 credits in the names of the travelers.

Once he has those credits, he has until Oct 2016 to book (but not necessarily fly) a new ticket for the same traveler with them.

If he likes, he can book a throw-away airfare for each ticket by using each one to book a $50ish one-way ticket no one ever actually flies, then he would have three $1,150 residual credits he can use on any ticket that would expire sometime in Oct 2017 (one year after he books those $50 throw-away tickets).

I think - I'm not personally sure that the $1,150 ECVs expire but I'm sure someone else will clarify that issue.

Short answer:

It will cost you $1200 to keep this $3,600 for use with the original travelers through Oct 2016, and about $1,350 to keep this $3,600 for use with anyone through at least Oct 2017.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: