Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Dec 22, 15, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA View Post
Thanks everyone.
The wiki of this thread has some additional useful information
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
You need to read the fare rules to be sure, but in general:

(*) Most cheap United tickets are not REFUNDABLE (you do not get money back to your form of payment if you cancel the trip).

(*) Most cheap United tickets are CHANGEABLE and do carry RESIDUAL VALUE (it is usually possible to cancel an itinerary then pay a change fee and book a new flight, with payment for the new flight coming with credit from the originally booked flight, subject to certain time limits that have the effect that you can't use the credit very far in the future).

The UA message here is completely true (your L fare is probably not refundable) but maybe confusing (you can probably pay a change fee and use the value of your ticket to book a new one). In the UA structure you don't have to pay the fee until you book the new trip (but you do have to pay the fee with new money). You gotta get the new ticket issued before the value of the old ticket expires.

United has, occasionally but very rarely, issued some super cheap fares with terms that make them, not only nonrefundable but also nonchangeable and with no residual value ("use it or lose it"). These kinds of fares are very rare; it's difficult to find a "use it or lose it" fare.
If you book domestic one way tickets, then you could very well end up with a ticket that costs less than the change fee. While not by rule "use it or lose it", in effect, it is since no one would pay the change fee to access a credit amount less than the fee.
Old Jan 5, 16, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
So, I have a friend with a DEN-LIM one way ticket. Non refundable, cheap S fare. He would like to change the date for the ticket, but changes only appear on S fare and cost the same. However, when doing a search on united.com, I see that there are tickets for less than 1/3 the price offered for changes.

Can he cancel the ticket, then pay the change fee and book it into the new cheaper fare (L) and give the ETC residual value to me to use?

I just noticed it's a round-trip ticket and he already flew the LIM-DEN outbound. This would give no residual value, right?
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:44 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
So, I have a friend with a DEN-LIM one way ticket. Non refundable, cheap S fare. He would like to change the date for the ticket, but changes only appear on S fare and cost the same. However, when doing a search on united.com, I see that there are tickets for less than 1/3 the price offered for changes.

Can he cancel the ticket, then pay the change fee and book it into the new cheaper fare (L) and give the ETC residual value to me to use?

I just noticed it's a round-trip ticket and he already flew the LIM-DEN outbound. This would give no residual value, right?
I'm pretty sure you can still rebook, the only question is what the fare breakdown might be. I actually got an ETC when rebooking an open jaw booking, after having flown the outbound. (I.e. I changed the return airports AND received an ETC of roughly $100.)
Old Feb 19, 16, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
United Flight Credit

Had a substantial ticket that I had to cancel due to a broken foot I had suffered. I used part of the ticket to book a new flight but then was told I would get an email on how to use the remaining credit. But never received an email regarding that credit. Don't see anything on the website pointing to that fact either. Does anyone know how to use this flight credit or where to find it?

Last edited by nwdogahunt; Feb 19, 16 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 19, 16, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You'll probably never see the Voucher if they did the same thing to you..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25654814-post11.html

When you are ready to book, just call in with the original PNR and they will be able to book a new flight with the remaining value. Make sure you do it before the 1 year expiry date of the 1st original ticket.
Old May 2, 16, 3:22 pm

united 'credit' after cancelling flight?

i have a booking with United in P booking class. Because I have to change my routing, it's way cheaper for me to book a completely new flight.

Now, according to the person on the phone, I pay a 250 euro cancellation fine, and the remainder of the fare stays with United as some sort of credit, which I can use for booking another United flight

can anyone share some experience with this? How long is the credit valid? Towards any united booked (also codeshare??) flights? Just the base fare or also taxes? And am I only going to get the base fare refunded in credit, or also the taxes?
Old May 2, 16, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
When you purchase a discount, non-refundable fare and then cancel, the monies remain with UA. There is no fee to cancel however to access the credit (base fare and fees and taxes) to purchase another ticket, there will be a fee (and this is new money - you can not deduct it from the credit) that varies based on the original ticket purchased. The new ticket must be purchased within a year of the purchase date of the original ticket and can only be for the same person.

If the new ticket does not use the entire credit, a credit voucher for remainder will be issued. You have one year from when it is issued to use and it can be used by anyone.

More details are in this thread's wiki.
Old May 3, 16, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
When you purchase a discount, non-refundable fare and then cancel, the monies remain with UA. There is no fee to cancel however to access the credit (base fare and fees and taxes) to purchase another ticket, there will be a fee (and this is new money - you can not deduct it from the credit) that varies based on the original ticket purchased. The new ticket must be purchased within a year of the purchase date of the original ticket and can only be for the same person.

If the new ticket does not use the entire credit, a credit voucher for remainder will be issued. You have one year from when it is issued to use and it can be used by anyone.

More details are in this thread's wiki.
thanks, I have read the wiki, very informative!
Old May 14, 16, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Use Non refundable ticket residual for someone else

Is there a way to get the residual value of a K class ticket in a form that can be used by someone else?

Our friends have tickets that they may not be able to use. My understanding is that the ticket can only be reissued in their names.

Is this correct?
Old May 14, 16, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
Is there a way to get the residual value of a K class ticket in a form that can be used by someone else?

Our friends have tickets that they may not be able to use. My understanding is that the ticket can only be reissued in their names.

Is this correct?
Pay the $200 change fee to exchange the existing ticket to the cheapest itinerary you can find, any residual value between the old and new tickets will be issued in the form of a travel certificate that can be used by anyone.
Old May 24, 16, 2:43 am

Programs: United MP Plat, Qatar PC Plat, AB Gold
Last minute cancellation, do I get a refund ?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I'd booked a trip to Vegas in February, leaving tomorrow, paid by travel certificate + cash for a return trip. The total amount is 4016 Swedish Krona.

Somehow I don't feel like going tomorrow.

I heard if I cancelled the ticket, I will get a credit of 4016 SEK for reuse in the future ? Can anyone confirm that ? I'm a platinum member.

Fare Breakdown
Airfare:3,305SEK
Sweden Passenger Charge: 156 U.S.
Customs User Fee: 45 U.S.
Immigration User Fee: 57 U.S.
APHIS User Fee: 32 U.S.
Transportation Tax: 292
September 11th Security Fee: 92
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 37
Per Person
Total: 4,016SEK
eTicket Total: 4,016SEK

Last edited by dehetoxic; May 24, 16 at 2:51 am
Old May 24, 16, 3:56 am

Yes, you will get a credit of SEK 4016 for the trip.
There will probably be a penalty applicable. This needs to be paid as a new charge to use the SEK 4016.

So, for example, if there's a penalty of 500, you would pay the 500 by card to make use of the 4016.

What is the booking class of your ticket? Do you know the fare basis code?
Old May 24, 16, 4:02 am

Programs: United MP Plat, Qatar PC Plat, AB Gold
Originally Posted by skycrab View Post
Yes, you will get a credit of SEK 4016 for the trip.
There will probably be a penalty applicable. This needs to be paid as a new charge to use the SEK 4016.

So, for example, if there's a penalty of 500, you would pay the 500 by card to make use of the 4016.

What is the booking class of your ticket? Do you know the fare basis code?
Thanks, the booking class is K.
By any chance do you know how much is the penalty fees usually is ?

When I try to change date or re-book to another destination, there is a change fees of 1200 SEK though, does it mean the penalty fees is 1200 SEK ?
Old May 24, 16, 4:17 am

Correct.

So, if you do cancel, the ticket will go to the inactive tab on: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...n/default.aspx

When you want to make use of the SEK 4016, you'll go here and click "Change Flight" and effectively make a new booking.

At this point, you'll pay the SEK 1200 fee.

If the new booking is less than SEK 4016, you'll get a refund by way of an e-Cert for the difference.

For what it's worth, SEK 1200 is about GBP 98, which to me, is very good for a K class change fee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: