Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Dec 3, 15, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I did something similar recently (ZRH-SEA), and was offered itineraries involving LX. Why would this case be different?

(It was originally a SEA-ZRH + AAR-SEA itinerary, with the AAR-SEA (originally on AC) trip first rebooked to ZRH-SEA on UA, then cancelled, then rebooked as ZRH-SEA on UA - however I was offered LX for ZRH-SEA, via both ORD and SFO, both times that I was rebooking. Economy ticket, fare class K or L I think.)
Old Dec 7, 15, 3:08 pm

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Canceled Flight Credit

Looking for some assistance and clarification.

Of all the boneheaded moves this takes the cake for me. I FARELOCKED two different flights, but apparently I some how actually BOOKED one of them - and that's the one I'm not going to fly. It's over 24 hours so the agent canceled it for me. It's about 5 grand for me and my SO. Ugh. It was really unclear to me how I get the credit applied to a new flight.

She said I hold on to the reservation number and call in to book a new flight. They will charge me the change fee ($200 per person) and then apply the balance. Does this sound right?

Do I get a voucher or something for any balance?

Costly error. I'm not booking flights late at night again.
Old Dec 7, 15, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Yeah that sounds right. You can change it right from the cancelled reservation itinerary page, and book a new flight. It will subtract the cancellation fee from the new total, and apply the remaining balance to your new reservation, good for a year.
Old Dec 7, 15, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Yeah that sounds right. You can change it right from the cancelled reservation itinerary page, and book a new flight. It will subtract the cancellation fee from the new total, and apply the remaining balance to your new reservation, good for a year.
Wouldn't let me do it for a flight that I already fairlocked unfortunately. Do they mail me a cert or something?
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire View Post
Wouldn't let me do it for a flight that I already fairlocked unfortunately. ....
Credit can not be used if the flight has a assigned PNR because the "new" will have the previous cancelled flight's PNR. So only for "new" flight bookings.
... Do they mail me a cert or something?
the wiki has the step by step explanation. There a multiple caveats.
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Wouldn't let me do it for a flight that I already fairlocked unfortunately. Do they mail me a cert or something?
You might want to consider punting on the farelock and using the credit for the same flight.

A large credit can be a challenge to get full value out of. You presumably have a chance to do so immediately.
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
You might want to consider punting on the farelock and using the credit for the same flight.
I would punt, except I have the last two Y seats on OGG-IAD on the day after New Years! Not willing to punt and risk that someone else snags them in the seconds in between.

The Wiki says:

- The new ticket must be for the same named traveler

What happens if it's two people? Do I need both of us on the PNR?
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

The Wiki says:

- The new ticket must be for the same named traveler

What happens if it's two people? Do I need both of us on the PNR?
Each passagner gets their flight credit in their name.
The initial rebooking needs to be identical or the cancelled flight needs to be split.
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Each passagner gets their flight credit in their name.
The initial rebooking needs to be identical or the cancelled flight needs to be split.
Thanks. Is splitting something I can do at any time later? Presumably then we both have a credit that is tied to the original reservation number?
Old Dec 7, 15, 4:48 pm

Thanks. Is splitting something I can do at any time later? Presumably then we both have a credit that is tied to the original reservation number?
yes and yes -- but the key issue is the credit is not for the purchaser but for each of the passengers separately.
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
yes and yes -- but the key issue is the credit is not for the purchaser but for each of the passengers separately.
Thanks. That's pretty key but not a problem in this instance.
Old Dec 22, 15, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Credit for Cancelled Flight

I had to cancel a flight and now have a credit minus the change fee. A couple questions:

1) Do I have 1 year from the date of the flight to use it? Or 1 year from the date I originally booked the flight? Or 1 year from the date I cancelled the flight?

2) Do I just have to book it before the 1 year expires or do I also have to fly before the 1 year expires?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 22, 15, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Fly4SCUBA View Post
I had to cancel a flight and now have a credit minus the change fee. A couple questions:

1) Do I have 1 year from the date of the flight to use it? Or 1 year from the date I originally booked the flight? Or 1 year from the date I cancelled the flight?

2) Do I just have to book it before the 1 year expires or do I also have to fly before the 1 year expires?

Thanks in advance.
Here's the rule I copied directly from the standard fare rules of a typical non-refundable ticket:

WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST BE EXCHANGED NO LATER
THAN ONE YEAR / 365 DAYS / OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET
ISSUE DATE OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

You don't have to fly within a year..if you pay the $200 fee (assuming this is domestic) you can use the funds for a new ticket and the ticket issue date resets. But you do have to exchange the ticket within 1 year of the original ticket date.
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Here's the rule I copied directly from the standard fare rules of a typical non-refundable ticket:

WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST BE EXCHANGED NO LATER
THAN ONE YEAR / 365 DAYS / OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET
ISSUE DATE OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.

You don't have to fly within a year..if you pay the $200 fee (assuming this is domestic) you can use the funds for a new ticket and the ticket issue date resets. But you do have to exchange the ticket within 1 year of the original ticket date.
I can confirm this. I just cancelled a ticket Saturday that was purchased in October, and asked very specific questions. I was told that I had to re-use by the original purchase date but travel could commence any time after that.
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: