Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}

Old Oct 11, 15, 10:23 am

Question on ticket: NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE

Hello everyone,

So around a month a go I bought a fairly expensive United-issue international ticket to Europe with the code:

NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE

I cannot make that trip anymore.

I'd have 2 specific questions:

1) What would be the last moment that I'd have to call them to cancel the reservation? Would it be the moment check-in closes for that flight?
I'd like to try and wait to see whether the flight schedule is altered, or the flight itself is heavily delayed /canceled, which would allow me to cancel the ticket without paying a fee.

2) When I call them to "cancel" the ticket, do I need to provide them right away with a new itinerary to be booked, or will they issue a voucher with Travel Funds (equal to the amount I paid minus the 300 dollar change fee) that I get to use whenever I want within one year of the original ticket issue date?

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 11, 15, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1. I would not do it with less than an hour to takeoff.

2. Neither - it's a credit that will cost you $300 (if that was your change fee) to use next time you want to book a ticket with that money.
Old Oct 11, 15, 11:39 am

1. As the previous poster said, don't cut it too close to departure. If you have an account online then you can cancel your reservation there.

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
2. Neither - it's a credit that will cost you $300 (if that was your change fee) to use next time you want to book a ticket with that money.
Just to expand on this a bit: if you wish to rebook online then the way you use the credit is rather unintuitive. You'll have to go to your inactive reservations, choose the one that you "cancelled", and then change your flight there. I wish United implemented a virtual wallet on their website that would keep track of your credits and vouchers along with any earmarks associated with them.
Old Oct 11, 15, 1:28 pm

^^Thanks a lot, guys.

Yes, I do have an account online, that's great advise.

We'll see if I get lucky, but I kind of already assumed that I'll be losing the 300 bucks. My bad... I guess sometimes you win by booking early, and sometimes you lose...
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Departure is departure. If you are a risk taker, you can call up until the flight closes, presumably at T-10. But, you risk not being able to get through, dropping your phone, having an emergency of some other kind or becoming distracted.

All of those factors suggest to me that even T-60 begins to push things.
Old Oct 15, 15, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Edit: Yes, the warning language threw me off but "Cancel" reservation was the right action to make it inactive but still preserve the value.

Original post:
I used an ETC from a VDB to book a flight that I now have to cancel (this is before departure of the entire ticket).

I read through this thread, but got nervous about canceling it under "My Reservations" because it says "This reservation has no refundable value if cancelled. A refund will not be credited." It doesn't say anything about the option to pay the change fee in the future. (I would like pay the fee and book a future flight, but no specific plans yet).

Is "Cancel" reservation the right move, and does the fact that it was booked with an ETC matter?

Last edited by GretelNick; Oct 15, 15 at 7:17 pm Reason: new info
Old Oct 31, 15, 2:02 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by blackllotus View Post
Just to expand on this a bit: if you wish to rebook online then the way you use the credit is rather unintuitive. You'll have to go to your inactive reservations, choose the one that you "cancelled", and then change your flight there.
I am still having the problem where, even though I do what's describe above, the new fare is 50% (or more) higher when I select "change" than if I just book a new ticket. I have tried calling the web support but they just quote the higher fare and suggest that it may have changed since I looked it up (not true). Am I just getting the wrong person? Does anyone have any additional advice? It seems really shady that I pay a change fee AND a higher fare.
Old Oct 31, 15, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by FlippyTheRed View Post
I am still having the problem where, even though I do what's describe above, the new fare is 50% (or more) higher when I select "change" than if I just book a new ticket. I have tried calling the web support but they just quote the higher fare and suggest that it may have changed since I looked it up (not true). Am I just getting the wrong person? Does anyone have any additional advice? It seems really shady that I pay a change fee AND a higher fare.
This is not usually and has to do with the repricing algorithm. You can try a phone agent but they may have the same issue -- try request web support and see if they can help, that is usually the best solution and it may not work either.
Old Oct 31, 15, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This is not usually and has to do with the repricing algorithm. You can try a phone agent but they may have the same issue -- try request web support and see if they can help, that is usually the best solution and it may not work either.
Upon further review (and calling until I got someone a little more helpful), it turns out that the problem was that the system wasn't giving me the full residual value for the ticket that I had cancelled. There didn't seem to be any real way to see that on the website though.

I was able to change my flight and get the correct fare and value.
Old Dec 3, 15, 10:26 am

Using canceled ticket credit

this may be a stupid question, but i need help booking a specific ticket!

i had a reservation with united a few months ago that i had to cancel. so i currently have ~$1300 credit with them. i can access this by finding my reservation and then it allows me to book a new flight. the issue i'm having is i cant find the flight i want when i search through their website, but i can find it via google flights.

i want to fly TPA to DEL on 8/13-8/28. on google flights i can find a 1 stop flight on LH on the outgoing flight and a 1 stop on LX on the return. it then routes me to the united website to complete the booking! so its' available on their website, but you have to be sent there from google flights i guess? i've tried calling and the lady insisted you cant book swiss flights on united.. so i'm at a loss here. i would love to use the credit i have (it expires in january). any help?

*this is on business class if it makes any difference*
Old Dec 3, 15, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
this may be a stupid question, but i need help booking a specific ticket!

i had a reservation with united a few months ago that i had to cancel. so i currently have ~$1300 credit with them. i can access this by finding my reservation and then it allows me to book a new flight. the issue i'm having is i cant find the flight i want when i search through their website, but i can find it via google flights.

i want to fly TPA to DEL on 8/13-8/28. on google flights i can find a 1 stop flight on LH on the outgoing flight and a 1 stop on LX on the return. it then routes me to the united website to complete the booking! so its' available on their website, but you have to be sent there from google flights i guess? i've tried calling and the lady insisted you cant book swiss flights on united.. so i'm at a loss here. i would love to use the credit i have (it expires in january). any help?

*this is on business class if it makes any difference*
The use of travel certificates is often restricted to United-operated flights. You can book Swiss flights through United, but you can't use ETCs to pay for them. Even if UA is operator of one flight and you're connecting to Swiss, you can't use them. Check out the terms and conditions of your travel certificate.

Sorry - mis-read you post... Thought you had a travel certificate, not an unused ticket. If you have a remaining credit after changing to cheap flight, yes, the credit will be only good on UA-operated flights (including United Express).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 3, 15 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 3, 15, 10:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... i had a reservation with united a few months ago that i had to cancel. so i currently have ~$1300 credit with them. ....
As already mentioned this credit can only be used on an old UA operated itin.

If you can not use the credit now, you can extend it another year
-- using a cancelled ticket is "change flight process"
-- change you cancelled ticket to a super cheap UA ticket -- under $100 (some as cheap as $50 may be possible) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-credit.html
-- you will need to pay the change fee
-- The remainder of the flight credit -- the ~$1300 credit minus the new cheap ticket will be issued as a credit that is good for 1 year from date issued and can be used by anyone.
Old Dec 3, 15, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
As already mentioned this credit can only be used on an old UA operated itin.

If you can not use the credit now, you can extend it another year
-- using a cancelled ticket is "change flight process"
-- change you cancelled ticket to a super cheap UA ticket -- under $100 (some as cheap as $50 may be possible) - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-credit.html
-- you will need to pay the change fee
-- The remainder of the flight credit -- the ~$1300 credit minus the new cheap ticket will be issued as a credit that is good for 1 year from date issued and can be used by anyone.
thanks if i do that, will the new voucher be able to be used on non-UA metal?
Old Dec 3, 15, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
thanks if i do that, will the new voucher be able to be used on non-UA metal?
The new UA voucher will work on UA metal only.
Old Dec 3, 15, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gv111 View Post
The new UA voucher will work on UA metal only.
lol thanks.. makes no sense, especially considering the original cancelled flight was on non-UA metal.. but thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Search Engine: