Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wait longer or re-book or cancel July Hawaii / LIH trip ?

Old Apr 11, 20, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Disclosure : Please know I am not a frequent traveler and very little experience to points and miles programs. I was referred to this forum by a poster on a travel forum in TA.

Our family of 4 has our very first trip to Hawaii planned July 21-29. I booked all this last fall. Itís supposed to be a family trip before we take our senior in high school to college in August. I learned and played the points game and waited for United award travel for nonstop flights to be offered and it did and I got nonstop award travel flights out of Denver to Lihue and back for all 4 of us. I believe United is offering MileagePlus members to re-deposit their points from changed or cancelled flights without any kind of re-deposit fee. Iím not any kind of Elite Status or anything . Can anybody verify if this ďno fee for re-depositing pointsĒ right now is accurate ? Does it make a difference on if Iím changing the flights to a later time in the year or waiting for United to cancel ?

I really donít know what to do. I could wait another month and hope our trip to Hawaii scheduled for third week of July could still happen. Or, I could change everything to Thanksgiving week when both our daughters and I will be on a school break (Christmas appears to be very expensive). My worry on waiting another month to see how things play out is not finding lodging availability where we really want to stay and maybe even UA award flights becoming less available. Donít you think the demand for travel later on this year will keep increasing ? Right now , those some United Award flights nonstop out of Denver to Lihue and back are available and the lodging we have picked out is the same price in November as it is this July . Obviously wonít feel as special since oldest will already have started college but we have always wanted to go to Hawaii and spent a lot of time accumulating points in a smart fashion to offset out of pocket.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 20, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No fee for redeposits is only for flights through May 31.
What is free is changes to new dates, like you may want to do for November.

But by late July, these flights will be back on full steam (yes, i know this all can change, but this is my reasoned opinion). I'd wait if I were you.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 11, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
I'd wait a little longer. However, the change fees for your ticket. United indicates this waiver lasts until April 30th. And your rebooked travel must occur within the next 24 months. So for the time being I'd wait. I suspect that the United waiver will extend by at least a month.

Personally, we have flights to Hawaii in July for a wedding. I'm hoping travel will be safer then but playing it by ear.

Link to United Waiver Policies

Last edited by mh3265a; Apr 11, 20 at 10:51 am Reason: added link
Old Apr 11, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I was talking with a friend in HNL last night and they have very strict lockdown and protocols. Currently 14 day quarantine for travel to HI.

I personally think travel in July is very likely. We are all planning on meeting in Vegas in July so we all think travel will be back, but obviously no guarantees.
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler View Post
Our family of 4 has our very first trip to Hawaii planned July 21-29.
. Can anybody verify if this “no fee for re-depositing points” right now is accurate ?
Yes, it is but for July travel you will need to decide by 30 April 2020. It is possible that may be extended but that is unknown at this time.
It is hard to keep track of all the waivers, but appears UA is recently allowing award cancellations until 30 days prior to travel for 2020 https://hub.united.com/united-mileag...645643749.html.
....Does it make a difference on if I’m changing the flights to a later time in the year or waiting for United to cancel ? ...
Presently for July flights, no. That may or may not change.

.... Don’t you think the demand for travel later on this year will keep increasing ? ....
No one knows, the airlines don't know (but sure would like to). No one here has a magic crystal ball and this situation is unknown territory for all. Many including the airlines hopes the travel will be possible in July but the airlines are warning investors it may not. Hawaii is likely to be one of the early recovery places if the Governor does not extend the mandatory quarantine

The airlines will try to reduce capacity in the meantime which may impact availability. The schedules you see for July and forward are fiction and will likely change as we get closer (for the better or for the worse)
coloradotraveler likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 20 at 11:51 am Reason: 30 day cancellation
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would guess DEN-LIH non-stop is a flight that ultimately will not be on July schedule, which means you might be routed through west coast. As for accommodations, booking are dead here (in Hawaii as a whole). You'll have no problems with accommodations in July.
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe United is offering MileagePlus members to re-deposit their points from changed or cancelled flights without any kind of re-deposit fee. Iím not any kind of Elite Status or anything . Can anybody verify if this ďno fee for re-depositing pointsĒ right now is accurate ? Does it make a difference on if Iím changing the flights to a later time in the year or waiting for United to cancel ?
That's correct. United has announced a promotion for the remainder of 2020, where there are no award redeposit fees as long as you make your decision 30 days prior to departure. I can't find a reference to that on United's site, but it came up here on FlyerTalk a few days ago, and here's a post from The Points Guy that covers it: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...edeposit-fees/

My worry on waiting another month to see how things play out is not finding lodging availability where we really want to stay and maybe even UA award flights becoming less available.
It is always possible that award flights will not be available, particularly around holiday periods.

Right now , those some United Award flights nonstop out of Denver to Lihue and back are available and the lodging we have picked out is the same price in November as it is this July . Obviously wonít feel as special since oldest will already have started college but we have always wanted to go to Hawaii and spent a lot of time accumulating points in a smart fashion to offset out of pocket.
Personally, if I lived in Colorado, I would probably prefer to go to Hawaii in November than July, just because I enjoy summer in the mountains so much, but I understand the point about having something special for your oldest.

Ultimately, it's your decision. Whether United cancels your flight or not, you have until mid-June to decide if you're comfortable taking it. However, your replacement trip, in November, could become unavailable at a moment's notice. Unfortunately, there are no easy answers.

Personally, I have overseas trips planned in late May and early July that I have already written off. I'm hoping to travel domestically instead, but Hawaii poses severe challenges due to its island nature and the massive number of tourists it normally gets. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the self-quarantine measures for arriving passengers were extended in Hawaii further than just about anywhere else in the country, because the logistics of trying to deal with an overrun health care system would be so daunting.
coloradotraveler likes this.
Old Apr 11, 20, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's correct. United has announced a promotion for the remainder of 2020, where there are no award redeposit fees as long as you make your decision 30 days prior to departure. I can't find a reference to that on United's site, but it came up here on FlyerTalk a few days ago, and here's a post from The Points Guy that covers it: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...edeposit-fees/
UA reference, https://hub.united.com/united-mileag...645643749.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 20, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Question what are your MP reward miles worth ?

So I dumped my reward travel YXX-FRA-VCE rtn. for August - when I discovered a much better deal on TAP i.e. I expect to do the trip, but its not a good use of 60K MP reward miles.
In your situation, I would be checking fares DEN-LIH before deciding ?
ps LIH is a great place to visit anytime of the year, but I also agree Nov will be nicer than in July!
Old Apr 11, 20, 1:25 pm

July should have few ppl who will hopefully stay home fearing viruses..
(or they all start traveling in droves after long lockout but imo thats less likely)
should be great time to travel
Old Apr 11, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I really donít know what to do. I could wait another month and hope our trip to Hawaii scheduled for third week of July could still happen. Or, I could change everything to Thanksgiving week when both our daughters and I will be on a school break (Christmas appears to be very expensive).
I'd wait to make changes - but you've got some tough dates ahead of you. I give Hawaii/Summer travel a 50/50 chance - and testing on arrival may be a possibility. We've already got a projected 33% unemployment right now (over 200,000 claims with a workforce just shy of 700,000) with more to come. Thanksgiving and Xmas can have a second wave of virus.

Or, this can all go poof like other viruses or a cure or who knows. So, I'd be patient and see how it plays out.
Boraxo and coloradotraveler like this.
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:08 am

Aloha, if I were you, re-book the UA flights to LIH for November. Our governor (Ige) recently announced schools will not reopen until we have 30 straight days of 0 Covid infections. You can expect other governmental agencies and the private sector to largely fall into line with this policy. Also, we currently have a 14 days quarantine for all arriving passengers. This quarantine or some modified version of it will be in play for May and more likely so than not in June and July given the current state of mind. Kauai is the strictest of the islands (the Big Island the least strict) so that's an added point to consider. For example, today a Virginia couple was arrested on Kauai at a local grocery store (Foodland) apparently on their way to their lodgings. Their crime: not going straight to their lodgings. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ay-quarantine/ Why sit on pins and needles waiting about an uncertainty in which you have no control and have to answer your family members repeated question - are we going?- when you can make a prudent choice now? November will roll around sooner than you expect.
kilo and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would just cancel the trip.

The problem now is not only cancellation due to COVID-19, but also once the world has recovered from COVID-19, the demand in travel will not as it is used to be.

OP, I understand you scored a good award reservation. But the reality is this year is definitely not a year for travel.

So I would just cancel the trip (as soon as I don't have to pay anything) and move on, maybe next year.
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 12, 20, 1:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Weíre all hoping that the economy here can he back on for July arrivals. Ideally with some kind of testing before departure if needed. As others have said though youíre likely going to be rerouted with a connection but wouldnít stress over that. Thanksgiving is usually pretty crowded so this July may be a nice unusually uncrowded time to visit.
Old Apr 12, 20, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Disclosure : Please know I am not a frequent traveler and very little experience to points and miles programs. I was referred to this forum by a poster on a travel forum in TA.

Our family of 4 has our very first trip to Hawaii planned July 21-29. I booked all this last fall. Itís supposed to be a family trip before we take our senior in high school to college in August. I learned and played the points game and waited for United award travel for nonstop flights to be offered and it did and I got nonstop award travel flights out of Denver to Lihue and back for all 4 of us. I believe United is offering MileagePlus members to re-deposit their points from changed or cancelled flights without any kind of re-deposit fee. Iím not any kind of Elite Status or anything . Can anybody verify if this ďno fee for re-depositing pointsĒ right now is accurate ? Does it make a difference on if Iím changing the flights to a later time in the year or waiting for United to cancel ?

I really donít know what to do. I could wait another month and hope our trip to Hawaii scheduled for third week of July could still happen. Or, I could change everything to Thanksgiving week when both our daughters and I will be on a school break (Christmas appears to be very expensive). My worry on waiting another month to see how things play out is not finding lodging availability where we really want to stay and maybe even UA award flights becoming less available. Donít you think the demand for travel later on this year will keep increasing ? Right now , those some United Award flights nonstop out of Denver to Lihue and back are available and the lodging we have picked out is the same price in November as it is this July . Obviously wonít feel as special since oldest will already have started college but we have always wanted to go to Hawaii and spent a lot of time accumulating points in a smart fashion to offset out of pocket.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
I would hold fast until much closer to your dates and see what shakes out. One thing to be sure of is everything will change several times before your July dates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: