Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wait longer or re-book or cancel July Hawaii / LIH trip ?

Wait longer or re-book or cancel July Hawaii / LIH trip ?

Old Apr 15, 20, 10:34 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I wish UA would consider pseudo-milk runs. Maybe (as I've suggested before and Kirby's not listening ) SFO-LIH-HNL-SFO, SFO-OGG-HNL-SFO, SFO-KOA-HNL-SFO. Still provides outer-island service, captures some inter-island, and provides heft between SFO and HNL.
I remember when United did a triangle out of Chicago O'Hare. Following the number scheme of flights 1 and 2, flight 3 used to fly ORD to OGG, next OGG to KOA, and then KOA back to ORD. It was impressive how a large 777 would fly that short distance between OGG and KOA. People would get on and off at both. You also got to see quite a difference between the two Hawaiian airports, with KOA having a black volcanic runway, open air airport, and stairs to walk down out of the plane rather than the jet bridge. Those were the old days!
cawhite likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:19 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler View Post
Our family of 4 has our very first trip to Hawaii planned July 21-29.
I feel for you. Been to Hawaii several times with family. It's a bummer to have longstanding plans jeopardized.

I could wait another month and hope our trip to Hawaii scheduled for third week of July could still happen. Or, I could change everything to Thanksgiving week when both our daughters and I will be on a school break.
With all due respect, you don't know what the state of affairs will be in November. It may seem a long way off, but it isn't. A resurgence of COVID-19 could easily occur. Colleges may not be in session.

RNE, trying to be a realist, not an alarmist.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:40 am
Original Poster

July trip planned- should I cancel ?

Hello. I posted here a few weeks ago. . . I'm an inexperienced traveler from Colorado who played the points game to offset costs to Kauai departing July 21. I patiently waited until September 2019 to see if non-stop award flights would become available and they did. So for four of us, the total points for 4 non-stop flights DEN-LIH-DEN was 180,000 pts. This trip is/was supposed to be our first trip to Hawaii and one where we have some great memories before our senior daughter goes off to college in August. As many of you may know, Kauai extended it's 14-day traveler quarantine through May 30 yesterday. So now I can either wait until early June to ask United for my points back or, ideally, because of the island's hard (and very respectable) stance to protect the island from the virus, hope that this hard stance makes it more likely July is actually a possibility.

The questions weighing on my mind: 1) is that non-stop flight even going to be available anymore? Some mentioned we would probably have a stop on west coast, which I am fine with... non-stop was ideal, but a stop on west coast not a deal breaker. 2) what will a trip to this island look like in July? Will all or many restaurants, tour companies, etc. be open? 3) if going in July doesn't look good, do I hang on to the points until things clear up and try to re-book later this year or maybe summer next year and if so, will my points be valued the same since I'm assuming airlines are struggling big time right now? 4) I've even wondered, even though Hawaii has been our dream vacation for awhile, is there anywhere else we have a better chance of having an enjoyable family vacation to in July? I sure like the look of the Maldives but pretty sure we can't swing that kind of $$$$$!

I know this is a long post. I am relying on experienced travelers to give me some advice and think about. My last post a few weeks ago was fairly divided on whether we should wait a little longer or just cancel now and forget about it. I know nobody has a crystal ball, but I like seeing people's comments . It gives me things to think about that maybe I wouldn't have.
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:49 am

Given the uncertainty of travel this year and probably early next year, I will take advantage of the free award deposit and forget about any trips in short term. You have to cancel the award trip 30 days before departure with redeposit fee waived.

Given the schedule is in flux, any direct flight you have may be changed to multiple stops and depart days later.

I would wait till 30 days before departure and decide.

​​​​​The good news is that for award flights you don't have to fight with UA and wait a month to get news for refunds.
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
There is much uncertainty with summer leisure travel and equally with summer Hawaii travel.
Such as Approach to summer trip? Cancel for credit by April 30 or wait? Will it be extended?

UA has filed to discontinue LIH/ITO/KOA travel . For now, it will be downsizing flights and doing multiple Hawaiian stops on the same flight.

Conditions on the island is discussed in Hawaii FT Forum

I helped a friend yesterday to cancel a 4 July first time to Hawaiian trip
Old Apr 26, 20, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
1) is that non-stop flight even going to be available anymore? Some mentioned we would probably have a stop on west coast, which I am fine with... non-stop was ideal, but a stop on west coast not a deal breaker.
I would not count on a nonstop this summer as UA has cancelled so many, even from hubs. However I am almost certain there will be DEN-SFO-HNL/OGG and perhaps SFO-LIH so if you want to go I think UA will find a way to get you there. It just might involve a couple of stops.

2) what will a trip to this island look like in July? Will all or many restaurants, tour companies, etc. be open?
At this point there is a 14-day quarantine for all incoming visitors. You will want to watch that closely because it makes no sense for you to visit if you have to stay in your hotel/condo/whatever for 2 weeks. No beach. No pool. Nada. Check the Hawaii forum for further updates.

But more to your point, all restaurants and tour companies are currently closed and likely to stay that way through May 31. My personal view is that June is iffy, but I'm trying to stay optimistic about July. By that point I hope beaches are open (as is already the case here in many California counties) and restaurants will still have takeout service. Hiking is free though Hawaii national parks are currently closed.

3) if going in July doesn't look good, do I hang on to the points until things clear up and try to re-book later this year or maybe summer next year and if so, will my points be valued the same since I'm assuming airlines are struggling big time right now?
Personally I don't think it is a good use of points as fares have plummeted to Hawaii, but it depends on your cash situation and. From SFO I would rather spend $300/pp than use 45k miles RT. 180k points can get you a RT to Europe/Asia in business class and then some. But if you have a million miles maybe its preferable to spending cash.

4) I've even wondered, even though Hawaii has been our dream vacation for awhile, is there anywhere else we have a better chance of having an enjoyable family vacation to in July? I sure like the look of the Maldives but pretty sure we can't swing that kind of $$$$$!
I think Hawaii is your best bet right now for June/July/August as many international destinations are not accepting visitors from USA or other countries. We were planning to go to Mexico in June but our flight was cancelled (and the resort is closed) so we are now looking at Maui for July.

So in sum, I would wait to see how this plays out, and re-evaluate before you hit the 30-day deadline. You aren't going to miss out on anything else this summer by waiting.
Old May 29, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Based on today's press conference, I recommend re-booking. Quarantine will be extended beyond 30-June, new date to be announced soon.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...avid-ige-says/

I just changed mine

-sr
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 29, 20, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by small ring View Post
Based on today's press conference, I recommend re-booking. Quarantine will be extended beyond 30-June, new date to be announced soon.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...avid-ige-says/

I just changed mine

-sr
It was yesterday - but yes, expect UA's flights for July to be wiped off of the schedule. Wait until they remove the flights - then ask for a refund as extremely unlikely than get you there in the 6 hour timeframe.
small ring likes this.
Old May 29, 20, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly enough, I read on “ Beat of Hawaii”’ southwest adding daily flights to Kauai and other islands starting in July . They must think the quarantine will be over June 30?
Old May 29, 20, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Interestingly enough, I read on “ Beat of Hawaii”’ southwest adding daily flights to Kauai and other islands starting in July . They must think the quarantine will be over June 30?
As posted in the link above and covered in the Hawaii forum, the Governor was unequivocal in his statement that the quarantine will extend beyond June 30th.
Old May 29, 20, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southwest probably announced that before Hawaii said it'd be extended. But Southwest may wait until Hawaii announces a new specific "until" date, before announcing a change to that schedule.

Plus, while the governor has said it'd be extended beyond June 30, whether ti's extended through all of July or just part of it, I don't think that's known yet. So did Southwest say when in July exactly?
Old May 29, 20, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Luv-2-Travel View Post
I remember when United did a triangle out of Chicago O'Hare. Following the number scheme of flights 1 and 2, flight 3 used to fly ORD to OGG, next OGG to KOA, and then KOA back to ORD. It was impressive how a large 777 would fly that short distance between OGG and KOA. People would get on and off at both. You also got to see quite a difference between the two Hawaiian airports, with KOA having a black volcanic runway, open air airport, and stairs to walk down out of the plane rather than the jet bridge. Those were the old days!
Delta did a mainland-OGG-HNL-mainland route at one time w/ a L1011. I can't remember from which mainland city, though.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 29, 20 at 2:58 pm Reason: speling
Old May 30, 20, 2:07 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
This is not flight related, admittedly, but it's tourism related and paints a stark picture: "No cruise visitors until [the] second half of 2021," the report noted, adding that it could take six years for visitor arrivals to recover to the 2019 level based on the 2009 Great Recession pace.

Source: http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/econom...ser-2020q2.pdf
Old May 30, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
UA still has a full schedule of Hawaiian Islands flights in July - they might be betting quarantine won't really last until July 31.
Old May 30, 20, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
UA still has a full schedule of Hawaiian Islands flights in July - they might be betting quarantine won't really last until July 31.
The lieutenant governor has been floating a "Travel with Aloha" plan in which mainlanders can avoid the quarantine by getting a negative covid test result within 72 hours of the flight to Hawaii.

As much as the governor and other leaders like him may wish to deny admission to the rest of the US for months more I don't know how it's sustainable. Unemployment is about 35%, with part of Kauai at 94%! The CARES act unemployment checks will run out as of end of July, and Hawaii's revenue and economy will be terribly impacted if tourists are not let in. I'd lay even odds at being able to get in by the time of your trip, so I'd hang on a bit longer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: